MPDOS Amiga/Atari Peripheral Emulator

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Hey everyone,

A friend of mine pointed me to the Multi-Platform Distributive Operating System (MPDOS) web site. It appears to be a hardware + software solution for emulating an Amiga/Atari floppy drive, keyboard, mouse and other peripherals through your PC's parallel port.

Since you need to buy the hardware, he asked me if it would be worth getting. Since this is the first I have heard of this project, I really don't know anything about it. Have any of you heard about or used this system?

Thanks!

Heather

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Re: MPDOS Amiga/Atari Peripheral Emulator

hmmmm

$60 usd is a sum of cash not to be triffled with, I would like to see HOW this all works, I may drop them a little message :)

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

I'm sure this could be a wonderful addition to an Amiga if it works as advertised. As you say, $60 is enough money to throw away if it ends up not working well. Let us know what you find out. :D

Heather

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

It does appear to have some major limitations though, reading through the site.

I'd rather spend the money on a Catweasel (buggy though they are) and be able to write real Amiga disks on my PC.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

@M

The Catweasel must be the most disapointing bit of Miggy kit you can buy, I don't know anyone who is happy with theirs.

This MPDOS I think is a floppy emulator, which is interesting for people who still like to work with ADF files rather than WHDLoad

TC :wink:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

What is wrong with the CatWeasel? I've been planning to buy one for a long time.

As for this project, it looks very old. Nothing was updated on the site since 2002, until a sudden note was made in 2008.

PhilipMcD

Country
Country
Region
Region

Personally, I'm more interested in that floppy emulator that was discussed on AOrg (I can't wait to get away from floppies, for good...) because it'd be ace on an A600 - practically turn it into an Minimig, except you'd have the added satisfaction that it's a real Classic Amiga.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

It definitely would be great to have such a device, to load floppy disk images via an SD card (or similar) and for an Amiga to see it as if it were a real floppy disk/drive. Would definitely be a great addition to any well used Amiga, and as you say, it would finally remove the need to use floppy disks most of the time. I do say most of the time because there are those occasions when we get hold of some floppy disks with software or games on that are either not available as ADFs yet, or are not able to be ripped to ADF, or won't work as an ADF.

Top Bottom