Not open for further replies.

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife
:pissed:

Just logged into my e-mail before bedtime to find that some twat has taken (or tried to take) $500 from my paypal account. Thankfully, paypal stopped my account after the 4th attempt, but still managed to allow 3 payments of $54 being taken from my account.

My paypal direct debit and credit card have been stopped to make sure paypal can't take my payment, however it does mean that my paypal account is arsed (at least for the time being).

I've registered the disputes with paypal and just need to wait to hear what they have to say.

Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, how helpful were paypal? More importantly, did you get all your money back?

Extremely pissed off I have to admit...

AndyC

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
Re: My paypal account has been hacked...

@AndyC

Different circumstances to you but I've recently found out that even if you win a dispute with Paypal they will still take their fees off you - the robbing barstewards :pirate:

Good luck with your claim and hope it all works out ok for you (y)

Dave G 8)

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife

Cheers mate...

In fairness, my dispute isn't with paypal, it's with the amoral, thieving, cretinous :censored: that did this in the first place.

Still, just how does a paypal account get compromised? Do they guess your password or do they somehow circumvent paypal's security?

Who knows eh...!?

AndyC

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs

@AndyC

Up until a few years ago I'd never given spyware a second thought. Now that I do a lot of my financial transactions online - even banking - I'm more carefull and run virus, trojan, spyware software etc to make sure my system is clean.

You never know nowadays :shrug:

Have you checked your system out lately?

Dave G 8)

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ AndyC

I'd pop over to the Trend Micro Housecall site and get a free online scan, just to be certain that your machine isn't compromised.

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife

I've got McAfee Security Center, plus all the trimmings, running at the moment and no threats have been found.

Having said that, I also browse on my MacBook... and there is no security running on that to my knowledge... :?

I'll do as you suggest Merlin and see what that shows up...

AndyC

Hessu

Amiga Manic
AmiBayer
Country
Raisio, Finland
Region
Varsinais-suomi

Sometimes it's enough when one has forgotten to clean up the browser history, after using a credit card or paypal or any other money transfering method, and hitting the wrong (fake) web page :(

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife

Cheers Gary...

I've run a couple of anti-virus/ spyware programs on the mac now and they haven't found anything. The PC also appears to be clean having run the Housecall check, as well as a local McAfee check and AdAware check to boot...

That leaves my work PC as the only other possible cause.

Paypal said the only way anyone could have accessed my paypal would be if they knew my password. I just can't see how that could/ should have happened.

I've never responded to a dodgy paypal phishing e-mail either so it can't be that.

I've been told however that I should get all my money back, so hopefully it'll be business as usual soon...

AndyC

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901

Mac OSX has no known viruses or trojans, same with all up-to date linux kernels and BeOS deriatives

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife

@DC270MHz...

The first trojan to appear on MacOSX was discovered in November 2007. Since then there have been about 80 additional threats discovered.

I've been doing some reading!

As it happens, I ran ClamAV on my Mac and, lo and behold, it found a trojan. Now I just need to figure out how to remove the damn thing properly...

AndyC

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands

Hi Andy

Sorry to hear about your paypal account, hopefully they will re-emburse you soon.

Here are a few ways off the top of my head that your account could get compromised and a general wake up call to anyone reading this that it could happen to them.

1. Password too easy to guess, never use a generic password; have different ones for different accounts.

2. Spoof Email(phishing) - always use your browser favorite or type in the address to go to the site, never a link from an Email (get an email address for bank/paypal use only can help too)

3. Local Hacker - Wireless access to your PC by a hacker within range could do many things,
  • search for passwords in cache or a password list saved in my docs (always clear cach - try ccleaner to do that)
    sniff the wireless transmition for info
    install remote acccess software to watch the screen as you use it (vnc etc)
    install key logger to report back keystrokes you have typed

4. Internet Hacker - can do similar to local hacker using flaws in programs and badly set up Firewall

5. spyware/Virus etc - can install keyloggers etc again, always have a virus checker no-matter what OS you use (better safe than sorry) and malwarebytes is good for clearing none virus stuff too.

6. work network - administrators can very often see exactly what you are doing, they are effectively Legitimate Hackers, so can you trust your admin?

7. Family/friend/pc repair man - It is always a possibility!

Not a definative list, just guidance and hints.

For those that think they are safe have a look at the gif below, a simple windows 98 vunerability, but how many XP/Vista one are out there that have no fixes yet? and do you update windows regularly??

Gary

Attachments

• win98.gif
    win98.gif
    138.1 KB · Views: 0

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

ATM there is a java virus that attacks the deserialization routines in the Apple Sun Java VM time zoneinfo object. It was patched the other day, but it's been open for more than six months.

See more info here

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire

By far and away the most common attack vector for OSX is compromised downloads from unknown/unreliable sources - there's known trojans in common torrent distributions of iWork, iLife, Adobe suite, ...

What did clamxav find?

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

AndyC said:
I've got McAfee Security Center
No wonder you're having problems ;)
You have a virus ...... it's called 'McAfee'

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Just to endorse woodycool above, McAfee Security Centre is far from the best solution out there.

Kin

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

The following programs are just commercial brands of virus:
  • McAfee[/*:m:3fwm3kvd]
  • Norton[/*:m:3fwm3kvd]
  • Kapersky[/*:m:3fwm3kvd]
  • Trend Micros PC-Cillin[/*:m:3fwm3kvd]
  • Bulldog[/*:m:3fwm3kvd]
  • Windows Live OneCare[/*:m:3fwm3kvd]
... they are not what I'd consider to be Anti Virus solutions.
They are a menace to society!

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

@woodycool

I would agree with most of those; especially the home versions. I've stayed with Norton Anti-Virus corporate for our company because it is not nearly as bulky as many of the other options available. Home versions of Norton are horrible bloated pieces of junk. :)

I guess this is sort of :eek:fftopic:

:D

Heather

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

I'm still using Avast, better freeware AV around, although it needs a separate spyware remover/detector, like Spybot.

OK, still :eek:fftopic: :wink:

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

SkydivinGirl said:
@woodycool

I would agree with most of those; especially the home versions. I've stayed with Norton Anti-Virus corporate for our company because it is not nearly as bulky as many of the other options available. Home versions of Norton are horrible bloated pieces of junk. :)

I guess this is sort of :eek:fftopic:

:D

Heather
Still :eek:fftopic:

I agree with you Heather, Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate is superb! Far less bloated than Norton 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom