multi evolution 500 scsi

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
As my A4000 is waiting for parts to arrive, I decided to give my A500 another look.

Not in the mood for gaming I took the multi evolution 500 SCSI expansion and put in a recently received 2GB SCSI disk, coming from MAC.

Rare SCSI disk I would say no jumpers, but anyway expected it to be unit 0.

I just put it in and fired up the A500 together with the multi evolution.

Fired up in "firmware" or "bios" or whatever it is called in Amiga terms it detected the HD (not like the one in before read error etc) and it gave postive info, declared as device 4.

It does it 3 x times and then decides it is about enough and reads floppy.

Well for know I have ROM 2.0 and 3.1 (I will receive 1.3 from Ruud in the future)

I put in workbench 3.1 and launch HDTOOLBOX, but it does not see any drives. Also tried prepare hard drive with 0,4,6 etc.. Went to the boxes that came with that A500, but no disk to be found labeled about that expansion.

I download the dms file from amigaresource to have the setup disk and it was clearly an 1.3 workbench thingie.

Well it just hangs trieeng to install the hd. Not sure what to, I could wait for the proper roms and take it from there, but I just wan't to run workbench 3.1 on it, and use 1.3 for only disk based games, best is that the 1.3 does not know that there is an harddrive at all.

The workbench 2.X hdtoolbox gave: no hard disk driver

What I would like is have workbench 3.1 starting from it and workbench 1.3 rom kept stupid.

chain

Chain`s H.Q.
AmiBayer
Country
Czech Republic
Region
Vysocina
i have this one somewhere (just for that startup screen :cool:)
it sure need some special xxx.device setup for hdtoolbox.
im using 2.x wit thisand whne i will be sober i will tall ya what device it needs to setup in hdtoolbox (y)

edit:
it will be probably evolution.device
(set it in tooltype of hdtoolbox)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
mm

mm

Yes !! OS 3.1 install running. After setting the tooltype to the suggested name, everything was as usual, already installing os 3.1 (format complete)

2GB recognised and already 1 partition formatted.

For the sake to complete this question:

The tooltype is in the information option at the top
Before it can be properly configured I had to read the config from the drive.

Txs chain!

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
@ rkauer

I believe whatever Chain drinks, that YOU wield the sceptre. (y)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
friday

friday

Friday is my day to drink to. Only a bit later, probably a bit more :)

Happy that answer was given!

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
addon

addon

Well it is running properly. The 2GB disk is probably a little bit over, since it seems not to format over the 1GB located partitions.

Quite impressive, the gui is still workable on this cpu.

I am wondering, for a couple of years, why workbench 3.1 starts and runs from 2.0 rom, would expect it not to run, but having the switch in the wrong position only gives me a cool black top menu..

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
@jvd

you will find that although WB 3.1 will load & run with KS2.xx, Most apps especially the 'prefs' will not run.

you may find your WB colours a bit odd too KS3.x changed the way the colour pallete is assigned from KS2.xx

Runs WHDLoad though :LOL:

TC :)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
tc

tc

Thanks TC, did not do much with the 2.x rom and 3.1 so did not notice to much. But favored the black color of 2.X:roll:

Had the same with my A600 and rom switcher, running workbench 3.1 on 2.X rom by error..

And on A1200 3.0 rom with wb 3.1. That was exactly the reason why asking, since everywhere people say you will need rom xxx to run workbench xxx, they never say the word "properly".

Well in future will have 1.3 and 3.1 rom in, so for me nothing else exists. Have no really wanted software inbetween.

Wondering if workbench 3.1 will be happy wit 1.X rom, hopefully it forgets the hard disk, and give me put in a flop screen, like it is planned.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I don't see much point in having a Kickstart switch with 2.x in it. 1.3 and 3.1 is the most-useful combination.

Also, the floppy disk drive usually has a higher boot priority than the internal hard disk, so if you want to switch to Kickstart 1.3 and run a floppy, just put the disk in the drive before you turn on, don't worry about trying to boot from the hard disk.

If you prefer the black title bars of Workbench 2, you can always change them in the preferences for Workbench 3 :)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
txs andy

txs andy

Andy indeed, I need rom 1.3, but that rom will arrive next week.

Noticed by know that the "boot rom" from the scsi is quicker after setting the hard disk up in workbench. (it reads only once the bus, instead of 3 times) and indeed first the floppy. Strange it is that intelligent that it knows there is configured and formatted hard disk in, i would presume it only knew about the hard disk, but it know's when there are amiga partitions on it to, since it responds differently..

But might just cut some traces, and have an extra switch, on the A500 board to have the hard disk off off, for noise, and wan't 100% compatibility.

Is it so that even having the extra memory causes some games not to run? I believe it is, have one A2000 stocked for more then 10 years, because it was not 100% compatible.

matt020

Finger lickin' good
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Western Australia
Any chance of a couple of pictures of this setup with the SCSI expansion?

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
matty,

matty,

Sure, it is still unfinished, since I can't close the amiga anymore, even with the case of the floppy drive. (it's a pc floppy)

Top Bottom