Max. partition size in Amiga OS 3.1 - Amiga CD32 SX-1 project

pascal_sweden

Country
Sweden
Region
Stockholm
Hello,

I recently acquired an Amiga SX-1 extension for my Amiga CD32.
The plan is to put in a nice big 2,5 " IDE harddrive and install AmigaDos 3.1.

However, I read that the limitation is 4 GB in AmigaDos, and the harddrives available these days start with 160 GB: this would basically mean 40 partitions =)

Now here comes my question: what is the max. size that I should select for my partition? Can I use more than one partition, to use up all the remaining space on my drive?

There is a technical limit on the size of the partition, but is there also a technical limit on the amount of partitions?

How would this show up in AmigaDOS and in Workbench?
(DH0:, DH1:, can this go up to DH:39)?
Would this still leave space on my Workbench background?
Or would my entire screen be filled with Disk icons?
The disk icons are on the left column, and go down when more drives are added, but what happens if one reaches the bottom of the column? Has some tried it?

In short: How can I use 160GB to full extent, by dividing it over several partitions? I don't favorize patches that go beyound that limit, just plain AmigaDOS restrictions, but ofcourse dont want to use only 4GB of 160GB =)

pascal_sweden

Country
Sweden
Region
Stockholm
SFS seems way to go

SFS seems way to go

Apparently the SFS file system is the way to go for.

If one has 250GB harddrive, what would be best way to divide this?

I plan to go for this structure:

DH0: 512MB Bootable - Amiga Dos 3.1
DH1: 512MB Bootable - Future use (e.g. Amiga Dos 3.5 or 3.9)
DH2: 100 GB - Programs
DH3: 100 GB - Games
DH4: 49 GB- Miscellaneous.

Do other people have experience with using SFS 2 on a CD32 and SX-1 system? What harddrive sizes, and how have you organised your partitions?

There is a tutorial on SFS, where they use ram:junk in the steps, which is weird why they do it.

/Pascal

Elerion

8bitoholic
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Croatia
Region
Zagreb
Now here comes my question: what is the max. size that I should select for my partition? Can I use more than one partition, to use up all the remaining space on my drive?
HD Toolbox from 3.0 Install disk might let you create partitions over the limit, but when formated they will be about 4GB. And yes, you can create more then one.
There is a technical limit on the size of the partition, but is there also a technical limit on the amount of partitions?
There probably is. I'm not that deep into filesystem, but I'm quite sure you can create at least 255.

How would this show up in AmigaDOS and in Workbench?
Ugly. You'll probably fill the entire desktop with drives.

(DH0:, DH1:, can this go up to DH:39)?
You can call them anything you wish. It can be "DH49152:" or "A001:" or "Ipso_facto_41:" Only requirement is that it ends with ":".

Would this still leave space on my Workbench background?
Or would my entire screen be filled with Disk icons?
You may ask: Will i see them all on my desktop? Probably not unless you change their icon to something small.

The disk icons are on the left column, and go down when more drives are added, but what happens if one reaches the bottom of the column? Has some tried it?
By default drives will start appearing on top left, and work their way column by column to the right.

I'm sure few of us have tried it, but ROM 3.1 with OS 3.9 doesn't have partion size limit, so if you have the need for large drive, this is much more elegant solution.

BTW, why would you need so much space on CD32 anyway?

E.

pascal_sweden

Country
Sweden
Region
Stockholm
OS 3.9 -

OS 3.9 -

Okey, maybe I should go for OS 3.9 immediately.

How to install this on CD32 + SX1?

My understanding is that OS 3.9 comes on CD.

If I have a floppy connected to my SX-1, and empty 250GB drive installed, shall I use the OS 3.1 install disk to boot my CD32, and after install 3.9 ?

The problem is that I need to setup the partitions first, so then I would need SFS first, before installing 3.9, right?

What filesystem is used by 3.9 to overcome the 4GB limit?
Can one use HDToolbox from the 3.9 CD to setup partitions?

Elerion

8bitoholic
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Croatia
Region
Zagreb
Okey, maybe I should go for OS 3.9 immediately.

How to install this on CD32 + SX1?

My understanding is that OS 3.9 comes on CD.

If I have a floppy connected to my SX-1, and empty 250GB drive installed, shall I use the OS 3.1 install disk to boot my CD32, and after install 3.9 ?

The problem is that I need to setup the partitions first, so then I would need SFS first, before installing 3.9, right?

What filesystem is used by 3.9 to overcome the 4GB limit?
Can one use HDToolbox from the 3.9 CD to setup partitions?

SFS is not a bad Idea to start with. It works with 3.0 ROM and OS 3.9 requires ROM 3.1. (Both cost some cash.)

