My dad's printer.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Every time I visit my parents they have printer issues. Neither of them really used a computer until they retired and only purchased their own laptops in recent years.

My dad bought a little notebook computer and I had their printer setup on their home router as a network printer, printing perfectly from both their computers.

However I visited last year and dad had purchased himself a cheap canon all in one as he couldn't get the other printer working! The mentality of the computer illiterate.. If it doesn't work buy another one!

Anyway, to my surprise he managed to install the printer himself and get it working. But he kept saying it wasn't working properly when I spoke to him later.

I finally had time to look and discovered he had the printer installed 8 times on the computer, with a queue of print jobs waiting on the print spooler! I asked him and he said it was asking to install every time he went to print. Turns he was launching the installed each time he wanted to print something.

Cancelled that lot, deleted all the instances of the printer, rebooted, downloaded latest drivers, reinstalled.. And then printed first time.

I bet it's not working again next time I visit!

:LOL:

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
My dad had a similar issue. He prints things about twice a year, but bought an inkjet printer. He had to replace the cartidges every time he wanted to print something because they had dried out. A lowcost networked laser printer (Brother) was the solution in my case.

Bryce.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I've offered them a spare laser printer I have but they refused saying it would worry them more. Not sure why.

sir_beaker

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Alresford
Been there, my parents somehow managed to do the same with on their Apple iMac :LOL:

Before that, they'd had an old Canon or something with silver nobs on the top and that stopped working so they took it to a small local PC repair person as I couldn't be arsed, and it transpired they wanted to sell them a new printer for £100 so I ended up getting it back and all they'd done is knock one of the silver bits in to the paper feed and it worked its way round into the mechanism so I fished it out, all worked and I took some photos and reported the shop to trading standards (y) I'm nice like that.

Last edited:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Most "professional" repair people/shops don't know much more than the people asking for their help. My mum runs a charity for disabled babies and toddlers and their desktop photocopier went wrong. She took it into a local business hardware repair company whom held on to it for over a month, with phone calls chasing them. In the end I went into the shop with my mum to ask what was going on and the owner had to dig the copier out from under a pile of other stuff, so obviously hasn't even looked at it.. but gave some story about trying it out and not getting it to work properly. Ended you taking it back and looking at it myself and all that was wrong was the waste toner tank was lose.

Top Bottom