Mobile phone screens smashing! Especially the Nexus 4!

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Why are all smartphone screens so fragile??? Manufacturers need to develop a better material that resists cracking and shattering. The so called tough glass is rubbish.

Nearly everyone I know has cracked or smashed their smartphone screens in recent years, and even more so now that screens are getting bigger.

The other day a friend at work came up to me and asked how easy it was to replace a screen as his Samsung Note 2 had some nice cracks in it.

I currently use a Google Nexus 4. Great phone but bad design and the screen has just cracked again and needs to be replaced. Even worse is that the back is also glass and has had a crack in it for a long time.

This will be the 3rd new screen for this phone. My wife originally owned the phone on contract, dropped it on a hard floor about 6 months into the contract and shattered the screen. She got the screen replaced under the contract with THREE. She then managed to crack the screen again a couple of months later, but THREE refused to replace it again, so we used the home insurance to get it repaired. A few weeks after this the digitiser started to fail and it was impossible to interact with the bottom third of the screen. She then managed to get a new phone on her contract, a Samsung Galaxy S5, and gave me the Nexus 4 in case I could fix it.

I purchased a replacement screen via eBay and replaced the screen myself. Took about an hour and has worked fine since. However last week I noticed there seemed to be a small scratch on the right edge of the screen that has scratched into the glass slightly. A bit annoying but I could live with it. But the next day this has developed into a series of shatter cracks around this point, so it looked more like something had banged into that point on the edge of the screen. Over the next couple of days the cracks extended further into the screen and down to the bottom, so now the screen to cracked down the right third with some shattering at the bottom corner. Phone still works perfectly well, but the screen will need replacing again.

I also managed to smash the screen on my last phone, a Sony Xperia Play. I owned that phone since new and never had any issues with the screen, which seemed more robust that some. But one day the phone was sitting on my desk and I accidentally dropped a heavy reference book, which landed corner down on the screen and shattered it completely. I replaced that screen myself too and it continued working perfectly until I replaced it with that Nexus 4 last year.

My wife however seems to have smashed the screen on every smartphone she has owned for years. Nokia 5800 (actually washed this one), Samsung Jet, Samsung Galaxy S1, Nexus 4. There were more but I forget. Currently her S5 is holding up! Before that all her Nokia and Sony phones managed to withstand the violent way she treats phones. They were all bashed but still worked.

Anyone else have similar issues and stories about smartphone screens?

demolition

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I've never suffered a broken screen, but I also take care and handle smartphones more carefully that I would with the older feature phones. My current phone is an HTC One M7, but I don't know if it is good or bad in this regard. It has been dropped on a wooden floor a couple of times without problems, but I'm not sure it would hold up to a concrete floor/asphalt. I once dropped my old W810 onto the pavement and it fell into several pieces. However it could be reassembled and seemed to have suffered no damage. In a modern phone there is no plastic shell which can deform to absorb the energy, so something else has to give in, for example the screen. There are tougher smartphones on the market, but you'd have to accept a bulkier design.

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Why not simply invest in a case for your phones? I've not broke a phone since my first one 10 years ago (in fact i still have my first one), but I have sold on all the other ones i've had when i got a new one. Currently on an iphone 5s which is now 3-4 month old and it still looks like it just came out of the box. A good case and some care is all you need if you ask me.

sir_beaker

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Alresford
I use the original Moto G and dropped it several times on tiles and the screen's been fine.

Half-Saint

AmiBayer
Country
Slovenia
Region
Ljubljana
My Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos has been dropped so many times I lost count yet the screen remains intact.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I dropped my old HTC many times, it has to land flat on the screen then it takes very little to shatter it. I have a new screen but not got round to fitting it yet as I upgraded to an S5

Either you're lucky or not! No matter how careful you are it's very easy to drop something.

As for cases, they are great for protecting your phone but they can make them very bulky. Plus the flip cases can be worse as they flip open in free fall and then there is more chance the phone lands face down and smash...

Last edited:

CraigsBar

Country
Ireland
Region
Galway
Well I write this on my 3rd htxc smartphone [hero -> one x -> One (m8)] and none if these have ever needed a replacement screen. My nexus 7 however is so far on its 3rd screen. Mir annoying on that device because Asus build the digitiser in to the glass, and when the screen goes the device is unusable as the digitiser breaks too.

Paul_s

decrunching
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
In an ideal world the land would be covered in marshmallows to prevent this.

Last edited:

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Get a Nokia 3310. :LOL:

I use a belt case with my phone. I know, it's so 90s but I simply don't have a free pocket in my pants. Back pockets are not an option and I have the keys and wallet in my front pockets. A belt case does a decent job preventing scratches/cracks/bending.

Phipscube

WipEout Fanboi
Country
Denmark
Region
Ringsted
I've never cracked any of my screens either but I see many folks using phones with cracks and shatter marks all over the screens (that would do my head in!) I guess it depends how careful you are. But I do think phones are made with much less robust materials than back in the 3310 days. I think if I was younger I would have broken the screens on many of the modern phones. But back then I had a tank like 3310 that I drop kicked so many times when I was younger and it kept on going.

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
Do you guys have Protective Phone case that can protected the phone but unfortunately it doesnt protected the phone screen!

The big company have no excuse to make really good screen protections when you pay £500 for phone!

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
That is a very good point. The phones cost so much you have to ask why the manufacturers can't include cases and other available accessories with them as standard, rather than expensive extras. I know it's all marketing to get even more money out of use, but a phone costing £600+ is silly money to begin with in itself. No way can it cost that to actually manufacture.

edd_jedi

Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
I think some people are just the type of people that don't look after things. I have friends who lose their keys/wallets regularly, go through about 5 screens on every phone they have, need a new laptop every year because they run it in to the ground etc. I've owned many smart phones and never broken a screen, I can't remember the last time I lost my keys or wallet, and usually when I have finished with a laptop or computer it is in better condition than it was when I bought it!

If something is made of glass, you need to look after it.

Note: I know this seems pretty ironic considering my JXD post this morning :picard

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
But the Google Nexus 4 is just a silly design. The current cracked screen started from what looked like a very small surface crack on the edge, then it spread out. And I'm very careful will everything.

stachu100

Country
Poland
Region
mazowieckie
Anyone else have similar issues and stories about smartphone screens?

No.
I'm using rubber protection over smartphone.
Dropped smartphone (different ones) several times already.
No issues whatsoever.
I suggest you to do the same.

The rubberr protection for smartphone is not added by manufacturers just to triple sales volume.

ratfink

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
My asus transformer screen cracked after c. 2 years, I reckon simply due to high usage. Likewise touchscreens on laptops last us about a year before failing [HP and Lenovo] though that's not cracking.

But with phones - my sons always end up breaking theirs, about once per year, always "I don't know HOW it happened!". I've never yet bust a Lumia screen though, even though my 710 was dropped on concrete floors and steps many times [seemed as bulletproof as my old 6310i]. The 530 by comparison is cheap as chips; the back broke just in my pocket.

sir_beaker

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Alresford
Oh well, I spoke too soon about the Moto G. It fell onto road when I was walking at lunchtime and smashed (y)

Great excuse to upgrade now Vodafone has kindly installed 4G in the area and my original model only does 3G; plus Motorola announced they're releasing the 2015 Moto G model next month to boot - happy days!!! :woot:

Attachments

• P1050678.jpg
    P1050678.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 0

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
When you say things like "I use the original Moto G and dropped it several times on tiles and the screen's been fine" and it does come back to hunt you like Today Sir Beaker lol

Top Bottom