Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I am considering acquiring one of these:
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/micronik4000
for an A4000 tower project, but Amiga Resource says:
# 3× PCI slots (cannot be accessed by the Amiga in any way)
So, what use are the PCI slots if the Amiga cannot access them in any way? Seems a bizarre thing to have on a busboard if they don't do anything!
Also, anyone have any advice on attaching a busboard to an A4000 motherboard? I doubt it'll line up nicely in a bog-standard PC tower case, so I'll need to find/create a cable to join the two.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Re: Micronik busboard for A4000

Andy,

There are no PCI slots on the busboard you have linked to. The Micronik 6960 is purely a ZORRO busboard to put an A4KD into a Tower giving you 2 x Video Slots & a pile more ZORRO slots. The ISA slots on that board are only accessable by the Amiga if you have an SX-Bridgboard in place. Thats like a Pee Cee affair on it's own card.

If you want one of these, make sure it's a REV 4 or better.

KIn

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

Kin Hell said:
There are no PCI slots on the busboard you have linked to.
They have helpfully lumped the 6960 and 6980 into the same page. The photos are of the (ISA only) 6960 busboard. The 6980 has seven Zorro slots, with inline 1x Video, 3x PCI and 3x ISA.

I like the idea of having the flexibility of that board, since I have an A2088T bridgeboard that would use the ISA slots, and should be able to find PCI cards that I can use with it. (Assuming the PCI slots really aren't just for decoration!)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Ah, I see. This is the board you really meant.... Linky

Afaik, it's the same with that board. Anyone knowing different can certainly correct me, but the PCI slots become active with a Pee Cee card controlling them.

Kin

PS. Just a personal thing I guess, but I much prefer the BBoAH to Amiga Resource. ;)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

In those PCI slots you can use a SBC which will activate the remaining PCI slots where you can install a network card and a Siamese (serial/parallel version) which in turn will let you have the Amiga Workbench in a 31kHz monitor in high resolution and network capabilities.

For much less money you can grab a Zorro network card and a decent video card with scandoubler.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ rkauer

Thanks bud. (y)

Kin

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

rkauer said:
In those PCI slots you can use a SBC which will activate the remaining PCI slots...For much less money you can grab a Zorro network card and a decent video card with scandoubler.
Oh, so they really are next-to-useless. :( Thanks for the information, friend.
I guess it would still make a perfectly reasonable Zorro board with seven slots, if I can get it cheap enough. Just ignore the PCI ones :)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

AndyLandy said:
<SNIP> I guess it would still make a perfectly reasonable Zorro board with seven slots, if I can get it cheap enough. Just ignore the PCI ones :)

(y)

Top Bottom