Managed to program some dealer options on my car :)

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
I had bought a cable on the other bay which connects to the OBD computer of my BMW.

Till recently I only knew how to read fault codes and try and reset them using INPA software but now I managed to actually code some dealer options using NCS expert.

I tapped into the GM5 module which controls lots of stuff like alarm, locks, windows etc...

I activated passenger window one touch comfort up ---- And the dealer always told me my switch was faulty.. What did they know !! LOL

I activated that the doors lock at 16KMPH

I activated the Panic alarm

Next I will enable (hopefully) that I can close and open the soft top using the key fob.

sir_beaker

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Alresford
lol nice one (y)

I remember the dealership saying to me to reprogram my key remote it would be €200 and take them half an hour. 2 minute search on the internet and you could do it in 30 seconds yourself. My friend worked at Skoda dealership and was telling me the scotch guard option at the time was a complete con (as an optional extra price wise) as well so he grabbed a can and did my car over a weekend. Really don't trust main dealerships at all.

Last edited:

z3spacial

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Oldham
Coincidence

Just done the same thing to my Focus RS with a modified ODB cable and a piece of software called ELMConfig

Managed to enable

Bluetooth Streaming (for some reason it was disabled on early release RS's)
Auto Door locking at 7km/h
Auto Dead lock with 1 fob press (default is annoyingly 2)
Radio / Volume & Phone Details on Dash
Enable ECOMode

Amazes me why Ford (and obviously other marques) don't enable as standard - not like it costs anything

Well chuffed tho'

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
When I first got my current car, a Peugeot 407 SW GT, the RT4 computer system was running old software so I downloaded a copy of the update software and upgraded it. At the same time, reading forums, I discovered that owners had utilised some of the files from the upgrade CDs to customise their own software to unlock and alter settings on the car without the need for a full diag computer. I read up on it and configured the software and ran it on the car. A nice feature not factory present is USB memory stick support. On the back of the RT4 unit is an extra 6 pin socket. Buying a special cable from a French eBay seller I took the unit out, connected the cable up and ran it out from behind the dash. Now I can plug a USB stick in full of albums and have a large music library to hand. The software also restricted the number of albums accessible to something silly like 30. Another software hack and now it can access 999 directories. The mad thing is that the RT4 unit obviously supports this feature as once activated you can control everything from the steering wheel controls, it reads the MP3 tag data correctly and displays the names.. so it's mad Peugeot didn't provide it as standard... and I later discovered that Citroen's with the same RT4 units do have the USB socket already installed and working, so some madness there.. and the newer 508 uses the same software (newer revision) and has the USB socket in the centre console too.

Another part of the software is the built in sat nav. I needed to upgrade the maps from their original 2008 version, so again managed to get hold of the 2012 version. At the same time however I also discovered some owners were again hacking the software to add in customised traffic camera alerts using the built in traffic alerts. And they update the traffic camera locations monthly, allowing you to download a small file, run it from memory stick and update the car locations. Very nice.

So much seems to be locked out or disabled as standard on modern cars. So many people less tech minded are driving around missing out on some of the nice features available and hidden away in their cars.

Plus as you discovered the main dealers are clueless about the software and what it can do. My car also has audio/video inputs in the glove box. When stationary I can plug a camcorder or over device into it and view images and video on the 7" screen. However, for safely reasons the car disables this feature when moving. You can however unlock this to allow it to work all the time, also allowing audio devices to be plugged in this way and accessed via AUX input. However Peugeot completely denied this being possible when I tried to get it unlocked at a local dealer.

I don't trust main dealers or their prices either.

I've owned Peugeot's for years (I know some don't like them for historical stigma but I do) and years ago used to get them serviced every year at the main dealer, thinking that the official service history stamps and official parts were worth the extra expense, but coming to sell a perfect condition car with full dealer history didn't make any difference to the resell value. As long as you can prove a car has been maintained and regularly serviced that is all that matters.

Plus main dealer labour is mad. They all seem to charge about £65-80 just for an ECU engine diagnostic. All this entails is plugging the car into their computer, running the software and reading the error codes. For that money I could buy the software myself and a cheap connection cable from ebay.

I've now found an independent local garage I take my cars to and they are great. As an example I needed to get my rear brake discs and pads replaced before the MOT this week. I rang a higher profile garage I've used a few times and they quoted me £275 for the parts and labour.. this compares to Peugeot themselves in the past on a previous car charging me something like £480 for the same work. So that's much cheaper. I then got a quote from Kwik Fit and they quoted £225.. but I don't really trust Kwik Fit to carry out the work to a good level.. so finally I went to the independent garage and they charged me £186. What a difference.. and they completed the work within an hour.

