Minimig 3d printed case

Tommes

Country
Germany
Region
NRW
Hello fellow Amigans, I just wanted to share my case for the Minimig which I created for 3D printing.

IMG_3441.jpg IMG_3443.jpg IMG_3444.jpg IMG_3446.jpg IMG_3448.jpg IMG_3449.jpg IMG_3450.jpg Minimig_Ready_for_3D-Printing.jpg

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Looks very nice! Where did you get it printed and how much it cost? Is it ABS or PLA?

Tommes

Country
Germany
Region
NRW
Looks very nice! Where did you get it printed and how much it cost? Is it ABS or PLA?
Thanks mate. I print it at Shapeways. The material is "strong & flexible" what I think is a sort of Nylon. It's really quite strong and if the material is thin enough also flexible. You see the price in the shop. As it uses quite a bit of material and takes some cubic centimeters space the price isn't low at all. But there is always something, right? ;)

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Pixelwizard

Last edited:

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
It looks great and sometimes beauty has no price
great job there...(y)

NovaCoder

Nova
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria
Very cool.

I'm surprised that AmigaKit haven't jumped all over 3D printing yet..maybe one day!

A back-plate would make this even better :)

Would love to see an A500/A1200 version

Last edited:

Tommes

Country
Germany
Region
NRW
Very cool.

I'm surprised that AmigaKit haven't jumped all over 3D printing yet..maybe one day!

A back-plate would make this even better :)

Would love to see an A500/A1200 version
Actually I am thinking for quite some time now of making an Amiga 500 version. This one will be more flat and has some elements of the Amiga 500 on it.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
It looks amazing. I have yet to print anything on my own that has this kind of quality. I think I need to use my 3D printer for prototyping my designs then use Shapeways for the final product. :)

Great job!

Heather

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Apparently Shapeways also has come up with printing techniques that doesn't cause the piece to warp, when printing a bigger piece. I also considered Shapeways for my floppy drive casing but the price was just too big considering the value of the drives themselves.

Tommes

Country
Germany
Region
NRW
It looks amazing. I have yet to print anything on my own that has this kind of quality. I think I need to use my 3D printer for prototyping my designs then use Shapeways for the final product. :)

Great job!

Heather
Thanks. Yes, this is a good idea. For many objects I don't like the quality of the FDM printers, but for testing purposes they are great. After that you could go with Laser Sintering as this technology is closer to final a product.

Apparently Shapeways also has come up with printing techniques that doesn't cause the piece to warp, when printing a bigger piece. I also considered Shapeways for my floppy drive casing but the price was just too big considering the value of the drives themselves.
Actually I come across something when printing the Minimig Case. You can see it in the screenshot of Inventor, how I arrranged the object. If you put the flat sides upwards the will be nice flat and planar. At my first print the bottom of the case was placed to the bottom and it warped, because it was to long in the hot printing area and the above material has influence on the bottom plane.

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
@Tommes: Oh yeah, I see what you mean. How's that technically possible by the way? I mean, if you have a flat surface on top, aren't you trying to print in thin air?

Tommes

Country
Germany
Region
NRW
@Tommes: Oh yeah, I see what you mean. How's that technically possible by the way? I mean, if you have a flat surface on top, aren't you trying to print in thin air?
No, not with Laser Sintering. You don't need support structures at all. There is a bed with powder and the laser melts layer for layer the object. After finishing the object the printing area is full with powder and the object inside. So things can float on powder :) That's also a reason why I prefer Laser Sintering method instead of FDM.

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
No, not with Laser Sintering. You don't need support structures at all. There is a bed with powder and the laser melts layer for layer the object. After finishing the object the printing area is full with powder and the object inside. So things can float on powder :) That's also a reason why I prefer Laser Sintering method instead of FDM.
Is that what Shapeways is using then?

Tommes

Country
Germany
Region
NRW
Is that what Shapeways is using then?
Yes.

Top Bottom