Not open for further replies.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Don't know if I need a medal, a beating or just plain shooting.

I've begun Installing Windows V7 on a test system. :oops:

Got to have a laugh init.

TC :LOL:

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
Re: MS Windows V 7

You did what...
1.gif

actually, I know a couple of people who have downloaded it and so far they are finding it a lot better than Vista.
Main improvement is that is supposed to be much less resource hungry.

Let us know how you find it.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Vista is a pile of bollox tbh! It's good to hear WinDoZe 7 might be better, but it uses VISTA drivers! - Muppets!! :roll:

I'd be intrested in your feedback TC.

Kin

@ Imnogeek

Nice Smiley m8. :LOL:

morcar

Banned
Country
UK
Region
Wales, UK

Well first off my system

The basics
Intel Quad Q6600
2GB 1066MHz DDR2 Cosair Dominator
XFX Geforce 8800GTS 360MB

ok well when i tried Vista it ran like a slug even when i updated everything with all of M$ updates and even games ran like crap. On Windows 7 they ran a lot better.

The system itself is like Vista only on the bottom where you would have the programs running they now use icons and these icons can be stacked. So it makes stuff like MSN messenger a lot better and a lot neater to use when your talking to 10 people at once.

Games ran really well on Win7 I tried Crysis using DX10 and i could run it on med settings without any problems. I also tried Devil May Cry 4, Far Cry 2, Gears of war and they all ran really well.

All in all the system dumps on Vista from a very tall building and i cant wait to get the full OS, but right now I will stay on XP until then.

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire

hiya,

Yup i have had this running on a clocked QX6800 rig for a while now and all i can say is that it is what vista should have been. Funnily enough i was at MS in Reading a little while ago talking iscsi and hyper-v when one of the engineers (no names mentioned) actually admitted that they should have never released vista and just held on with 7, i almost fell over laughing... To be honest as much as i am pro Ux 7 does seem to be a breath of fresh air from vista and this is only beta :)

cheers,

Adonay

Country
lund sweden\Haugesund Norway
Region
Skåne

Well seems i am the only guy here happy with vista .. I think it runs great on my computer "64 bit edition" .. I use my computer mostly to run games and i can run everything very well even crysis. I hope windows 7 will improve ofcourse but i will have a new computer when i change to that anyways ... Besides it is in beta stage with out all the anoying extras.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

I generally like Vista; they seem to have fixed most of the issues. I generally do not run it because it is a slow, resource hungry OS and I have some hardware that will not get Vista drivers. I hate it when you can't use perfectly functional hardware on a new OS.

I've heard good things about Windows 7 as well and was thinking about installing it on my home entertainment PC. It's an older machine with a decent amount of memory but it should run it OK.

Heather

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

Adonay said:
Well seems i am the only guy here happy with vista .. I think it runs great on my computer "64 bit edition" .. I use my computer mostly to run games and i can run everything very well even crysis. I hope windows 7 will improve ofcourse but i will have a new computer when i change to that anyways ... Besides it is in beta stage with out all the anoying extras.

nah your not alone m8, i love Vista, i always laugh when i hear peeps telling me how good XP is, i remember XP being the blue screen of death master when it was released, nothing worked and it was as buggy as hell untill the SP packs came out for it, honestly XP wasn't right until SP2, now Vista i installed and everything worked, it was a bit sluggish but SP1 seems to have solved that, on my rig at least (dual core extreme, 4gb, 2TB hdd and sli 8800 GTX ultras) DX10 games look soooo much better and my rig blows the consoles out of the water on like for like games ;o).
still mostly using my A1200 at the moment though (can't stop playing wing commander and UFO) :D :D

"Disclaimer, the views expressed above are solely the expirences and opinions of the author and not of the site or the Amiga community at large"

tee hee, Cheers, JuvUK

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ JuvUK

Keep an eye on Spunksters Water Cooled thread. I have some long awaited benchmark grabs. You will be gob smacked, & all from a single Dual GPU Card. He's under 10 seconds for 1Mb SuperPi too! :shock:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

Kin Hell said:
@ JuvUK

Keep an eye on Spunksters Water Cooled thread. I have some long awaited benchmark grabs. You will be gob smacked, & all from a single Dual GPU Card. He's under 10 seconds for 1Mb SuperPi too! :shock:

ssswwweeeeeetttttt!!!!! :shock: :shock:

P.S hiya m8 :D

Adonay

Country
lund sweden\Haugesund Norway
Region
Skåne

Kin Hell said:
@ JuvUK

Interesting i will look forward to that .. Although Pi in it self does not say much to me as i never did run it , The game benches does however :D

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina

I really like windows, ANY flavor. They made computing available to the masses, there is no doubt about that :mrgreen: Sure they have their share of stupidity, but tell me an OS that does not. Especially one that can run in countless configurations...
TheCorfiot, tell us of your #7 impressions :)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

I personally don't like Vista and haven't installed it on any of my main systems. It's really only a bloated and slow XP with a pretty coat of paint and DX10 anyway. And all NT based M$ OSs haven't been completely stable until SP2. NT4 wasn't, Win 2000 wasn't, XP wasn't, and Vista hasn't got a SP2 yet... will Windows 7 be the real Vista/SP2? ;)

I've heard lots of good things about Win 7 and am going to give it a try soon.

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina

I find Vista SP1 VERY efficient! I liked it so much, I installed them on my work PC too... If someone is a gamer, then they are mandatory, DX10 is a must!

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire

I agree with gaming side of things, vista is very capable and from others that i know who swear by it they have had some really nice results (the right components etc), but my experience with it in a corporate environment is not so good especially when it comes to rolling out group policies etc with vista, not a good experience :( I hope 7 is different in that respect...

cheers,

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Unless you want to play the handful of DX10 specific games, then XP is perfectly fine for gaming. In fact most DX9 games will run much faster in XP than they would under Vista on the same system.

For productivity work I hate Vista. It's slow, clunky and a resource hog. I still used an XP Pro SP2 based system with 3GB ram as my main design system and it's perfect for that job.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

I have no doubt that I will eventuall try Windows 7,

I dont differenciate between OS's they all have their good and bad points, like my laptop 4GB ram Zm80 Ultra 64bit cpu, 250GBs ataII hdd Radeon 3650gfx, runs vista 64... it has its moments i can assure you, but on the whole its... kinda behaved :)

I also run in the house

• XP (wifes, mine and software dev box)
    XP64 (media PC and Daughters)
    Vista 64 (wifes and mine laptops)
    Linux:- Fedora Core 3 and 5 (two dev boxes)
    Dos 6.2 / 7 and Win98
    Windows 2000 (spare laptop)
    QNX / Amithalon

so a few OS's to play with :)

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

@thread

Sorry for taking a while to get back.... but here goes..
Before I start I have to agree with keropi / Bratacus & Zetr0. There really is nothing wrong with VISTA, I've been using it since RC1 & it was pretty stable then. Yes it is a bit resource hungry but I actually find it more stable than XP. It is my day to day OS of choice but I do run many other OS's from RISC OS, Amiga OS to Win 2K ( Win 9x has been banned from my house for years & I use DOSBox for older game compatibility ).
In truth some of the arguments against VISTA here are a teeny bit remniscent of "Why should I upgrade my WB 1.2 to WB 2.0" :LOL:

Anyway back to Windows V7
When I Beta tested VISTA I used my old Media Centre XPC unit as the test bed, now don't laugh as it is an old but solid Spec.

Intel 865 / ICCH 5 P4@2.8MHz not Hyper threading.
512 MB DDR
Geforce FX5200 / on board AC97 5.1 Audio
Digital Tuner card - Hauppauge
80GB 7200rpm Seagate 8MB cache.

This system was put together to run Windows MCE 2005 which run's smoothly & it does the job.

Now when I tested VISTA with this setup, it was stable & ran fine but the CPU utilisation was pretty much constantly maxed out. system was sluggish & tbh not really useable without getting frustrated. But I did like Vista so I built my main system which I use today around the Core2Duo & 4GB RAM....etc & it runs VISTA perfectly & it IS Fast. The current install has been running for 2 years (from machine build) & I've never seen a blue screen or had to reboot the system due to a crash. (Secret is in the Drivers.. but we all know that??)

When I got hold of Windows V7 I thought it would be interesting to use the same testbed as fair comparison, esp as MCE 2005 had corrupted recently (again!!!!)
I was a bit concerned as M$ recomend 1GB RAM min but I only have 512MB, I was not interested in spending any money on the XPC. Still lets give it a whirl.

Well it installed in half the time I remember VISTA taking. & it works faultlessly, I even used old Beta VISTA RC2 drivers for the FX5200 as it is no longer the min supported card. Aero graphics work fine though with this setup.
When idling I have between 80- 140MB real RAM to spare & the CPU hits 100% a lot but it does appear to idle a lot more, the system is very responsive & fast.
The Interface GUI has been cleaned up a little bit, looks sleeker, but M$ win the prize for the number of control panel icons available...
All in all it's good very stable & certainly less resource hungry than VISTA, it's going to be a worthy upgrade & quite possibly for once in M$ history will require a lower powered PC spec than it's predecessor... :shock:

Media Centre is much improved regarding operation features & looks, it really is nice & as much as I like XBMC,M$ has set the standard here but of course you have to pay for it.
Media Centre places the most resources on the system,for MC you defnitly need 1GB RAM Min & a better GFX card. I'm sure my main system would cope.

All in all guys you have to try it, After all it is a FREE media centre OS valid until Aug30th
I like it, although I'm a VISTA fan / user, Windows V7 is defnitely an improvement.

It's all really remniscent of when M$ took WIN2K applied a new GUI, broke the code & called it WinXP.
This time they have taken Windows VISTA, optimised the code, updated the GUI & thankfully gone back to version numbers instead of bloody awful dates then fancy names. It's the OS they should have released back then instead of VISTA. but with OSX beginning to look prettier than Win XP well they couldn't wait could they.

Just for reference regarding Ver numbers
Windows NT = V4
Windows 2000 = V5.0
Windows XP = V5.1
Windows VISTA = V6.0
Don't know if this release really justifies a jump to V7 as there were more changes between 2K/XP & VISTA/V7

Hope you enjoyed reading

TC :mrgreen:

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

To be honest, I generally won't install any MS operating system until at least SP1 has been released, they are usually too full of bugs straight out of the box.

My main system runs Xp Home Edition SP3 and it's rock solid; I reckon it's now as reliable as Win2000 used to be. I'm on a 3.2 Celeron D with 2Gb RAM, GeForce 7300LE and 200Gb main hard drive, although I have 500+GB available over five drives.

The main gripe I have with MS is all the bloatware that they ponce onto you, that you either don't want or never use; why can't they give us a nice, tightly coded vanilla core build like Linux, and let the individual decide how he or she wants to configure it in terms of other software?

That being said, generally it installs without too much hassle on most machines; the fun starts when you begin to add the correct drivers for your system... I had hell with Realtek High Definition sound drivers following a certain monthly update. Now I vet all updates and Google the Knowledge Base number to see if anyone else has had problems before I install them.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

@Merlin

Totally agree regarding Win2000, In my mind If I had to put a server together that MUST never fail or chaos would ensure it would be Win2K. In essence it is the system you have described ie without bloatware yet fully functional. Win 2K is defnitely the most stable OS that M$ ever produced.

Regarding drivers yep, as I said above certain system drivers MUST have the ability to bypass the HAL & operate at the Kernal level & these are the ones that usually cause BSOD's if they are buggy. VIA chipsets of old spring to mind.

If you have a spare HD It's worth installing as it really is very stable, it's using VISTA drivers which are now very stable & in fairness they seem to have got it pretty right.

Due to the majority of my Work being IT support based I do tend to beta test versions of OS's prior to release to obtain knowledge & prepare myself for when the real calls start coming in :LOL:

TC :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom