Motorbikes inventing lanes!

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
What I really hate about motorbike riders is when they think it is OK to invent an extra lane between the real ones on roads. So often I've thought my wing mirrors were about to be clipped, and the side of the car was about to be dented or scratched, as some idiot on a bike tries to squeeze between my car and the one in the next lane.

Also just as annoying is when they shoot up between the rows of traffic at traffic lights and park their bike on the line between the lanes at the front, blocking both real lanes waiting... and the same on roundabouts.

Bike riders moan about car drivers not using their mirrors and paying attention to bikes, but I'm sure most of the time it is more the bike owner not sticking to the law and cutting between cars to try and be clever. Plus the amount of bikes I see on the wrong side of the road, doing about 120 MPH heading towards on coming traffic just to overtake a car. Idiots!

I love it when stuck in traffic and you see a large van or lorry decide they have had enough and move over just enough to block any bikes coming past. You can see their visors steam up as they are shooting through the traffic and have to suddenly anchor up because someone has decided to teach them where the actual traffic lanes are meant to be. (y)

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
When you're on a bike, the line in the middle is a lane :LOL:

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

You have a point however, just because they can fit they shouldnt be doing it. Its dangerous.

The highway code tells that they should always leave a space as if they consume the area of a small car anyways. Same goes for stopping distances and lane widths etc.

HonestFlames

Country
England
Region
Shropshire
It's been many years since I did my bike CBT. During training, it was instilled that you can nip down the outside of a line of traffic so long as it is clear and safe to do so.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean about blocking both lanes, but it might be because many bikers get hit from behind in at stop points like roundabouts and junctions because car drivers are not always 100% alert. Planting the bike a bit diagonal makes you much more visible.

I don't ride a motorbike (I never passed my test) but I do cycle a fair bit. You have to really be on your guard to avoid conflict on the road. I have to ride in the middle of the lane, preventing overtaking, at pinch-points (those little pedestrian islands in-between lanes) because drivers will (and have) tried to overtake there.

It pisses car drivers off, but I'd rather piss a car driver off than put myself in a dangerous situation.

Of course, just as there are idiot cyclists, there will be idiot bikers. I have no excuses for them :)

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
There's as many good bike riders out there as there are bad ones, same with car drivers too (though I get the impression there's more bad ones when driving). I sort-of feel your pain though since bikers are more vulnerable, if something does happen then it's generally your fault regardless how stupid the rider was, much the same story with cyclists and pedestrians too.

It's annoying that you have to make room for their incompetence but that's life on the road here I suppose.

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Aren't they allowed to do that though?

Doesn't it say on their license, "sign this and tear down dotted line!"

:roll:

...sorry he he.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I fully agree that there are just as many idiots driving cars as riding bikes. The difference that bike riders forget is that in a car you have a good chance of just damaging the car and walking away... on a bike you are a large proportion of its total mass and any accident will involve you physically.

They just seem to take too many risks and not consider other road users, thinking their light vehicle is faster than a car, or able to fit a gap. There have been a lot of the Think Bike signs and posters appearing around Hampshire and West Sussex in the last year... do they work? Not sure as I still see bike accidents every week, with a rider lying on the ground and a neck brace being applied.

tokyoracer

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Aren't they allowed to do that though?

Doesn't it say on their license, "sign this and tear down dotted line!"

:roll:

...sorry he he.
Good one, I like. (y)

Harrison, you are right but part of driving is compensating for peoples mistakes. I had to do that ALOT when learning, I'd also like to think I'm a considerate driver even though I'm still probably classed as a 'young person'. It annoys me since that's the only thing that really stopps me from enjoying a drive.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Believe me, bikers couldn't invent as many lanes as Greater Manchester Police do, especially the X-Cars (vehicle theft unit for those that don't know what X-Cars are).

I've seen them in Salford in an unmarked Subaru Imprezza, inventing lanes all over the place. The normal Police patrols aren't much better and they drive their vans like Sabine Schmitz driving the diesel Transit around the Nurnburgring on Top Gear.

Link-o-matic

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I remember that Top Gear episode well. Brilliant driving. Who ever said women can't drive!

BTW, would love to see her drive the Goodwood Transit around the Nürburgring. For those of you that don't know, this year at the Goodwood festival of Speed, a Jaguar expert had created a special project for the event. A standard looking Ford Transit van.. but under the body was hidden a Jaguar XJ220 setup. It did the timed hill run in just over 1 minute and ended up in the final fastest cars of the day shoot out. It obviously had a few handling issues preventing it from beating the true sports cars of the day because you don't get a lot of downforce from a transit, and the centre of gravity isn't exactly low to the ground! :LOL: But it would be great to see what time Sabine Schmitz could post around Nürburgring with that van!

tokyoracer

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
I remember that Top Gear episode well. Brilliant driving. Who ever said women can't drive!

BTW, would love to see her drive the Goodwood Transit around the Nürburgring. For those of you that don't know, this year at the Goodwood festival of Speed, a Jaguar expert had created a special project for the event. A standard looking Ford Transit van.. but under the body was hidden a Jaguar XJ220 setup. It did the timed hill run in just over 1 minute and ended up in the final fastest cars of the day shoot out. It obviously had a few handling issues preventing it from beating the true sports cars of the day because you don't get a lot of downforce from a transit, and the centre of gravity isn't exactly low to the ground! :LOL: But it would be great to see what time Sabine Schmitz could post around Nürburgring with that van!
Maybe they should get one of these Williams F1 powerd jobbies:

Ford-Transit-Supervan.jpg

Or if the theivs go off-road:
wrc_transit.jpg
http://www.fomcc.de/fordsetzung/03_1/wrc_transit.jpg

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I agree with Harrison on this subject. Some riders think they have special rights just because they are on a smaller vehicle. I guess that's part of the reason there are so many motorcycle accidents and deaths every year. I'm a rider and I don't condone this kind of conduct. It's dangerous for everyone.

Heather

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
I agree with Harrison on this subject. Some riders think they have special rights just because they are on a smaller vehicle. I guess that's part of the reason there are so many motorcycle accidents and deaths every year. I'm a rider and I don't condone this kind of conduct. It's dangerous for everyone.

Heather

Too true...

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
My left arm is 1 1/2 inches shorted than my right all because of a bike accident when I was 17. A car pulled out of a line of parked cars and he didn't look in his rear 3/4 window before doing so. I was faced with a choice; risk going under the front of a bus coming the other way, or hit his car, so I hit the brakes and lined up to smack his car dead in the rear.

The only part of the accident I remember after that was looking down at the roof of the car, as I went over it.....:wooha:

Six months in plaster with pins and screws to put my humerus back together and loads of physiotherapy later, I have most of the function back in my left arm. I can't turn my left palm flat with my arm out in front of me, it stays at about 45 degrees from vertical, but at least it's in one piece and still attached to me.

If you put a motorcycle helmet on, you enter the twilight world of the Invisible Man (or Woman, if you are SdG).....

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
Thats horrible Merlin. I think I speak for everyone on here when I say I'm glad you never went under that bus :)

On a lighter note, should I then ride with no helmet so that im visible to all :LOL:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
I had an accident when I was 18 (the legal age to drive in Brazil). I had a bike.

I was going to work and a woman on a very old car ignored the STOP sign and "show" on my front, too near to me to even hit the breaks...

Resulted in: humerus multiple fractures and collarbone break (just one fracture), plus a big steak missing from my left leg.

A awoke in the hospital, when the medic and two male nurses was trying to re-shape my arm before taking a X-ray to see it broke in four parts...

I had to be in hospital for three weeks...

Never bought a bike again. :(

HonestFlames

Country
England
Region
Shropshire
Thats horrible Merlin. I think I speak for everyone on here when I say I'm glad you never went under that bus :)

On a lighter note, should I then ride with no helmet so that im visible to all :LOL:

Stupid thing is... most of my near-misses from inattentive or downright purposefully dangerous drivers have been when I'm wearing a full-face helmet and hi-viz top.

When I leave off the helmet, car drivers actually do pretend I'm as wide as they are and overtake appropriately.

d0pefish

Country
England
Region
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
I will put a word (or a few million - sorry!) in for the bikers here, as I am one, and I was injured by someone in a van last month - I was filtering, funnily enough. I also hold a car license and regularly drive my car too, so I can see both sides of the camp, and there's no one-or-the-other bias. I enjoy driving both types of vehicle just as much.

As a motorcycle rider, I was taught that filtering is legal, as long as it is safe to do so, and won't cause other traffic a problem. I was taught to put indicators on whilst manoeuvring round the outside of queuing traffic to aid with being seen.

Generally, if there's a queue of traffic stretching back several hundreds of yards, as there often is on a certain junction on my daily commute, I will look for opportunities to make progress. I will wait for oncoming traffic to pass, put on my indicators, and use the oncoming lane to get further up the queue. I will often find some drivers will notice me coming in their mirrors, and kindly tuck themselves in to give me more room. I always answer this with a nod of my helmet in thanks, as it helps me. After all, we're all just trying to get home.

If there's room, and if it's safe, I might as well. You can't expect me to sit there moving 6 inches at a time, leg up, leg down, leg up, leg down for half an hour, when there's a ton of room I could use to move on.

I'd also want to be out of everyone's way, and not be sitting behind some car, intimidating them. I don't know, but some people are intimidated by bikes hovering behind them. I used to be.

There are some situations I just plain don't even attempt. Sometimes, bikers will do 30MPHish, between tightly packed traffic on dual carriageways, with inches to spare either side of them. That's the sort of thing that will worry or startle car drivers, which is never good. That's a situation that falls under my "could cause a problem, don't do it" category.

I reckon it tends to be the guys with the brand new sports bikes that only take them out on weekends when it's sunny. They may not have the experience of those that ride their bikes because it's their vehicle of choice, not just a weekend toy. They may not see the risks of doing potentially dangerous squeezing-past-traffic, and may be less prepared to take action before an accident happens - especially if they're more intent on doing crazy speeds when the police aren't looking.

Unfortunately, for many, riding a bike is about image, and showing off. These are the people who are probably annoying you (and being dangerous). There are probably similar types of people who fit ridiculous exhausts to Vauxhall Corsas and bounce their engines off the rev. limiters at traffic lights.

For me personally, riding a bike is:
  • A way to save money on petrol
  • A way to keep miles off my nice car, and relieve it of the wear and tear of commuting
  • Let's face it, a quicker way of getting to work - especially when I can use bus lanes and safely bypass traffic
  • Enjoyable, despite the risks
  • Just another mode of transport

The above would be obvious if you saw what kind of bike I ride - it's the Land Rover of motorbikes; very utilitarian, almost agricultural. It's nothing fancy, just strong, reliable, handles well, and that's it. It's not very fancy at all.

It's very easy to criticise a whole group of people because they share a common denominator; there are shite bike riders who shouldn't be on the road, just as there are shite car drivers who shouldn't be on the road. But some of us just want to get from A to B, and happen to be on a two-wheeled vehicle.

You will find most motorcyclists are very passionate about riding (for the wrong and right reasons), and some of them can be very quick to have a bitch and a moan about people in cars. Especially the ones that don't drive. For the same reason though, you will hopefully find most of us are very friendly, courteous and grateful when you help us out.

Yes, it's easy to get wound up at a biker who has just overtaken you. Why the f**k should he get somewhere faster than you? But if he's doing it in a way that hasn't startled you, caused you a panic because he's appeared out of nowhere at 90MPH - or just basically broken the law and being twat, give him/her a bit of extra room, and you might just get a thumbs up or a tip of the helmet, just like how we flash our headlights, let people out, and wave from behind the steering wheel when driving our cars.

We're not all inconsiderate, risk-taking twats - I promise. (y)

As for my accident, I was approaching a busy junction, on a dual carriageway. The traffic was queuing before the traffic lights, which were on red, and the tailback was about 300 yards. I decided to slowly (about 5MPH) move along between the two queues of traffic so that I could get nearer to the front, and be out of everybody's way. My headlights were on as always. Unfortunately, as I was going past a van, the passenger of the van suddenly opened his door. The door hit my brake lever, which trapped my finger between it and my handlebar, and took the end of my finger off. The bike came to rest against the wheel of a lorry that was on my left.

When I removed my glove, wondering what was causing the extreme pain I was feeling, I just saw the end of my finger, hanging there.

I've lost about 8mm from my right ring finger; some bone came off too. I had plastic surgery the same day and it's healed very well - just a bit shorter, that's all. The guy was apologetic, and I don't have any intense vitriol toward him - he just failed to see me in his mirror before opening his door - though quite why anyone would do that in traffic that heavy, regardless of whether it was stationary or not, is bewildering. I think he wanted to quickly check if he'd forgotten something in the back of the van. Hence, I was seen to be in the right all the way, even the police who saw me in hospital agreed, and liability was admitted.

Anyway, that's behind me, and I am just trying to get my bike repaired in my spare time, so that I may get it back on the road. I'm not going to in search of cars or vans to vandalise, nor am I going to moan about careless car drivers. I knew what I was signing up for when I did my bike license.

Cheers.:coffee:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
None. Only push bikes. Never had any interest in riding a motorbike. Always driven cars since I past my test years ago.

I think the fact every rider I knew before I could drive had had quite serious accidents at some point in their past put me off.

It was mostly the bikes that speed up between lines of slow moving traffic on dual carriage ways or even motorways that I was referring to with this thread, not motorbikes in general. I've got no problem with a bike slowing edging their way between traffic to get out of a traffic jam. Its the ones who shoot up between the cars inches from each side at 30MPH+ that annoy me, or on motorways when you are doing 50+ and they still do it... now that is just suicide, but I see it every week on the M27, M3 and A27.

One other thing that annoys me is when you get the idiot rides shoot up behind you on the motorway doing over 100, and then hang inches off the rear corner of your car trying to make you move over. Do they not realise cars have blind spots and positioning themselves there makes them nearly invisible to the driver? Or an emergency stop by the car could equal their death?

Top Bottom