My A4000D ATX Mod

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Hey everyone!

I finally got around to working on my A4000D ATX mod today and it turned out great! I really want to thank Nathan for sending me the dead A4000D power supply that allowed me to do this mod. :)

Here's what I used:

Dead A4000D Power Supply
Blue Star 325W mATX PSU
AmigaKit Amiga A4000 ATX PSU Adapter Cable with Switch

Nathan had already gutted the A4000D power supply so all that was left was the case with the wires attached and a fan. I removed the power switch from the dead power supply and cut all the unnecessary wires. I cut the wires to the pass-through monitor power connector because I'm not going to use it. Finally, I removed the old fan.

Next I disconnected the fan and removed the top of the case from the ATX Power supply. I cut the wires from the power connector then completely removed the connector. I was able to then place the ATX Power supply sideways into the old PSU case. Then I attached the ATX fan to the old PSU case and re-routed the wires through the old case.

I used hot glue to hold the ATX PSU in the old case and I was also able to run the switch from the ATX adapter back into the old PSU case and attach it to the correct location so the power button rod would fit just like the original.

Finally, I soldered the wires from the old PSU's power connectors to the wires I cut from the ATX PSU's power connector and used heat shrink tubing to finish up. It took a few hours total but I think it turned out great for my first ever try at this.

Let me know what you all think. :D

Heather

Attachments

• A4000D ATX Mod 2010-07-10.001.jpg
    A4000D ATX Mod 2010-07-10.001.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 6
  • A4000D ATX Mod 2010-07-10.002.jpg
    A4000D ATX Mod 2010-07-10.002.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 6
  • A4000D ATX Mod 2010-07-10.003.jpg
    A4000D ATX Mod 2010-07-10.003.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 5
  • A4000D ATX Mod 2010-07-10.004.jpg
    A4000D ATX Mod 2010-07-10.004.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 6
  • A4000D ATX Mod 2010-07-10.005.jpg
    A4000D ATX Mod 2010-07-10.005.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 5
  • A4000D ATX Mod 2010-07-10.006.jpg
    A4000D ATX Mod 2010-07-10.006.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 6
  • A4000D ATX Mod 2010-07-10.007.jpg
    A4000D ATX Mod 2010-07-10.007.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 6

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I like it...(y) Hope it works better then original. I still need to source a local matx psu and see how it performes..

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Heather

A superb modification indeed (y)

Very clean & well thought out, but best of all it keeps the all original look, especially the power rod / switch operation.

Well nice & pokey supply, time to further populate the Z III slots and use the juice :LOL:

Excellent work indeed, certainly got the hang of this hackery malarky haven't you girl.. :nod:

Be proud, very proud indeed, well I'm very proud of you.

Keep up the great work (y)

Best Wishes
TC :D

JD6

Country
Czech Republic
Region
Central Bohemia
Very nice (y)
I like the green and blue cable tie clips :)
I'm planning this hack too, so thank you for great inspiration.

mfilos

Extr3m3ly l33t
Country
Greece
Region
Glyfada/Athens
That is indeed a fine mod Heather!
Really well done maintaining the original look and feel :D
Good to see more juice for the beloved A4000. Not all PSUs deliver the required Amperes for +5V line.

Keep up the good work girl (y)

Brian

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Kentucky
Really nice work! Even better than you could keep the original look-and-feel.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Wow! Thank you all for the wonderful words. :) I sincerely appreciate your thoughts. You are my peers in the retro community and I really value your opinions.

I had a few goals in mind when I was doing this mod:

• Make the mod completely removable by not modifying the A4000D case.
  • Keep the hard drive tray in the same location.
  • Use the original A4000D power rod to turn the power on/off.
  • Keep things as tidy as possible.
The dead A4000D PSU that Nathan sent to me made all of these things possible. My biggest concern was how I was going to attach the ATX PSU to the inside of the old PSU. I decided to use hot glue and it worked better than I expected. :)

Well nice & pokey supply, time to further populate the Z III slots and use the juice :LOL:

Excellent work indeed, certainly got the hang of this hackery malarky haven't you girl.. :nod:

Be proud, very proud indeed, well I'm very proud of you.
Thanks so much Bas! I'm very happy with this little ATX power supply and I really wish I had bought two of them! The hackery bit is a learning process and I think I get a little better each time. Maybe some time I'll be able to wow everyone with something really incredible. :wink:

Thanks again everyone!

Heather

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Heather

There's only one thing missing ; a picture of the proud owner with the machine....(hint hint)

/Merlin nudges rkauer....:whistle:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
A beauty, indeed.

And the power supply looks very nice, too. Well done, Heather. I'm proud of you.

And deeply in love now...

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Thanks again everyone! One of the other nice things about the mod is that the system is quieter than it was before. :)

Heather

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
I'm glad to see that dead power supply came in handy. Don't listen to the boys here trying to talk you into snapping a picture of yourself with the machine. We already know you are beautiful, both in personality and kindness (as well as that small picture someone found of you.:))

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
I'm glad to see that dead power supply came in handy. Don't listen to the boys here trying to talk you into snapping a picture of yourself with the machine. We already know you are beautiful, both in personality and kindness (as well as that small picture someone found of you.:))

oh god, i think i'm going to be sick! far too much sugary sweetness in here for me:sick:

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
Have to tell the truth. SdG is the nicest person I have met online in a long time. She just also happens to be a woman. We all know that she is very attractive, well those of us who saw the picture. Plus to top it all off, a vast majority of the men on here who put up pictures are quite handsome as well. I am comfortable enough with myself to say that we have some good looking guys on this website. Oh no, my mind, it is warped. I just thought 'Hey we could make a dating site, calling Ami-Men - The men of Amibay - discreet dating site.' Bad mind! Bad! :LOL::LOL:

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Have to tell the truth. SdG is the nicest person I have met online in a long time. She just also happens to be a woman. We all know that she is very attractive, well those of us who saw the picture. Plus to top it all off, a vast majority of the men on here who put up pictures are quite handsome as well. I am comfortable enough with myself to say that we have some good looking guys on this website. Oh no, my mind, it is warped. I just thought 'Hey we could make a dating site, calling Ami-Men - The men of Amibay - discreet dating site.' Bad mind! Bad! :LOL::LOL:

Nathan

Can you please post to me immediately some of the drugs you are taking at the moment

TC :LOL:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
lol TC talk for yourself! I mean, I am a good looking guy, big headed? maybe, but still a good looking guy:p

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Ah Juvvy, predictable you are not indeed

I was awaiting a Super Mario Comeback :LOL:

Top Bottom