Mikronik 6960 5.0 Z3-ISA version

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
Hi

Anyone nows about the power consumption of A4KD using the Mikronik 6960 Z3/ISA?

My first idea is to install (maybe not, I have two projects in mind):

- CS MK-II 060/50 128 MB
- CS MK-II SCSI Kit
- ZoRAM
- IO Extender
- Tocatta
- V-Lab
- RTG Z3 board
- Invisivion AGA 4000

And maybe more.....

I want to use one ATX PSU 600w with 26A on 5v with one adapter cable. Maybe I find power issues?

Thanks

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I don't think you'll have issues with that on 600w PSU, I'm running in my A4000D, Apollo 4040, PicassoIV, Tocatta, Buddha IDE all on the stock PSU without problems.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@MerlinKV

my friend, unlike the PCI Mediators / GRex's the Z3 backpanes are passive - they are driven by the A4000 motherboard in this case.

The power is only used when a card is inserted - so if there are no card installed on the busboard - no power is being used.

Ironically its not the Adapter Cards / Accellerators that use the most power - but Hard Disks do - the older they are the more power they suck - in some cases over 28 watts each ripped from the +5v!

most modern 3.5" IDE hard-disks only use about 15 watts max

the A4000 motherboard is very low-powered and like the A1200 hardly sees 20 watts of juice - however the moment you put on adapters and accelerators this will increase.

The Original A4000 PSU came in two flavours 150watt and 175watt - back in the day when these PSU's were new - that was plenty of juice for an accellerated and Dual HDisk Amiga with a snd / network / gfx - but today..... no...

The original PSU's were not designed to run for 10 years - since most are about 15 years old now - as such its going to struggle with a loaded system - this will be presented with random crashes and guru's

Unfortunately replacing the unit with a modern 175watt PSU wont cut the mustard either - as its output in current will likely be too deficent for the A4000's needs.

Since you are using a nice 600watt monster then this will provide good quality power to all your internal components - infact I would be surpirsed that at maximum a quarter of its power is used - which although might be a little overkill - the PSU isn't going to be taxed that hard - thus prolonging its life expectancy as well provide very good - clean power rails =)

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
Hi

Thanks to both for the information...

@Zetr0

I have two PSU's one 600w (26A-5v) & other 400w (20A 5v). Reading your post I think the best is to use:

- 600w on A4K with Mediator & CSPPC +....
- 400w on A4K with Mikronik & CS MK-II + ....

This configs, shoud be work OK, right?

Thanks again my friends (y)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@merlinkv

indeed my friend, the CSPPC will draw a little more juice than the CSm2, however both power supplies are more than capable for either operation =)

Top Bottom