Closed My first Amiga!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mltv

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
North East, USA
I posted this at Amiga.org forums, and they suggested I post here as well.

Copied as I had it at the amiga.org forums:

Hi everyone, this is my first post, and I signed up just for this want ad. I am looking to buy my first Amiga. Just to use as a hobby, so I don't need anything maxed out nor expensive I am from the USA, so shipping would definitely be a factor if you aren't in the US.

Anyway, I am looking for something cheap, and which has enough features or expandability that it can be something I will use for awhile. Doing my research, it looks like an a1200 is my best bet. But, I am open to any - the only requirements I have are that it is cheap and working.

Feel free to PM me with what you have, your location, and price.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Hello and welcome to Amibay!

By the sounds of it, your best bet probably is an A1200. They were less-common in the US, so you might find it easier to get one shipped from Europe and acquire an A500 power supply for it in the US. If you do get a Euro model, be aware that the TV signal will be PAL, not NTSC. This is probably better for the games that are out there, but you'll need a suitable monitor to hook it up with.

Good luck with your search!

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
The great thing about the A1200 (and many other Amigas) is that they can be switched to other video standards. My A1200 is a European model that boots up as PAL but automatically switched to NTSC once workbench is loaded.

I think Nathanieltolbert's friend has some A1200s for sale but they may be expanded. How about it Nathan? :)

Heather

optiguy

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
52   0   1
Country
U.S.A.
Region
Connecticut
I have a stock A1200 for sale if you are still looking and I am in the states as well.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ mltv

Welcome to Amibay, with all of it's retro-coated goodness!!

Could you perhaps be a little more specific as to your location (city, state) so that others have more of a clue as to where you are and the possible shipping costs? Thanks.

The advice and support given on here by the members takes some beating and they can usually answer 90%+ of questions straight off the bat; the brain power available on here contributes to global warming!!

:LOL:

mltv

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
North East, USA
@ mltv

Welcome to Amibay, with all of it's retro-coated goodness!!

Could you perhaps be a little more specific as to your location (city, state) so that others have more of a clue as to where you are and the possible shipping costs? Thanks.

The advice and support given on here by the members takes some beating and they can usually answer 90%+ of questions straight off the bat; the brain power available on here contributes to global warming!!

:LOL:

lol.

I am in the northeast US(NYC metro area)>

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce
Hello and welcome to AmiBay!

Yup, what they said, the A1200 is the best choice for starters, I see people wanting to get into the magical world grab that model all the time on Allegro.
Get a Blizzy 030 later, a HD, register WHDLoad and you're in for sum PHUN TYMEZ with configuring everything! :cool:

mltv

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
North East, USA
I have a stock A1200 for sale if you are still looking and I am in the states as well.

I would have PM'd you, but I am not sure how to do so on this forum(sorry, Ive looked, and dont see a PM button). A stock a1200 would be fine, and CT is right next door. So, feel free to PM me or whatever the proper method of contact is. Thanks!

optiguy

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
52   0   1
Country
U.S.A.
Region
Connecticut
hows 175 shipped sound, its got a 4gb cf for a hd, 3.1 roms and a modded pc power supply so you'll have plenty of power if you expand it.

Nathanieltolbert

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
Yes SDG is correct. Ed does have some A1200's that he would be willing to sell. They are expanded with an 030 and I believe he said 8MB of RAM, the 030's are most likely at 40MHz. He said he wanted 300USD for one. This includes the power supply, mouse, I cannot remember the hard drive size, and the software pack that came with it, which includes 2 games and some other programs. You can see what it includes in another post from me as I just sold a set here. If you are interested, please PM me and I will see if I cannot get some pictures. They are more than likely very clean as they have been in storage for a while.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I don't agree completely with the mods, an A1200 is a nice machine for starters, it does not take much space, can be found cheap.

If you are thinking of putting an 68030 and have other options locally I would opt for an A3000-A4000. Then you'll have a real big box one. In my region an A1200 + expansion costs as much as an A3000-A4000. The A3000-4000 already has an 68030 so to me they were even cheaper !!! And then you have real space to put something in like zorro III.

So exept the bigger space I don't see any advantage in the A1200, maybe for os 4?..

I am quite sure non of the mods will take an A1200 if they could choose, or exept the ones that care for deskspace:nuts:

mltv

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
North East, USA
For any sellers whom are local, I do have some gear if you were interested in trades or trades + cash. I have NeXTs, SGIs, Suns, etc.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
For any sellers whom are local, I do have some gear if you were interested in trades or trades + cash. I have NeXTs, SGIs, Suns, etc.

It might be worth updating the "Location" field in your profile, so people can see where abouts in the US you are. America is a big place! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom