Looking to upgrade my A600

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
Hello everyone I am looking to make some changes to my A600 and I have some questions to ask of the Amiga Gurus located on this site. I have found an adapter that is cheap, but I don't know if it works or not. It looks like the one from the thread on the A600 in the forums, but I cannot be certain about anything. I know it's an evilbay link but I cannot find a 44 pin card locally. http://cgi.ebay.com/44-Pin-IDE-To-C...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9fa7b551
At least it's a buy it now. My 630 accelerator is apparently overclocked to 40MHz and I want to remove the heat generating hard disk from the case. The accelerator I have is like the following one.
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/ematrix630
It's fully populated memory wise, but I cannot get it to identify all of the memory. I also was curious about the type of compact flash card I can use? I have heard Kingston, but I have also heard San Disk only. So which one do I use? I only have 2.04 or 2.05 kickstart so I know I cannot go larger than 2GB. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
For that price I would just buy it, a cf card is basically a hard disk by pin communication at least. There is no reason, I've searched everywhere why certain adapter devices would not work for amiga. (the simple ones, without to much electronics I mean)

I bought my smallbox amiga adapters from china, my bigbox bracket also, they all worked out of the box...

I don't understand the CF problems, since I never had any problem with any card & cf card, but I would not take the risk, I only tested for short periods, but never setting up a card I did not have a problem. There a lot of users here complaining about brands, that means something..

The last CF I used in my bigbox amiga was a transcent compactflash 133x 4GB together with a bracket (removable for small box) cfdisk IDE/ CF adaptor not hot swap ELONEX 94V-1 RoHS other label: Yingstar S/N: 18842640. Have some fun on evilbay, don't pay more then 5 EU for the hardware, inc shipping.

If this same complaints are still going on for a couple of months I'll start my own business selling it :bowdown::bowdown: With partitioned solutions, of course

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
As you're running the accelerator upgrade you Rom to 3.1 then you can run something like Classic Workench (Look at the Lite & Full versions) as for the CF-IDE it should be fine, although with the cheaper ones the HDD activity LED probably won't work as they tend to be missing the required circuits.

Steve.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Oh, please do not look up the part numbers i gave, it is a big hard disk pin out:( Not small ide, a convertor would mean extra.. Wanted to share the right info, but messed up

I still wan't to sell a small ide hard disk 40 GB, It can be formatted send, looking for 10 eu.. + shipping (small amount) (partitions not over 2 GB:huh:, I don't wan't to figure it out), but there is some info in the stickey's on here.

Meaning the right laptop hard disk..

Handling: one week
Shipping: 2 day's
Transfer: to UK 5 day's up to two weeks

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
What are the memory issues you're having with the accelerator? I didn't think you could add extra RAM to that card. The E-matrix cards are only 4MB or 8MB fixed, and allocate their RAM into the 24-bit address space, so an 8MB card will rule out the PCMCIA port too.

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
From what I can gather from what I have been told is that if all 4 ram spots are populated you have an 8MB card. My card is fully populated but I can only get it to recognize 4MB. So unless my card is not what it looks like then I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@Nathanieltolbert: The aaccelerator you have is just like the Viper 630 i have, only difference mine is the 4MB model. If like you say all memory banks are populated, you DO have the 8MB version. If that is the case, and you don't see the whole thing, it's probably due to a jumper that gives you a PCMCIA-friendly mode of 4MB. There's only one jumper onboard if i remember correct, probably yours is activated to 4MB. If you don't need any PCMCIA device, try changing the jumper position, and see what happens...

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
There are two jumpers on the bottom, one disables the accelerator and the other does something, I have no clue, I thought it made it PCMCIA friendly. Apparently not. I also don't have an FPU on it but I have no clue what kind to get to install in it. It appears to be a PGA form but I don't know anything more than that. I thought that 2.05 Kickstart (or 2.04 can never remember which.) could see hard drives up to 2 GB. Is that wrong? Thanks for the help so far, everyone is really helping me narrow down my choices to limit my mistakes. It cannot be a limit of 40MB because I have a 200MB hard drive in there right at the moment.. Maybe it's 200MB?

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
I thought that 2.05 Kickstart (or 2.04 can never remember which.) could see hard drives up to 2 GB. Is that wrong? Thanks for the help so far, everyone is really helping me narrow down my choices to limit my mistakes. It cannot be a limit of 40MB because I have a 200MB hard drive in there right at the moment.. Maybe it's 200MB?
I was always told it was 40Mb but IDK, could you actually write an OS on all 200Mb or only in 40Mb partitions?

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
First i believe you should find out what ROM version it is you're using.
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_600 the info says:
"Early revisions of the A600 were shipped with Kickstart revision 37.299, which, to the surprise of some, neither had support for the internal ATA controller, nor for the PCMCIA interface. Although it was possible to load the necessary drivers from a floppy disk, it wasn't possible to boot directly from ATA or PCMCIA devices. Only later models of the A600 and especially the A600HD were equipped with Kickstart 37.300 or 37.350, which both were able to utilize those devices at boot time. Due to bugs in Kickstart 37.300, the maximum supported size of a hard drive was limited to 40 MB. Everything above this size was a game of chance. In contrast, version 37.350 was capable of supporting hard drives up to 4 GB."
You could either open up the case and check if your ROM chip has a tag mentioning the version, or boot into Workbench and select the About menu, which should bring up a window telling you what you got!

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
I booted the machine and it indeed has 37.350 Kickstart ROM. I wouldn't mind getting a 3.1 ROM and a switcher, but I will need to wait a while before I purchase something like that.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Final notes:

37.300 kickstart accept up to 4Gb as any 3.0/3.1 system, but it is a guessing game regarding what will work or not. It securely read any 40Mb IDE HD. Above that...:banghead: With my 37300 I used a 6.5Gb with no problems:!:

37350 will accept any HD up to 4Gb, but you'll have to stick the system to the (buggy) 2.1 Workbench.

40.063 (the 3.1 for 68000 systems) accept anything you throw at it, but again only 4Gb will show with no fuss. IDEfix97 (not IDEMAX!) will unleash the rest of the drive with the correct file system (AFS is the only alternative for 68000 CPU). Up to 8Gb. Not bad at all for a humble A600!

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
Why would I buy a castrated A1200 when I have a fully expanded A4000? I am looking to upgrade my A600, not be insulted. I know the limitations of the A600 and the ECS chipset. I did not ask about what machine I should buy. I have every Big Box Amiga except for an A4000T and I have shown them in pictures on this website. I specifically asked for assistance in upgrading the A600. If you don't like the A600, don't read the posts. Back on topic. Concerning the type of Compact Flash cards. I have read the I should use Kingston, and I have heard I should use San-Disk which is the more stable of the two?

-Edit- Sorry for being a bit terse. I have not been having a good day today. I do not wish to be overly aggressive, I just get tired of hearing people criticizing others for their choices. As Amiga users we hear it from other people enough, we shouldn't be make judgments about which Amiga computers we use.

Last edited:

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Hey Nathan!

I haven't seen you around much. I'm glad you are here. :)

To answer your memory question, I have used both Sandisk and Kingston in my A4000 without any issues but I had fewer issues when configuring the Sandisk. The Kingston took me a few tries to get it going. :)

Best of luck with your upgrade! I'd love to see a pic when you're done.

Take care,

Heather

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Transcend cards are good for unexpanded Amigas, too. I installed one in A1200 (no Fast RAM, no PCMCIA SRAM).

Worked pretty flawless.

Top Bottom