Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Not in any meaningful way, no.

To expand on Andy's comment in a bit more depth. Amiga MOD files are multi-sample tracks, sequenced made using software such as Octamed, Protracker etc. Unless you had access to all of the samples of instruments, percussion and vocals, it would be very difficult. This is why these programs show you each of the tracks separately as the track is played.

The simple sequencer programs for the PC, e.g. Dance Ejay work in a similar way.

ColourWheel64

Banned
Country
none
Region
none
I think what mjnurney meant by her query was whether there was a program available that would convert an MP3 into an optimised MOD file for play on the Amiga, which is an interesting idea.

i.e. split up the music into a bank of samples that are interleaved/overlaid to fit the mod format.

However, I have yet to come across such a program. If noone has made one before I finish my current projects then you can count on it. This is on my to-do list.​

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I think what mjnurney meant by her query was whether there was a program available that would convert an MP3 into an optimised MOD file for play on the Amiga, which is an interesting idea.

i.e. split up the music into a bank of samples that are interleaved/overlaid to fit the mod format.

However, I have yet to come across such a program. If noone has made one before I finish my current projects then you can count on it. This is on my to-do list.

I think you'll struggle with the 'optimised' part. Trying to do pattern analysis on the waveforms to pick out samples is going to be a right royal pain.

For Mike, thinking about this more, if space is no consideration, you could chop up a WAV file into samples and put them into a MOD file. The resultant MOD file would be about 100MB, but in theory, it should be possible.

Apologies for the brevity of my previous post. I was struggling to find the words to articulate the issue. Fortunately Dave has stepped to my rescue! :)

ajk

AmiBayer
Country
Finland
Region
Helsinki
A mod (and midi, too) is essentially equivalent to a set of notes describing the music. To produce actual audio you also need a number of musical samples for different instruments, which can then be played at different frequencies. This keeps the total file size very small.

An MP3 is a recording of an actual audio waveform, and as AndyLandy has explained there is no way to just convert that into a mod. You could recreate the melody and instruments, but even then vocals would be an issue. Maybe the "say" utility could sing along with the mod ;)

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
thank you guys i figured as much to be honest and it was a wild stab in the dark...i didn't have to be mp3 , wav would of done.

So then a midi track could be convert to wav could it not? if the sample rate was low enough.

All these questions come form my gaming ideas ....id like to have modern sound tracks and samples in games.

talking or speech was such a thrill on the Amiga and game size is no longer an issue really.

Apart from playing .mods i never tried to make one...and i won't now :)

okay ....thanks

mike.

ajk

AmiBayer
Country
Finland
Region
Helsinki
A midi or mod track can be converted to an mp3 or wave file simply by recording it, either as it is being played by the actual hardware, or in an emulator. Some mod players will probably have a built-in way to record the output to a file.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
If you're using sound samples, you can record anything you like onto an Amiga. The only limiting factors are Paula's sound reproduction capabilities and the amount of storage (and RAM) available to load the samples into.

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
true enough Andy, storage and ram are not the barriers that they one where. i used to sample on a 512K A500 1.2

i used to have samplers to do this but I've forgotten it all now...old age creeps in.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
You could clip the tracks using software such as Audacity, to create the samples you need. I'm not sure if Audacity supports the file formats you need though.

ColourWheel64

Banned
Country
none
Region
none
An MP3 is a recording of an actual audio waveform, and as AndyLandy has explained there is no way to just convert that into a mod. You could recreate the melody and instruments, but even then vocals would be an issue. Maybe the "say" utility could sing along with the mod ;)

But mod doesn't support the "say command". Are you referring to the AMOS say command?

A mod (not midi) supports a bank of mono samples and allows you to map them over time as a note and effect pair. With fast ram you get 8 channels and without you get 4 (half left speaker and other half for the right).

My idea was for a program to generate a sample bank, patterns and sequence from an mp3.

As usual, there'd be sliders and options: Target memory, number of channels and all that sort of thing.

I don't expect it will sound much like the original, but you all know how these projects go. All those impossible obstacles aren't so impossible after all.​

demolition

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I remember having a DOS tool which converted .wav into a module, however I cannot remember what it was called. I probably found it in some shareware collection.
I am also not sure if the output was indeed .mod or if it was .xm (which can handle much bigger samples). Needless to say, the output file was pretty much useless since it just chopped up the wav into segments and played them after each other, so the output file was as big as the input file.

Proper conversion of .wav into .mod is like converting a picture of text into text (OCR) but having 8 or more layers of text written on top of each other. A human might be able to decode it, but it is very hard to make a program which can split the layers from each other (despite what software can do in certain TV shows).

ColourWheel64

Banned
Country
none
Region
none
My thoughts were to begin with a few base samples: Square, saw, sine and buzz and to combine two channels to effectively double the resolution of a sample being played. Preserving stereo. Maybe. Possibly. Who knows. Projects like this usually end up changing a lot during development.

Top Bottom