It's enough to create one parition to install OS 3.9 and then create large partitons.

Before Installing 3.9 you must install 3.1 or 3.5 on your hard drive first. (At least with version I have.)

E.

pascal_sweden

Country
Sweden
Region
Stockholm
OS 3.1 on DH0:, OS 3.9 on DH1:

OS 3.1 on DH0:, OS 3.9 on DH1:

So I could go ahead as follows:

Boot with install disk 3.1: create one partition of 512MB. (DH0:)
Install Workbench 3.1 on that partition.

After reboot the system from first partition: create second partition of 512MB.
Install Workbench 3.9 on the second partition. (DH1:)

After reboot the system from second partition.
Use the tools within 3.9 to create the other partitions (e.g. DH2 100 GB, DH3: 100GB)

Would this work?

All I need is OS 3.1 install disk, OS 3.9 CD? Correct?

I would need OS 3.1 anyway as it requires less memory, and OS 3.9 is nice to have too.

But if I want to use the DH2, DH3 partitions in both OS 3.1, and OS 3.9, then I would need to use SFS for file system correct?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
You can use a 250Gb with the Amiga using the latest SCSI.device patch, but you can only use up to 127GiB of it. The leftover is simply ignored.

SFS can cope with big partitions, but SFS2 is PPC only.

@Elerion: all CD32 units came with 3.1 ROM.

You can use OS3.9 with only memory expansion. But you need to turn off most of the eye-candy to make the Workbench fast enough to use.

Turning all eye-candy on will give a feeling the GUI is trying to push a huge block of concrete over cold molasses. You get the picture...

pascal_sweden

Country
Sweden
Region
Stockholm
If I take DH0: 512MB for OS 3.1, and DH1: 512MB for OS 3.9,
how to solve the problem that I want to access DH2: 100GB, DH3: 100GB from both OS 3.1, and OS3.9?

Can one Back-port the updates to support bigger partitions supported in OS3.9 to OS3.1?

Or should I use SFS for DH2, and DH3, and make SFS work in OS3.9?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Lower the boot partitions to the minimum necessary: if they get invalided, the ROM built-in validator will fix it/they faster.

For WB3.1 anything over 150Mb is an overkill, 250Mb for OS3.9.

Put SFS on the disk RDB and use it on all partitions, not just for additional ones. But the best file system for the Amiga still is PFS3 (professional file system, version 3).

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Lower the boot partitions to the minimum necessary: if they get invalided, the ROM built-in validator will fix it/they faster.

For WB3.1 anything over 150Mb is an overkill, 250Mb for OS3.9.

Put SFS on the disk RDB and use it on all partitions, not just for additional ones. But the best file system for the Amiga still is PFS3 (professional file system, version 3).

rkauer is spot on about this. Tbh, I'd make the 3.1 partition 50mb & the 3.9 patition 130Mb. Rule of thumb is never to install anything knowingly, to your boot partitions. ;) System files are cool but get your other programs & utilities off the boot partitions. This saves de-fragging & other drive maintenance to keep your miggy running sweetly. Large hard drive bitmaps also take longer to re-validate & you wouldn't need 100GB for programs alone. ;)

Kin

pascal_sweden

Country
Sweden
Region
Stockholm
Regarding PFS3: Is it supported both by WB3.1 and WB3.9?

And what about WB1.3: Are any of these filesystems supported by WB1.3?

I can imagine that some old applications only work for WB1.3, and it might be cool to have a blue-ish old school style workbench =)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
1.3 can only use OFS to boot, it don't recognize anything different.

You can use other file systems (but newest FFS) to other partitions. Also SFS can't be used on plain 68000/010 CPU. You need to store the file of the file system on the L drawer and mount the partitions on DEVS: using a mountlist.

PFS3 can be used on plain 68000 with the same support for up to 2000Gb HD!!!

Notice that this PFS3 supports a HD this size, but it will not make the SCSI controller recognize it, the controller must recognize the HD on its own prior to partition & format.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Also, don't forget that Hard Drive maintenance Tools will not work on partitions that exceed the 4GB boundry. Such progs are Disk Salv, Quarterback etc.

I think there are some tools included with PFS3. Also, if you want PFS3, I might part with my CDROM version of it, if the price is right. Drop me a PM if you want to discuss. ;)

Meantime though, best of luck chap. :)

Kin

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
@Charlie: PFS3 is becoming freeware. There is already a cover CD on July 2010 issue of Amiga Future.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
So I heard Rogerio. But it isnt freeware yet is it. :twisted: ....sniggers....

This version comes with the free game. ;)

Kin

Top Bottom