Mediator Power Supply???

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Okiez.... I now have the following for my A4000 Mediator project:

* Very Clean A4k MB with replaced caps/battery and 3.1 rom, 16mb fast onboard.
* Mediator zorro/pci board (the large one with 7 zorro slots)
* Mediator bridgeboard
* Voodoo 3 card (compatible with Mediator)
* 64mb Radeon card (from Elbox - compatible with Mediator)
* Soundblaster Card (compatible with Mediator)
* Wifi network card (from Elbox - compatible with Mediator)
* Spider USB Card (USB 2.0 - compatible with Mediator)
*1200 watt gaming PSU (yes, I know its overboard, but its black and funky :))
* Perfect, white A4k keyboard and mouse
* Cyberstorm Mk III clocked at 66 mhz with 128 Mb fast (may put this in one of my desktop a4ks and replace with a Cyberstorm PPC)
* SATA DVD Burner (with Sata to IDE convertor)
* 76 GB 10,000 Rpm Ultra Scsi HD with cable and adapter
* Large Gaming Tower Case with room for a 380mm wide MB etc (checked, will fit in the a4k Mb and Mediator etc)
* assorted other goodies

Now.... I find there is power connectors on the Mediator zorro/pci board! The wire colours correspond with standard ATX PSU wiring, but the plug is non standard. I am converting the 1200 watt psu to have A4k mb power connectors, do I also need to "graft" on a cable/connector to go to the Mediator card?

Silly question, but why not Elbox include a cable for the Mediator card? I mean, after spending so much.... I find there is parts required that are not included.

If anyone can tell me if it is a simple case of buying the correct connector and simply grafting it to the corresponding coloured (voltaged) wires on the ATX Psu.

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
Hi

Very nice system my friend. A high-end A4k, I think... (y)

Just to help.....

About PSU's for a4k with Mediator I recommended you:

- PSU 400/500w with a minimun of 20A on 5v
- ATX to Ak4 cable with switch I fin ot Amigakit site. This cable includes connector for mobo & A4000D. also the PWR switch is mounted in one long cable (good for moded PSU's/cases).

Cheers

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Thanks Merlinkv,

the PSU I currently have is 1200 watts. :)

I will check out that a4k to ATX adapter cable - thanks.

Mike55

Country
USA
Region
Alabama
I have a Mediator kit and it did come with the ATX plug. I bought it a few years ago though.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
ROFL @ your 1200W PSU. :D

I have a 900W Tagan my Water Cooled Monster making your's seriously over-kill for 68K.

Anyways, joking aside, ....the attachment is the bad boy for your requirements, but be sure of correct orientation when you shove the PSU 24 Pin plug into the 20 pin converter. Your Mediator board is also covered with the P9 connector. (y)

In reality with regard to the PSU, 400 to 500W is more than ample. Single railed PSU's don't require you to scatter the loading on various Molex plgs accross different channels. Just a thought if you're planing on hanging more than 4 hard drives off a single PSU. Especially, fast SCSI ones.

All the best.

Kin

Attachments

• ATX to A4KD Adapter.jpg
    ATX to A4KD Adapter.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 3

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
The problem is the Spider: it cannot be registered to use with Poseidon any more, so it is nearly a doorstop.

drbrain

Banned
Country
Sweden
Region
Helsingborg
The problem is the Spider: it cannot be registered to use with Poseidon any more, so it is nearly a doorstop.

But this setup CAME with Poseidon. You mean it cannot be used with the latest versions?

That's correct. You can use the Poseidon that's supplyed with the card.
But since v4.x, Poseidon only supports E3B's hardware (Deneb, Highway, Subway, Algor)

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Ahhh, so the card is NOT a paperweight? Cooliez.

Apparently the spider is supported right up until (but not including) version 4.

Which is great, since the Spider 2 card was basically a freebie thrown into the deal.

Top Bottom