Modding Amiga case - where to fit a fan?

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
Hello. I'm about to realize a long term project, tidying up my 1200.

I've bought a new and un-interfered with case, a CDTV keyboard, and a SD-card floppy emulator and I'm about ready to strip everything out of my old chassis and bring it all together. Just hunting out a Dremel first so I can do all the cutting nice and neat.

What I'm going to have inside is:

IDE-CF hdd adapter, mounted at rear of case with card projecting through for easy access.
Internal CD-Rom, mounted to rear over towards floppy bay area.
SD floppy emulator mounted in floppy bay (internal floppy going, have external drive if needed)
Indivision AGA
Blizzard 1230 Mk IV

I'm confident all this will fit, once I jettison the internal floppy there's bags more room and I will be able to organise it all better. What I am pondering though is a couple of extra adornments, one cosmetic and one practical.

I would like to install a fan of some kind. I was thinking of mounting it underneath the grill on the top half of the case somewhere. I don't have the trapdoor fitted as with the 128MB stick of RAM on my Blizzard, it's too tight a squeeze, so a fan on the top would be able to pull a lot of air through the trapdoor hole, over the blizzard and motherboard, round the CD-ROM and out the top. Desirable, yes? All I'm unsure about is 1) what type of fan, 2) where to buy it and 3) where to plug it in to get power. Any pointers on these three will be appreciated.

For cosmetic benefit only, I was thinking of getting some neon lights going on, illuminating though the top grill. Any advice on what types of LEDs or whatever and how to plug them to the motherboard would be great.

Once I've got this all fitted and working nicely, I will be swapping the keys with CDTV ones and spraying the case matte black, and I think it's going to look awesome :-D Any solid tips on what paint is best would be lovely.

Last note, the floppy emulator (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SD-Floppy-Emu...=180575793600&ps=63&clkid=4925914333421856354) has a movable screen. I/m thinking that fit the board in the floppy bay so I can access the card and the buttons, but what to do to be able to see the screen? I haven't got the emulator in hand yet so don't know how much play I'll have with it. Any experience chaps?

Ta
S

wilsonsamm

Country
England
Region
Derbys.
If you've taken the floppy out I wonder if you can just use the left over power connector (I think it's on the motherboard).
You may need to check that the voltages are right, and you may need to solder yourself a custom connector.

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
I have a selection of fans hanging around, for free.

you could pull power from the floppy power.

let me go have a look what I've got

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
If you've taken the floppy out I wonder if you can just use the left over power connector (I think it's on the motherboard).
You may need to check that the voltages are right, and you may need to solder yourself a custom connector.

The floppy will be gone, but the floppy emulator that's replacing it takes over the power connector.

I was hoping to put the fan in the far left corner if possible, over the RF modulator. Is there anywhere on that side I can grab power from?

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

That's very kind, cheers! :-D

Could the floppy power run the emulator and a fan do you think?

Sorry if I'm being a dullard, I'm a noob at this sort of thing. :D

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands

That's very kind, cheers! :-D

Could the floppy power run the emulator and a fan do you think?

Sorry if I'm being a dullard, I'm a noob at this sort of thing. :D

Should be OK, I used to run a 3.5" HDD from mine with a floppy too.

I have a smaller fan available, it is 50mm x 15mm deep with a molex power connector (same as 3.5" HDD) as used on socket7 CPUs in the past, it is new, just old stock

I also have a chipset fan 40mm x 10mm which has 3pin connector again new old stock.

these might be easier to fit in a desktop case than the 80mm

Gary

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
I bunged a normal HSF fan from an old system into my case at the top by simply screwing into the ventilation slots already available. There was no modification required apart from making a floppy power cable with an extra connector.

HERE for Picture.

Looking at your system specs though, you won't actually need any extra cooling inside the main case TBH. The CF card and emulator run cool as does the Indivision.
The Blizzard is also a nice cool card, but you could easily ventilate it with a few holes or slots in the trapdoor, or even leave it off.

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland
I bunged a normal HSF fan from an old system into my case at the top by simply screwing into the ventilation slots already available. There was no modification required apart from making a floppy power cable with an extra connector.

HERE for Picture.

Looking at your system specs though, you won't actually need any extra cooling inside the main case TBH. The CF card and emulator run cool as does the Indivision.
The Blizzard is also a nice cool card, but you could easily ventilate it with a few holes or slots in the trapdoor, or even leave it off.

Best way to do it yeah, and as for fans, I use these:
http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fans/mini-kaze-led.html
c37fb34850.jpg

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
Should be OK, I used to run a 3.5" HDD from mine with a floppy too.

I have a smaller fan available, it is 50mm x 15mm deep with a molex power connector (same as 3.5" HDD) as used on socket7 CPUs in the past, it is new, just old stock

I also have a chipset fan 40mm x 10mm which has 3pin connector again new old stock.

these might be easier to fit in a desktop case than the 80mm

Gary

Ah, well, one of those fans would be lovely thanks. Cannot take it for free though like you suggested, I'll offer a fiver to cover postage, a pint and a bag of pork scratchings!

I'll upload some pictures though so you can see what I'm working with and maybe decide which fan will be better for me.

As you can see, there's a hell of a lot of wiring in there. All done by previous owner, and it's a bit ghetto looking but seems to work happily enough. What I believe are the two power sockets (floppy and HDD, behind the floppy drive??) have all those wires feeding into them. Can I get away with working more in??? The final photo shows the back of my CD-ROM, is that a spare power socket I could use?

S

Attachments

• ZX0L9751.jpg
    ZX0L9751.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0
  • ZX0L9752.jpg
    ZX0L9752.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ZX0L9753.jpg
    ZX0L9753.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ZX0L9754.jpg
    ZX0L9754.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ZX0L9756.jpg
    ZX0L9756.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK

HERE for Picture.

Yes, that's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. Despite what you say re heat, I would still like to add a fan as I was tinkering around in it the other night after it had been on for a good while and it did feel warm. Just a little peace of mind :-D

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
Nope, that's the connector for CDRom audio.
Looks like someone has had a good go at knocking up a wiring loom, should be fairly easy to jimmy in another connector for your fan if you still want it.

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
Nope, that's the connector for CDRom audio.
Looks like someone has had a good go at knocking up a wiring loom, should be fairly easy to jimmy in another connector for your fan if you still want it.

Well, that's good then. I think I may have to commission you to ably assist me in this (ie; tell me exactly how to do it, step by painful step).... ;-)

Whilst we're at it, any chance I could stuff this in there too?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Blue-12-30cm-...ting_DesktopComponents_RL&hash=item45f6bea185

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
Only if you enjoy agonising over every single hardware addition! :LOL:

I haven't actually lit up the inside of my case (intentionally) but as it runs off 12v it should work.
BTW what PSU are you using?

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
Only if you enjoy agonising over every single hardware addition! :LOL:

I haven't actually lit up the inside of my case (intentionally) but as it runs off 12v it should work.
BTW what PSU are you using?

I bought a 250W one from Amigakit, so should have plenty of juice to run everything, I hope...

I think I will buy that light set, it's cheap as chips. When I get that and a fan, I will come back knocking for you Mr Jaws :-D

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
...I will come back knocking for you Mr Jaws :-D

Ulp, that sounds a bit ominous. :D
That PSU is absolutely plenty for what you've got, keep the thread updated as you go along. (y)

Top Bottom