Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi All,

I purchased an M-Tec 1230 recently through these forums and it arrived today however it appears not to be working.

I could tell immediately something was wrong when I opened the box becuase it had a funny smell, like something that had burnt out.

I went ahead and tried it in my A1200 and all that happens it the power led flashes and I either get a yellow or red screen.

I've looked these up, yellow suggests CPU and red ROM. However my A1200 boots fine without the M-Tec and also with my Typhoon MK2.

Can anyone offer any advice? All the chips seem to be in place fine and I've tried another memory Simm.

I have a revision 2b motherboard & 3.1 rom if this makes any difference.

Thanks,

Steve.

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
A bit of an obvious question,

But did you try removing the ram completely, and also removing (if any) pcmcia card etc.. ?

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
are there vissible signs of defect on the board?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
A bit of an obvious question,

But did you try removing the ram completely, and also removing (if any) pcmcia card etc.. ?

No PCMCIA cards in, but I didn't try removing the Ram, i'll try that later.

are there vissible signs of defect on the board?

Not that I can see, it looks ok, just the funny smell.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Could be worth posting hi-res photos of both sides of the board? One of our resident hardware experts might be able to identify a shonky capacitor that's to blame.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Could be worth posting hi-res photos of both sides of the board? One of our resident hardware experts might be able to identify a shonky capacitor that's to blame.

Good idea Andy, i'll get my scanner out of the loft and scan both sides as that will be clearer than a photo. In fact i'll do both!

I'll do that when I get back from work.

Thanks.

Steve.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@fitzsteve

whom did you buy it from? did they note any problems with the card?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
@fitzsteve

whom did you buy it from? did they note any problems with the card?

This thread from Amiga-Digital, described as working. He has a good rep though so i'm not sure what to think.

It was packed superbly, i.e box box with lots of bubble wrap, no chance of getting damaged unless it was exposed to extream hot or cold temperature?

Steve.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
...Or X-ray in some airport/local customs postal area.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi

Here are some photo's, not been able to get the scanner down yet.

Amiga-Digital has offered for me to send the card back and he'll try to fix the problem. I'm going to try it without the Ram after Arsenel have destroyed Porto...

IMG_7224.jpg

IMG_7223.jpg

IMG_7222.jpg

IMG_7221.jpg

IMG_7220.jpg

Thanks for any help :)

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Daft question time; have you tried pressing on the socketed chips, to ensure that they are seated correctly?

It's possible that the Lattice or Motorola chips may have worked out of their seats in transit.

xc8

A>_
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Birmingham
...Or X-ray in some airport/local customs postal area.

Really? I never heard that this can cause problems to systems, I am curious about this.

Chris

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Daft question time; have you tried pressing on the socketed chips, to ensure that they are seated correctly?

It's possible that the Lattice or Motorola chips may have worked out of their seats in transit.

Hi Merlin.

I did check the chips earlier and they seemed to be seated properly but I gave them a light press to be sure just now.

I inserted the card without ram and on boot I was presented with a red screen and a message that the expansion card was defective, then I hit continue and it booted into workbench showing 030 in the CWB menu...

I've put the ram back and now its booted into workbench fine with the ram showing up. Hmmm

Going to give it a little test run and see how I get on.

Steve.

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:44 ----------

quick update, just played a few speccy games on ZXAMSpectrum to give the 030 a good work out, no crashing and was running ok.

Still worried I got the red defective screen, will leave it for a bit and try again.

Only thing I done different this time is the trap door is off, maybe this card does not like the pressure the trap door puts on the card?

Still dosen't explain the report if it being defective though.

Steve.

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

Further update:

Well it still seems to be working ok now, given it a good workout on Doom :D

No more errors and I've got the trap door in place now so I guess i'll leave it in now and tuck my Typhoon MK2 away safe until I get my Tower :cool:

@Amiga-Digital, i'll drop you a PM.

Thanks guys for the help. Maybe it wasn't plugged in properly or maybe a chip wasn't seated properly, time will tell I guess.

Oh that reminds me, it dosent keep the time, but i'm guessing thats just a flat battery, are these easy to replace, i.e just swapping out with anouther 2032 or whatever it is?

Steve.

Last edited:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
For the non-working problem: the Amiga edge connector have some dirt or the accelerator connector may have a slightly bent pin. Bad contact in a sensitive pin can make the board report as defective (even if it is not).

Another possibility is the metal top shield contacting the accelerator connector, which will cause those problems, too.

Without testing out in live action, no way to tell.

For time problem: sure, just replace the CR2032 with a new one.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Fitzsteve

I'm glad that you've managed to get it back into the land of the living, even if it is only a sort-of for the moment, until you can bottom out what's causing the red screen.

(y)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks a lot guys, i've not had any other red screens since so fingers crossed :cool:

MZ3540

Country
Australia
Region
Echuca, VIC
I also have an Mtec 1230 and I experienced the same as you. I got a red/yellow screen but after a few removals/re-insertions it worked... its a 16 year old card, theres gonna be some corrosion on both the accelerator card AND the A1200.

The reason you got the defective report is because you removed the ram but left the jumpers set for 8mb. You have nothing to worry about.

Also, my Mtec 1230 smells funny too. I don't know why, but it does.

Hint, if you remove the "mem2" jumper (bottom jumper on the 6-jumper array) the card will only use 4mb (even with the same simm). It will still work and should allow you to use the pcmcia port. Just replace the jumper to return to 8mb.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I also have an Mtec 1230 and I experienced the same as you. I got a red/yellow screen but after a few removals/re-insertions it worked... its a 16 year old card, theres gonna be some corrosion on both the accelerator card AND the A1200.

The reason you got the defective report is because you removed the ram but left the jumpers set for 8mb. You have nothing to worry about.

Also, my Mtec smells funny too. I don't know why, but it does.

Hint, if you remove the "mem2" jumper (bottom jumper on the 6-jumper array) the card will only use 4mb (even with the same simm). It will still work and should allow you to use the pcmcia port. Just replace the jumper to return to 8mb.

Thanks for the tip (y)

Steve.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Just to add Fitz;

I had the same problem fitting a Blizzy MKIV for the first time. Now I can fit the card evreytime without issue. A1200 trapdoor expansions can be tricky little buggers to fit. :nod:

Glad you sorted it. (y)

Kin

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks again people, all seems to be fine now (y)

I'll grab a new battery next time i'm up the high street.

Will let you know how I get on.

Top Bottom