Memory question for an A2000

Roman78

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
NRW
I've a question about the memory for an Amiga 2000. My A2000 has 1 MB memory on board. That's way to less to run 3.5 or 3.9. So im busy whit a GVP 040 upgrade card for it. This card has 4 mb on one 64 pin module.

But i want more. So im looking on some sites and found some ZIP memory and also a ZIP controller card whit 4 MB. I have a Octron 2008 card that also has place for 8 MB ZIP mem (but has zero atm). And i maybe get another SCSI card also whit 8mb mem.

Nou the question. When i combine these cards in one machine would the memory of all cards be put together? So 4 + 4 + 8 = already 16 meg.

One other thing. The GVP uses 64 pins modules, those are very expensive. Now i found a DIY to convert 72 pins modules into 64 pins. But in the DIY they only talking about 4 mb modules. Did someone tried this? Does it work? And did someone tried this whit 16 mb modules. 16 mb 72pins 60 ns is very easy to find.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Roman78

okay, lets start slowly =)

The A2000 is a Zorro 2 machine, this means that it has a 24bit addressable area for all its components and RAM.

The maximum ammount of RAM that can exist in Zorro 2 space with available adapters is 8MB of 24bit address PUBLIC Fast RAM

The GVP 040 (I am assuming a Combi 040@33Mhz) is a 32 bit Card and its memory is OUTSIDE the Zorro2 limmitation SO, you can have upto 64MB of RAM on the card via 4x 16MB GVP SIMMS - as we know these 16MB GVP's are very rare and of very limmited quantity.

So what can you do...

1. With the current setup you have total of 8MB FAST which is made up of 4MB in 32bit space and 4MB in 24bit space - however you are limmting the processor.

With only 1x GVP 64pin SIMM installed you cannot use the CPU to it fullest potential - you CPU speed will be drastically reduced.

To Improve performance I would suggest that you obtain 3 more 4MB SIMMs as this will give your CPU the full ability of Burst Mode as well as other features.

The DIY Hack is just that - its a Hack, although it works the problem you will find in the A2000 is the lack of physical space - infact its unlikely you will get it to fit, but dont let this stop you have look and a measure.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
But i want more. So im looking on some sites and found some ZIP memory and also a ZIP controller card whit 4 MB. I have a Octron 2008 card that also has place for 8 MB ZIP mem (but has zero atm). And i maybe get another SCSI card also whit 8mb mem.

Sorry, thread hijacking here, but where did you manage to track down some ZIP RAM for sale? I think a lot of folks on here might be interested to know. :)

Roman78

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
NRW
The card i mean is the GVP G-Force 040 Super at 33 mhz (will try to overklok it). I can buy it whit 4x16 mb but thats to much for me... Not the memory but the money :roll:

I think there will be enough place at the backside of the card to place the modules. The hack looks easy to do. But will it also work whit 16 MB modules?

So i can only use 8 meg on the Zorro Bus. Wili those 8 combine whit the other mem on the GVP card or is this slowing down the computer.

And about the question were i found the ZIP memory.... thats on ebay :unsure: Totally of 6 mb

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
At the moment you Amiga is running the slowest it can due to having only 1x 64PIN GVP SIMM installed.

So at this point you Amiga wont get any Slower, and the use of the extra Memory is more beneficial for WHDLoad use =)

Brian

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Kentucky

Sorry, thread hijacking here, but where did you manage to track down some ZIP RAM for sale? I think a lot of folks on here might be interested to know. :)

Hope it isn't out of line to post this link, but I found that SoftwareHut has them in stock as of May 2010 http://www.softhut.com/cgi-bin/test...ors/gvp_4MBand16MB.html&cart_id=2339894_21953. I haven't done business with them, though, had just browsed their site a few times.

(Moderators, if this link shouldn't be there, feel free to delete :))

Roman78

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
NRW
Ok. Zo the 8 meg on the scsi card wil combine whit the 4 on the GVP.

But what will happen when i upgrade the GVP to 4x4mb?

@ Brian: That no ZIP ram that GVP Ram.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

You can put up to 8MB max on the Zorro II bus and it's independent of how much RAM you can put on the GVP.

Brian

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Kentucky

Sorry, I must have read the description incorrectly.

Top Bottom