Even better when I dropped the car off to get the brakes done I mantioned the MPT was due and they said they could perform it at the same time, signed my up to a discount card, combined the MOT with the brake work, gave me a 15% discount using the card, and the total only cost my £2 more with the MOT than it did without. Brilliant! And it passed without any advisories, so I'm happy.

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
Always good to get something for free, but be careful when poking around with these settings. It's possible to brick your vehicle or mess up the locking if you mess with the wrong values.

Dougal: Which BMW do you have? The Sunroof closing should be activated as standard - Or have they started nobbling options in some markets.?

Bryce.

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
The BMW is an E46 323CI convertible.

By default you can open/close the top either by using the button in the car or else from outside by putting the key into the lock and unlock and hold to open or lock and hold to close.

The option to enable it with the remote is there but marked as non-active. All I need to do is re-enable it.

I don't know how it works on other makes but for mine the NCS software downloads from the car some binary or hex info which the software converts to a file in german with all the options settings in the particular ECU module you are working with. You then modify the file and re-upload it into the car.

Always good to get something for free, but be careful when poking around with these settings. It's possible to brick your vehicle or mess up the locking if you mess with the wrong values.

Dougal: Which BMW do you have? The Sunroof closing should be activated as standard - Or have they started nobbling options in some markets.?

Bryce.

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Yeah, it's nice what you can achieve with software. :) With a software update my Saab 9-5 2.0t Linear became flexfuel capable and some :twisted:. :LOL:

Also, when it comes to factory options, there's quite a lot of things you can change with the Tech 2.

demolition

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
A colleague of mine got a Kia Rio a couple of years back without any fancy accessories like cruise control. He found out that the wiring loom in the steering wheel did have the wires for the cruise control, but they were not connected to anything. He hooked up a switch and found that the cruise control could actually be enabled and work just fine if he just added the switch to the wires. He ended up connecting the cruise control to the radio channel up/down buttons on the steering wheel since he could change the channel on the dash instead. Now he got cruise control in his Rio, basically for free (except for some hours of work on his part).

He does not have the speed up/down buttons connected, but just being able to lock the speed is also very useful. Braking will still disable the cruise control as it should.

Last edited:

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
The BMW is an E46 323CI convertible.

By default you can open/close the top either by using the button in the car or else from outside by putting the key into the lock and unlock and hold to open or lock and hold to close.

The option to enable it with the remote is there but marked as non-active. All I need to do is re-enable it.

I don't know how it works on other makes but for mine the NCS software downloads from the car some binary or hex info which the software converts to a file in german with all the options settings in the particular ECU module you are working with. You then modify the file and re-upload it into the car.

Ah, that explains it. I thought you had a sunroof, not a softtop.

Bryce.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
..He found out that the wiring loom in the steering wheel did have the wires for the cruise control..

This is something you can do on Peugeot's without it too. However more easily. They just put a blanking plate over where the cruise control connections go on the last models (the ones with the controls behind the wheel rather than on it). All you need to do is buy the cruise control stalk, take off the blanking plate and connect it up. You do then have to go into the ECU software and activate it, but it does mean no diy wiring.

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
I want to enable the seat belt warning but that's not working. Must be some other options in not enabling.

demolition

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I would like to disable the seat belt warning in my Civic if possible. It's really annoying with the beeping every time I get in since I always start the car first, then put on the seat belt. I would like the engine to idle for a few seconds, giving the oil a chance to distribute properly before I start driving. Thus it seems reasonable that it can do that while I put on the seat belt. Otherwise I would just have sit and wait doing nothing for a little while - kinda ruins the 'flow' of it. :)

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
..He found out that the wiring loom in the steering wheel did have the wires for the cruise control..

This is something you can do on Peugeot's without it too. However more easily. They just put a blanking plate over where the cruise control connections go on the last models (the ones with the controls behind the wheel rather than on it). All you need to do is buy the cruise control stalk, take off the blanking plate and connect it up. You do then have to go into the ECU software and activate it, but it does mean no diy wiring.
In later model Saab 9-3s you simply change the indicator lever to one with cruise controls and enable it in the software.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to disable the seat belt warning in my Civic if possible. It's really annoying with the beeping every time I get in since I always start the car first, then put on the seat belt. I would like the engine to idle for a few seconds, giving the oil a chance to distribute properly before I start driving. Thus it seems reasonable that it can do that while I put on the seat belt. Otherwise I would just have sit and wait doing nothing for a little while - kinda ruins the 'flow' of it. :)

Saab doesn't start chiming the seat belt until you go over 30 km/h. Of course the fasten seat belt sign is lit already on standstill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom