Mediator with Radeon as slow ram. PROBLEM!!

anotherlife

Country
sweden
Region
Malmö
Hi!

I'm trying to set up my system with radeon 9250 256mb. Im using voodoo as graphic card and want to use radeon for some extra ram. The problem is that when I try to access the radeon ram the whole computer freeze. I can see the ram in the wb list but can't use it. I have all the latest drivers from elbox.

My setup is: Amiga 1200, apollo 060/80mhz, mediator sx, voodoo 3, soundblaster, network card and radeon. Im running os 3.9.

Thanks/Andreas

8bitplus

Country
UK
Region
West Yorkshire
I'm not sure you can access and use the radeon ram unless your using the card for displaying at that time.

anotherlife

Country
sweden
Region
Malmö
I'm not sure you can access and use the radeon ram unless your using the card for displaying at that time.

i have a friend that have the same problem and he is using radeon as graphic card so i guess thats not the problem :-(

Last edited:

slaapliedje

Country
USA
Region
Utah
You have to set the graphics memory in (I may get this wrong, since I'm not sitting at my Amiga) SYS:prefs/ENV-Archive/Mediator/Radeon, which is a file, you can edit and put in how much you want dedicated to the video ram (I think it has to be at least 15, if I recall). Then the rest will be used. But keep in mind that most of the 256mb Radeons are actually two banks of 128mb, so there are some tricks you have to do to use the full 249mb of ram left. I'll see if I can track them down, as I've gotten it to work once.

slaapliedje

Last edited:

johnim

VIP
Country
England
Region
birmingham
You need to use medconfig to set all options it comes with the updates but use the latest version

gump

Country
Sweden
Region
Malung
You have to set the graphics memory in (I may get this wrong, since I'm not sitting at my Amiga) SYS:prefs/ENV-Archive/Mediator/Radeon, which is a file, you can edit and put in how much you want dedicated to the video ram (I think it has to be at least 15, if I recall). Then the rest will be used. But keep in mind that most of the 256mb Radeons are actually two banks of 128mb, so there are some tricks you have to do to use the full 249mb of ram left. I'll see if I can track them down, as I've gotten it to work once.

slaapliedje

What 68k cpu you got?

Yesterday i install aos3.9 from scratch with picasso96 unofficial latest driver. Mediator LT4 radeon 9250 128mb.
And blizzard 1230 32mb edo. And it worked!
I had a setting when i got around 90mb fastmem. Filled all memory up with no freeze or crasch at all.

Then i switched to blizzard ppc with 060@66mhz,ppc 330mhz.
I managed to boot 030 aos3.9 with my 060. Filled the memory up. And it crashed. Just as it did before. I added 060 librarys and bppcfix. But still no go. Same thing with my real install i did from scratch with 060 and bb4 etc. It freeze. Instant when i try to use radeon ram.

I think this behaveiour starts when using 060 cpus.
like the mmu doesent work properly.

Im Andreas friend, that has exactly the same problem as he has.

//Christer

- - - Updated - - -

We are using all latest drivers from mm_up2.5 and med config etc.

Could anyone with 060 cpu confirm having a working radeon mem. And if that case wich envarc:mediator settings work?. I have done this a thousand times so i can change settings without medconfig by now.

Just becouse it worked on my 1230 it does not mean these are the right settings for 060. Im aware of that. But i know now that radeon mem works. Its nothing wrong with my hardware. A1200 and radeon is even recaped

- - - Updated - - -

Try to upload an image. Our radeon is divided in 2 pci devices. And i cant confirm but our cards seems very identical in pciinfo.
Starts at adress
$80000000

slaapliedje

Country
USA
Region
Utah
I had an 060/50, I will twst this again once I get my 060 back. Guess it may depend on which 060 libraries you have, I was using the ones from the cyberstorm mk1 off the phase 5 site.

slaapliedje

Country
USA
Region
Utah
I can't use the phase5 library with my Apollo.

http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/MMULib

Have you tried those? I know when I installed those on my system, it would tank. You'd think there would be a standard 68060.library out there, since it should in theory just be processor support, rather than per accelerator board. But then I guess if we had that, it wouldn't be 'Amiga' enough? ;)

I remember back in the day thinking the huge advantage that the Atari ST and Amiga had over the IBM Compatibles was a standard set of OS mixed with standard hardware (at various levels, so at least you could write software for ECS or AGA and be sure it'd work.) but now with the hacked together setups people have, it's amazing much of anything works! I know I ran into issues trying to find just the right 68060 library, Only the older phase5 library worked without breaking other things.

anotherlife

Country
sweden
Region
Malmö
Yes l'm using thors mmulibs.. In this case i don't think it depends on the 68060 library. And i have tried to set up my mmu-configuration without any luck. The memory from my radeon just wont work as os memory.

superbonio

Country
Poland
Region
WLKP - Poznań
I tested four mediator 1200 / L-T4 (Apollo 1260 @ 100MHz with 64MB) for each of them the same problem, which is the site when the memory usage of the Radeon is followed freeze the system. Trying to run WHDLoad also end up freezing equipment.
Oddly enough the Mediator TX (Apollo 1260 @ 100MHz with 64MB), Mediator 4000Di MKII and Mediator 4000D MKII (CSPPC 060@66MHz PPC@400MHz) everything is working normally, you can successfully use the memory of the Radeon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom