My Blizzard 1260 runs hotter than the surface of the sun

Amigarobbo

AmiBayer
Country
Widnes, UK
Region
Cheshire
*note slight exaggeration*

I've got a Revision 1 68060 chip* in my Blizzard 1260, and it runs rather hotter than I'd like in a desktop 1200. Hotter than a Blizzard 1230@50 for example..

And as cool chips last longer, any ideas on how to keep it cool? Or should I just lob it the bin? :whistle:

* Not too sure what die numbers I could find out if you really need them, it's just it'll hurt my little fingers to go poking. :Doh:

Hell_Labs

Banned
Country
England
Region
St.Helens, Lancashire
Is there room to glue one of those tiny heatsinks on it? I suppose you can always hack one down if it won't fit.

Amigarobbo

AmiBayer
Country
Widnes, UK
Region
Cheshire
I was think about that, but is there much point as there's not much are around those parts, so to speak.

Also, what's the best way to stick em on, just in case you have to take them off or something? And just where do you get them?

I use to have a 4000 with a warm 68060 (oh, why did I sell it! Oh the money of course!) I stuck an old PC heat sink on, which seemed to get quite warm, which was a good thing but that would have a bit more air moving about. but I'm rambling now.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Use a thermal pad (this have glue on both faces) or common thermal paste and two little drops of superglue on two corners of the heatsink.

The last approach with let you remove the heatsink if you want/need to.

I strong recommend you to put a small fan mounted vertically near the CPU blowing air into its direction.

@Blankstare: there is 11mmm left over the CPU to allow mounting this heatsink over?

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
@ Rkauer

Should be plenty of room in there for one of those all-in-one coolers. If it does clash with the keyboard, you can always file the heatsink's profile down before final fitting.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
But the Blizzard have the CPU on the underside!

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
Then run it with the trapdoor off, fit the fan and raise the miggy up on bigger rubber feet ... sheesh! :D

Top Bottom