My FPU on a ACA 1233 accelerator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bundyboy123

Country
Australia
Region
Victoria
I have added an FPU to the Individual ACA 1233 accelerator.
The card works perfectly with Burst mode off with no timing fixes.
Thought someone would be interested if they are thinking about doing this.
The 33mhz FPU runs nice and cool at 40mhz. with 1.12 Mflops.
Card gets a very stable 9.20 mips @ 40mhz, more than the Blizzard 1230 @ 50mhz.

Just thought I would share the success.
IMG_1384a.jpgIMG_1385a.jpgIMG_1415a.jpg

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Nice. But I'm sure with maprom and faster memory jumper blizzard gets more than 10 mips however.

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
Saw this and just had to do mine, nice simple upgrade, I installed a socket for the crystal :)

CIMG0635.jpgCIMG0637.jpg

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Nope, pretty sure I've seen mine at 10.02 mips mate. :)

bundyboy123

Country
Australia
Region
Victoria
To get best stability you need to turn off burst mode.
Because you haven't that's why you get more MIPS.
I see a 80mhz small oscillator, is this the clock for CPU cut in half ?

Last edited:

sacredbanana

Country
Australia
Region
Perth
Does anyone have a step by step guide on how to do this? I stupidly bought an FPU without even noticing there isn't even a socket for my 1233n but there is an allocated FPU space to solder on a socket. Is this worth doing? Where do I get the socket from? What is burst mode? Thanks so much. I have some apps I can't run because they require an FPU.

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Hampshire
I think the fpu is soldered directly onto the board, unfortunately my soldering experience is poor so not considered it as I believe there is little gain unless your using specific apps (guessing maths/cad/3D)

Also interested in the question, Is this worth doing?

sacredbanana

Country
Australia
Region
Perth
Well I was wanting to run Amiblitz 2 and/or 3 which require an FPU. I have to use Blitz Basic 2.1 in the meantime

Magic

AmiBayer
Country
Edmonds Washington USA
Hello,

I just received my new ACA1233-55 from Jens online shop. I was wondering if the FPU upgrade applies to this version of accelerator as well? This is a limited production card.

Thank you,
Jeff

Drag0nFly

Country
Norway
Region
Bergen
Can't believe why a socket for an FPU wasn't added to the 1233[n] in the first place. Would have made it so much more versatile while adding little extra costs.
I also got a 68882, primarily for a cheap 1230 accelerator which has a socket (and crystal) for this already in place, but it would be so nice to be able to add one to the ACA card without having to resort
to both soldering on a socket, and a crystal, and voiding the warranty on top of it all (which I in fact did have to use, as the 030 cpu on my first card had a defect)

hardgb

Country
Brasil
Region
Ceara
I have an ACA1233n and am interested in installing an FPU. I'm thinking of soldering a PLCC socket and putting a 68882 PLCC.
Can anyone tell me if is possible this adaptation? The reason of my question is why I have not yet seen anyone adapting a PLCC socket just saw the PGA68.
Note: The reason I for wanting to use the PLCC format is simply because it is much cheaper when compared to the PGA.

Drag0nFly

Country
Norway
Region
Bergen
I'm still contemplating doing this and would also like to install a PLCC socket (and a matching crystal for my ACA1233n), in order to have some kind of fallback procedure. But it appears from the lack of info that the risk vs. perceived benefits might not be worth it.

Any thoughts?

torsti76

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Germany
Region
Baden-Wuerttemberg
I soldered a PGA socket to my 1233n 40MHz and set the solder bridge for synchronous frequency to the CPU. This way, the Oscillator isn't necessary.

However, I get the feeling that this made the card unstable indeed. Anyway, I now own a Blizzard 1260 which makes the ACA look like a toy speed-wise... ;-)

Drag0nFly

Country
Norway
Region
Bergen
Thanks for the reply, @torsti76. I had a feeling it might impact stabilty, which is not what I want on the ACA1233n (already returned one of these due to an issue with the onboard CPU or the interfacing logic on the board). Any gain in speed/compatibility with an FPU soldered on would then probably not be worth it. (It still won't run "Neonsky" by Ephidrena ;) Tried that on the Typhoon 030 card I also have (which *does* have a socket for an FPU) and it did run, albeit slowly and unstable. It literally took ~5mins just to start up. I suspect the ACA1233n will run it only slightly faster, if at all, so an 060 or a Vampire is the way to go. Alas, the 1200 version of Vampire is not yet available which leaves the 060 as the best option.

torsti76

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Germany
Region
Baden-Wuerttemberg
Alas, the 1200 version of Vampire is not yet available which leaves the 060 as the best option.

I can only underline that statement. I've acquired a Blizzard 1260 a while ago. It was in a bit of a bad shape, but after some repair by hese and myself the board runs just perfect. No timing or stability issues and the speed boost is - well - dramatic, to say the least. It also supports 256 MB of RAM and - with a Rev. 6 060 - has lots of headroom for overclocking. Mine is running cool and stable at 72 MHz and makes the ACA look like child's play...

If you are buying one just look out for bad soldering jobs and/or scratched traces. Mine had both. :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom