AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
No, not this kind of leek:

nonhybrid-leek.gif

We woke up to water dripping through the ceiling in the spare room which I use as my man cave/games room.

Luckily the water was dripping onto the carpet which was pretty wet and not onto any of my stuff.

Of course we got a plumber out and he's sorted the problem which was the overflow tank for our heating system, there was a large body of water just waiting to come through so we're lucky we weren't away or that we were up early for work as I'm sure the ceiling was not far away from giving up completely.

We put a hole with a screwdriver and it filled a bucket!

Last edited:

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
Sorry about your leek Steve, but well happy your retro gear was safe and sound......Phew moment !:)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Yeah if the ceiling had come through a lot off stuff would have been ruined!

The drip was right by the door with a large floor area, about the best possible place...

Not looking forward to the repairs though, probably go through the insurance as the plaster on the ceiling and wall will need doing. Carpet should be ok as we noticed the leak early.

Firthy2002

DF0:NDOS
AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Wow good thing you were around to catch it before major damage ensued!

manic23

Only Amiga Makes it Happen
Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
Blimey, you were lucky I must admit I have often worried about that happening in my games room, really glad your stuff was not damaged, that lovely A4000 of yours, would have been a disaster if that had got water in it

DojoDan

Blogger
Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
Yikes mate, that could've been aweful. I recently moved the bottom drawer of stuff to the top just incase of major leakage. Come to think of it the water tank is right above that room. Glad it didn't drip on anything anyway Steve!

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
I'd leave the hole in the ceiling in case it ever happens again. That way you can control where it drips.

Bryce.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks guys. @Bryce, that's a really good idea! Maybe leave a bucket there too LOL

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
I'd leave the hole in the ceiling in case it ever happens again. That way you can control where it drips.

Bryce.

@ Bryce, German Engineering solution thinking at its best ! :)

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
you got lucky there mate,i hope you sort it soon

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks guys. Plumber fixed the leak so just to let it dry out and get the plastering done then decorate. The room was due decorating anyway, I'll miss the dinosaur wallpaper though lol. http://www.fitzstevesamigaworld.co.uk/?p=61

Need to get the heating system overhauled in the not too distant future, that's going to cost me a few quid...

Last edited:

slk486

Asking the questions because I DON'T KNOW
VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sealand
Sounds like a really close call! Phew :unsure:

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
Thanks guys. Plumber fixed the leak so just to let it dry out and get the plastering done then decorate. The room was due decorating anyway, I'll miss the dinosaur wallpaper though lol. http://www.fitzstevesamigaworld.co.uk/?p=61

Need to get the heating system overhauled in the not too distant future, that's going to cost me a few quid...

You're not wrong, just finished having central heating installed in my house today and I haven't got much folding change from 5 grand.
Still, for the first time in 2 years, the house is warm, including the bathroom, and I'm really looking forward to using my new shower tomorrow morning! :D

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
We had our Bathroom done last year, got one of those waterfall type Shower with pump. It's awesome :D

For now we're probably going to get new Radiators for downstairs, boiler service and find out why the system overflows into the header tank (some kind of pressure build up)

This was where it overflowed and leaked, hence coming through the ceiling! The pipe that was above the header had moved so the water was missing the header tank (doh!)

Easy temporary fix in the end...

Last edited:
Top Bottom