Deactivated
Deactivated
Rating - 100%
10   0   1
Country
Hellas
Region
Athens
I am searching for a Zorro-II Expansion Memory Card with 4 MB or 8 MB for my old A2000.
This amiga consists of an A2030/25MHz and an Oktagon 2008 SCSI controller.

Please let me know if you intend to sell one.

Thanks a lot

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Rating - 100%
232   0   0
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Re: Memory Expansion for A2000

@Sylvester

Kalispera,

Just a few queries to hopefully make sure you end up with the right expansion.
As you are aware Zorro II memory configuration has a max limit of 8MB.
If your Oktagon SCSI card and A2630 already have memory on board you will need to subtract this total from 8MB which will give you the available expansion memory space which a ZII memory card can then fill.
Also the A2630 can be expanded to a max of 4MB, if you only have 2MB fitted then this can be accomplished by fitting the appropriate ZIP RAM chips.

In the event that both your current cards have already filled (or Maxed) the available 8MB ZII space then you will have to look for a different accelerator card such as a GVP 030 combo which has on board RAM mapped outside of Zooro II space, and incidentally the memory access is also much faster due to the local bus.

Hope this helps & good luck with your quest

TC :mrgreen:

sylvester

Deactivated
Deactivated
Rating - 100%
10   0   1
Country
Hellas
Region
Athens

Thank you very much TheCorfiot. My A2030 has 4MB in it and my Oktagon SCSI 2008 controller has not memory upon it (actually must be defect the memory circuit of the controller, It had 2MB SIMMS in the past but they do not work anymore. I tried 2MB from a friend, but had happened the same). So, I need a Zorro II memory controller that has at 4MB in it. Right ?

Syaoran_2001

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
Minneapolis, MN, USA

As TheCorfiot mentioned, you could use a GVP 030 accelerator card to up your memory. The card uses 4mb SIMM's and can hold a maximum of 13mb of memory on the 25mhz version, and 16mb on the faster versions. It just so happens that I have a 25mhz available for purchase if you're interested. It has 1mb of on-board memory plus one 4mb SIMM, which gives you 5mb of memory. I'll let it go for $75. PM me if you're interested.

sylvester

Deactivated
Deactivated
Rating - 100%
10   0   1
Country
Hellas
Region
Athens

Thank you very much Syaoran_2001. Let me think about it. The price you give the card is unbeatable !!

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Rating - 100%
232   0   0
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

@sylvester

Glad that helped, The GVP 030 card would certainly future proof you & allow spare ZII space for maybe an RTG card, you could also then sell your A2630 with 4MB. The special GVP SIMMS can be a pain & expensive to get hold of though....

However if you are content to use just the Zorro II space & Max it with 8MB FastRAM, then I would recomend replacing the Oktagen card with a GVP HC+8 SCSI / memory expansion & set it to 4MB. These cards are great performers & work very well with KS3.1 too. Esp if you are happy with the performance of your A2630

TC 8)

zimgr5

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
now Germany

TheCorfiot said:
@Sylvester

Kalispera,

Just a few queries to hopefully make sure you end up with the right expansion.
As you are aware Zorro II memory configuration has a max limit of 8MB.
If your Oktagon SCSI card and A2630 already have memory on board you will need to subtract this total from 8MB which will give you the available expansion memory space which a ZII memory card can then fill.
Also the A2630 can be expanded to a max of 4MB, if you only have 2MB fitted then this can be accomplished by fitting the appropriate ZIP RAM chips.

In the event that both your current cards have already filled (or Maxed) the available 8MB ZII space then you will have to look for a different accelerator card such as a GVP 030 combo which has on board RAM mapped outside of Zooro II space, and incidentally the memory access is also much faster due to the local bus.

Hope this helps & good luck with your quest

TC :mrgreen:

So what card should be bought if one wants to install AmigaOS 3.x ?
This system requires at least 6MB RAM according to specification...

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

zimgr5 said:
So what card should be bought if one wants to install AmigaOS 3.x ?
This system requires at least 6MB RAM according to specification...

Depends on what "3.x" : Workbench 3.0/3.1 will run happily on any processor, and it uses less memory than even the 2.x OS series.

OS 3.5 & 3.9 demands at least 6Mb of memory and at least 020 processor plus an external MMU (68851), or a better CPU with built-in MMU.

But as far as I remember, only the A2620 have it for the A2000 series. A better accelerator/CPU card is preferred, obviously.

sylvester

Deactivated
Deactivated
Rating - 100%
10   0   1
Country
Hellas
Region
Athens

I bought a cheap Zorro-2 card with 4MB installed, from a friend, so this thread can be closed.

Actually I am using latest ClassicWB (OS 3.1) to this Amiga 2000 and with 4MB and it leaves about 1MB fast RAM free after boot (with a graphics card it has also 1MB chip RAM free).

Now, I have 5MB Fast and 1MB Chip free after boot.
This is not the fastest, but it is a nice working, stable and compatible Amiga OS 3.1!!

WHDLoad games and Demos running cool.

Note: I have installed a ROM to RAM tool to WBStartup and IconBeFast enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom