Elerion

8bitoholic
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Croatia
Region
Zagreb
There is something i wanted to make for years.
A project that's both glorification of Commodore legacy in high tech way, and a usefull gadget for home or office (maybe even a car).

I will not reveal what it is (until it becomes obvious), but I'm sure you will find this thread both interesting and surprising.

I'll document every step of the way to a final product, taking sugestions and improvement ideas from you along the way. :D

I'm starting with two prototype boards and a...
...piece of wood?!?

Attachments

• DSC_0476.jpg
    DSC_0476.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 28

portarinos

AmiJunkie
AmiBayer
Country
Hellas
Region
Volos
Hmmmmm.......I wonder what it is! Let's see........mystery amiga modder :D

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
A novel way to start a thread. :)

You have my attention.......

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@Elerion: that's not just any kinda wood, it's balsa. So, any chance of a modelling project, or a replica of some uber-rare Amigoid/Commodorian device?? :)

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
It's not another home-made walker project is it?

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@rojaws: naahh, i doubt it.. Unless there's more balsa where that came from, and some bigger-footprint electronics to go with it. And a lot of extra generic hardware items. Which reminds me there's stuff to be done.. :whistle:

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
@Elerion: that's not just any kinda wood, it's balsa. So, any chance of a modelling project, or a replica of some uber-rare Amigoid/Commodorian device?? :)
(y) Yes!

I feel enlightened already! (Actually I'm still completely in the dark over this) looking forward to see what comes out the end! :)

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
It's fine as it is. Just add varnish and hang it in the Tate museum!

...somebody would buy it I'm sure. :)

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@Elerion: are the two boards for the same construction, or are you building this x 2?

Elerion

8bitoholic
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Croatia
Region
Zagreb
@Elerion: are the two boards for the same construction, or are you building this x 2?

It's actually two different devices that function together.

I haven't decided on the size of the device(s). I would like to make them as small, and as light as possible.

If I go with 1:3 of the original size I'll probably have to make custom boards.
If I go with 1:2.5 of the original size, these test boards will do just fine.
If I go with 1:2, I'll need bigger boards.

Decision will probably be based on size of parts I recently ordered from China. The dealer didn’t know their measurements. Or didn't understand what the hell I was talking about. But: "If they not work, we send another with no extra charger." :rofl3

Since I don't need charger at all, we agreed on a deal; even though I have no idea what will I receive. :)

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Haaaaaahaaaaa, you could always accept the "charger" and offer it over at the recycle area! :LOL:
I'm beginning to think this is some form of external A500 or A1000 expansion device....

Elerion

8bitoholic
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Croatia
Region
Zagreb
After mentally sorting out problems I may encounter along the way (yes it did hurt), I decided to do this the proper way.

- Strict 1:3 size ratio of the model. (Chinese parts I ordered will create a problem that I cannot solve, so I went with another solution.)
- Thermoplastic (ABS) instead of balsa will be used. (Balsa is too fragile and too soft, and I don't want this to be "look but don't touch" thing. It must be "feel free to take it and play with it" thing.)
- Custom boards instead of prototype ones. (It will be quite cramped inside the model.)

So please ignore the picture on the first post, until I take new ones. :)

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@Elerion: Would really love to know how you work the ABS! :)

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@Elerion: Awesome stuff mate, my understanding is that you're thinking of making a miniature replica of the 1080 as well, right? Since that's my main Amiga-monitor, let me know if you want measurements! BTW, i highly doubt there's been a PAL 1080, but than again i may be wrong... (y)

Elerion

8bitoholic
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Croatia
Region
Zagreb
@Elerion: Awesome stuff mate, my understanding is that you're thinking of making a miniature replica of the 1080 as well, right? Since that's my main Amiga-monitor, let me know if you want measurements! BTW, i highly doubt there's been a PAL 1080, but than again i may be wrong... (y)

You made me check my retro storage! :) You are right. I'll do the 1084, as I have a few of these. (Why did I think they were 1080's? :blink:)

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
lol, cool stuff nevertheless! (y) can't wait to see action! :D

Top Bottom