fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I recently picked up an A1200 from Peter off these board (thanks Peter) (y)

I didn't think I would have a use for a Desktop A1200 after pimping out my Tower but these desktop A1200's are pretty close to my heart and I couldn't resist when Peters came up being that he is so close by making collection/delivery possible.

With my Tower getting the 060 treatment I have my Blizzard 1230 going spare + SCSI so I thought they would be well placed in the A1200D.

And the damn tower just wont take the FastATA so that too along with my spare DCE Flicker/Scan Magic (if it will fit) are being donated to the A1200D making it a pretty nice little system.

I've only got 3.0 Roms in there but its working fine so, if it ain't broke and all that... The Bliz and FastATA are in and working, the SCSI kit is connected to the SCSI port driving my external CDRW. I've got 64mb on the Bliz and 64mb on the SCSI giving me a whopping 128mb :D

I've installed a 4gb CF card setup with SFS Classic Workbench ADV SP and 3.09gb of WHDLoad'ness :cool:

Here is some Pr0n for you guys =) (More to come if I can fir the DCE in there)

IMG_9812.jpg

IMG_9813.jpg

IMG_9814.jpg

Nice SpeedZ :blink:

---------- Post added 15th August 2010 at 00:02 ---------- Previous post was 14th August 2010 at 22:30 ----------

Wow, the speed from the FastATA is awesome, shame it dosen't work on the Tower. I've attached a little vid of Doom loading and I've never seen it load so fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U3Kdj4K0pM Enjoy!

Last edited:

Phipscube

WipEout Fanboi
Country
Denmark
Region
Ringsted
That looks great fitzsteve! :) Love those close ups (y)

I'm thinking about getting a 'clean' A1200 and putting an 030 in with the sole purpose of running WHDload stuff. And the Fast ATA really does fly doesn't it? I still have my MKI but its such an annoying stubborn piece of hardware to get running and its physical mounting causes endless problems with a heavily modded system. So for now its waiting to be possibly used in the same way you have done with yours.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
That looks great fitzsteve! :) Love those close ups (y)

I'm thinking about getting a 'clean' A1200 and putting an 030 in with the sole purpose of running WHDload stuff. And the Fast ATA really does fly doesn't it? I still have my MKI but its such an annoying stubborn piece of hardware to get running and its physical mounting causes endless problems with a heavily modded system. So for now its waiting to be possibly used in the same way you have done with yours.

Thanks =)

Yes this machine is perfect for WHDLoad! If I just want a quick gaming session this is the one I use, save the 060 for the high end stuff :cool:

And, yeah that FastATA is a beast!

Mad_Cat_jr

World Wide Suicide
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Rotterdam
Wow, the speed from the FastATA is awesome, shame it dosen't work on the Tower.

Wow Amazing what came out of that kingstone CF. it's not that fastest card, so maybe with a sandisk it's even faster.
Maybe you would try it once.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Steve,

Don't you own a Blizzard with SCSI?

Charlie

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Steve,

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Yeah I've got a SCSI kit, the SCSI is running my external CDRW :) Oh and holding the xtra RamZ...

I was trying out SCSI for HDD with my A4000 and the boot time kills me, becuase of the 3.1 waiting for IDE.

This system boots in about 5 seconds :D

Wow, the speed from the FastATA is awesome, shame it dosen't work on the Tower.

Wow Amazing what came out of that kingstone CF. it's not that fastest card, so maybe with a sandisk it's even faster.
Maybe you would try it once.

I have a Verbetim card which is very fast, maybe I'll try that =)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Steve,

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Yeah I've got a SCSI kit, the SCSI is running my external CDRW :) Oh and holding the xtra RamZ...

I was trying out SCSI for HDD with my A4000 and the boot time kills me, becuase of the 3.1 waiting for IDE.

<snip> =)

If you put a fast SCSI drive on that rig, you should have a much faster Miggy, what-ever SysInfo tells you on the Drive Speed. SCSI from your Blizzard does not use CPU Cycles. Unfortunately, ....your Fast ATA is. ;)

Try it and do ome real Test like Copy, Read, write files accross the system, from Ram to hard Drive etc. Also note what you can do in the background via Multi-Tasking compared to IDE. ....You should be Impressed. (y)

Charlie

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Steve,

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

<snip> =)

If you put a fast SCSI drive on that rig, you should have a much faster Miggy, what-ever SysInfo tells you on the Drive Speed. SCSI from your Blizzard does not use CPU Cycles. Unfortunately, ....your Fast ATA is. ;)

Try it and do ome real Test like Copy, Read, write files accross the system, from Ram to hard Drive etc. Also note what you can do in the background via Multi-Tasking compared to IDE. ....You should be Impressed. (y)

Charlie

Thanks for the advice Charlie, I think I might go SCSI on the A1200T since it would not take the FastATA

I will probably do a SCSI-IDE setup, just waiting for the price to come down on the converters or for a group buy to come up :cool:

Steve.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Yeah Steve. It's funny this way:!

Everyone raves about CF cards in their Miggy, yet they cant see the Icon Display performance is slaughtered over a 44pin Hard Drive. :|

It's to do with the Cache on the HD. - CF does not have a Cache & therefore, Icons on the WB partition will be slow to load compared to Icons from WB, from a HD.

Even an IBM Micro-Drive is faster on Icon load than a bog standard CF card. - Put SCSI behind it & you are the Master Flyer m8. - Trust meh! ;)

Charlie

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I hear you charly, my A1200T is running off just an Amigakit 4way buffered IDE at the moment and a 2.5in 40gb laptop drive and the icons are instant (y) But I guess it is driven by an 060!

To be honest I prefer real HDD's over CF, but its such a tidy solution in the A1200D with the cableless adapter I can live with it :)

Steve.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
....& I hear you too m8. CF is a much tidier solution, even if slower in the process.

Best Wishes,

Charlie

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
CF is not that slower than HD.

Thing is it have an almost instant seek time (no moving parts) and no delay in availability (at cold boot).

But in the run an HD is way better, as it is more reliable and the cost per megabyte is very interesting compared to a CF.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Delay aside rauker, the CF does not have the Cache function & that's a big difference for the Icon Dispay. SysInfo tell lies on true data transfers & you know it. ;)

Charlie

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Its a straight trade off, cache vs. seek time :cool:

I guess they both have their advantages, all I can say is that on an A1200D I like the tidy layout & silent operation of a CF card.

And on a Tower, with noisy fans, etc, well I'm all for the good ol' fashioned hard Drive (y)

My 2 cents. (Don' spend them all at once as my Dad used to say)

Steve.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
& then forgetting CF or IDE, ....SCSI makes your Amiga Faster. - Game over. (y)

Kin

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Managed SCSI with a SSD disk is something to behold my friends!

A while back I had the pleasure to play with a Managed SCSI controller with 32MB of ram on board with i90 scsi controller. This jiggle was plumed up to 2x 32GB SSD in RAID STRIPE.

U360 SCSI (SCSI3) is amazing.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Yay, Amigakit rock - my new Keyboard arrived today :D

Superb service as always (y)

IMG_9957.jpg

Phipscube

WipEout Fanboi
Country
Denmark
Region
Ringsted
She looks lovely Steve :) Its amazing what a new set of clean keys does. I was going to paint my whole machine black and replace my keys with CDTV ones, but my old keyboard was temporamental on the ribbon so decided to buy one from Amigakit and add the black keys to it... when I put it in those gleaming white keys made me change my mind. It would have been such a shame to spoil how nice it looks now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom