Mediator 1200 PCI + Radeon 9250

Megatron-UK

Country
UK
Region
Durham/Newcastle
Hi, finally getting around to setting this thing up.

I have the Mediator 1200 PCI (not SX or TX), with a RTL8139c in PCI slot 1, and a 5v (single notch) Radeon 9250SE in slot 2 - not sure of the vendor.

Install procedure:

MMCD 1.10
Mediator UP 3.12
MMCD_UP 1.31
+ pci.library 8.1
+ radeon.card 2.9

pciinfo lists the Realtek network card, but the Radeon doesn't show up.

I'm assuming that I cannot use MediatorNet or FastEthernet device until the graphics card is working as I get a frozen machine when I attempt to initialise either of them as SANA-II device in Genesis.

Anyone got a working Radeon on a non-SX/TX board?

---------- Post added 4th September 2010 at 00:19 ---------- Previous post was 3rd September 2010 at 23:12 ----------

For further info, running the Radeon in my Linux system, lspci shows the PCI ID's to be:

1002, 5960
1002, 5940

I presume they're the two ports, they both show as ATI Technologies RV280 9200 PRO.

I thought the card might be faulty, but now I'm confused as to why the card is not listed under pciinfo on the Amiga.

---------- Post added at 00:49 ---------- Previous post was at 00:19 ----------

Also, another data point. The system is really picky about booting with the Radeon card installed (gets part way through loading [not far enough to initialise workbench though] and then halts). If I remove it and only have the Realtek, it boots every single time.

Megatron-UK

Country
UK
Region
Durham/Newcastle
Hmmm... still doesn't boot very often even with the new software. Remove the card and it's fine.

I'm trying an old S3 Virge, but it's not the DX version, so it's unlikely to work.

[edit]
Nope, didn't think it would work (tried the CVision3D card driver; it's an original S3c325, a whole 2mb of DRAM-wow!), and it doesn't (P96Mode says "no modes available" and no boards are listed to choose from).

John

hikey

Country
Bristol, UK
Region
avon
Hmmm... still doesn't boot very often even with the new software. Remove the card and it's fine.

I'm trying an old S3 Virge, but it's not the DX version, so it's unlikely to work.

I've got the 4000Di mediator and i've never managed to get it working properly and stable with the Radeon or any other card. I actually gave up with mine a few months back and put my zorro cards back in, but I may have another shot with this new software update.

Megatron-UK

Country
UK
Region
Durham/Newcastle
Downloaded the 3rd party Virge drivers and I can now assign modes in P96 and I get a set of 'Virge' resolutions in Screenmode prefs - they're all out of signal range on my LCD screen, but at least the S3 Virge card is detected and working.

johnim

VIP
Country
England
Region
birmingham
you can make your own modes and tweek them i had to when i used a virge

Megatron-UK

Country
UK
Region
Durham/Newcastle
Yep... it's not the card I want to use though :(

By all rights a 5v Radeon should work.

---------- Post added at 09:21 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

Full output from lspci on Linux with the Radeon card installed:

01:07.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO] (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO]
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 32 (2000ns min), Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 5
Region 0: Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Region 1: I/O ports at 9000
Region 2: Memory at e3000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at e2000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
Kernel modules: radeonfb

01:07.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO] (Secondary) (rev 01)
Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Device 5961
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 32 (2000ns min), Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
Region 0: Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Region 1: Memory at e3010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

Think it's worth sending the output to Elbox?

wurzel

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Jersey, Channel Islands

[edit]
Nope, didn't think it would work (tried the CVision3D card driver; it's an original S3c325, a whole 2mb of DRAM-wow!), and it doesn't (P96Mode says "no modes available" and no boards are listed to choose from).

John
Sounds to me as if the board (Mediator) is not fully home. It`s a very tricky thing, even a slight bit out stops it working. It`s to do with (from memory) the legs being to short - the board lies at a bit of an agle. I fixed my problem by putting a washer on the legs, so they are just that bit longer. Worked for me (and others at the time I was putting mine in)

(Read in a later post that PCIInfo doesn`t pick up the Radeon - that`s also a sign it`s not home properly).

Having said that, I`ve only got a Voodoo, not a Radeon. But, doesn`t the Radeon need a 3.5v, not 5v (just half remembering something there)

I just picked up a Mediator LT4 from fleabay, I`ll be doing the same as you shortly, building another Tower with a Voodoo3, Apollo1260 etc ;)

Ah, fun times :D

Megatron-UK

Country
UK
Region
Durham/Newcastle
It's definitely a 5v card that I've got as it has the correct keyway for 5v PCI slots:

radeon1.jpg

radeon2.jpg

Top Bottom