Neat PCB - CF to IDE adapters?

ad-rs1600i

AmiBayer
Country
Britain
Region
Northamptonshire
Hi everyone,

I would really like one of the very neat PCB - CF to IDE adapters and was just wondering how I can get one of these?

Also what 4 gig solid state memory brand would everyone recommend to use as a hard isk for the Amiga?

As always, many thanks in advanced,

Adrian

PS - it is for a really good cause as I have just brought a copy of Beneath a Steal Sky which will be ace running from a hard disk!!!!! (y):D

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
like this (ebay bin) 290416959152 ?

Compact Flash to IDE ATA Converter Adapter CF to 40 pin (3.5 inch)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
You can search on Deal Extreme (Chinese site) for the adaptor.

For internal CF as IDE the better results are achieved using Kingston & Sandisk units. Kingston units don't work reliably on the PCMCIA port.

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
If you do a search on ebay, you will find many different kinds from .99 Cents US and Up. My personal favorite is the ones with a FEmale connection 90 degrees on the bottom, With these, they plug directly on the motherboard and NO cable is needed, eliminating the rats nest that can build up inside. Ebay (BIN) 110596335759 shows one of these, but be careful, I had to search for a while for one that DID NOT have a power cable attachment, as I wanted the least amount of wires inside as possible, My first batch, I ordered a dozen, and they work fantastic in both a A600, and A1200, but you have to "poke" out a hole for the middle pin before you use it, as they are "Keyed" for modern IDE cables that don't have the middle pin.

I am not sure why anyone would want a "Cabled" one, unless they plan to re locate the CF drive somewhere else in the case, or a power cable attachment, but that is only what people sell these days for "Amiga"(you can see a few sellers on ebay selling "amiga kits" with CF and adaptor trying to cash in on the greed.

ad-rs1600i

AmiBayer
Country
Britain
Region
Northamptonshire
Thanks for the replies :)

This was a really neat physical PCB board from the IDE port moving off at a right angle to sit over the PCMCIA port - rather than use a cable between the compact flash adapter and the IDE port.

I saw one mounted within an Amiga A600 - it looked really neat and tidy :)(y)

ad-rs1600i

AmiBayer
Country
Britain
Region
Northamptonshire
If you do a search on ebay, you will find many different kinds from .99 Cents US and Up. My personal favorite is the ones with a FEmale connection 90 degrees on the bottom, With these, they plug directly on the motherboard and NO cable is needed, eliminating the rats nest that can build up inside. Ebay (BIN) 110596335759 shows one of these, but be careful, I had to search for a while for one that DID NOT have a power cable attachment, as I wanted the least amount of wires inside as possible, My first batch, I ordered a dozen, and they work fantastic in both a A600, and A1200, but you have to "poke" out a hole for the middle pin before you use it, as they are "Keyed" for modern IDE cables that don't have the middle pin.

I am not sure why anyone would want a "Cabled" one, unless they plan to re locate the CF drive somewhere else in the case, or a power cable attachment, but that is only what people sell these days for "Amiga"(you can see a few sellers on ebay selling "amiga kits" with CF and adaptor trying to cash in on the greed.

Thanks for your post - I missed it as I think I was replying to the other posts at that time.. Thanks!

The example you show is exactly the idea, but the one I saw looked specifically designed for the Amiga as the card interface finished really nicely sitting on top of the PCMCIA slot - I think it must have been designed specifically for the Amiga :) - the SD card finishes sitting vertical in the Amiga case with the card exiting towards the base (away from ports on the back).

I might have been dreaming it maybe....:oops::Doh:

Thanks again everyone (y)

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
the one you are referring too, was made by a member here IIRC. Do a search for CF card adapters. Now, it also could have been on A.org, but I really think it was here that it was sold and shown, not e-bay.

Just a bit of advice on the actual CF card. I tried to be cheap and ended up buying a few CF cards that did NOT work as a HD on the Amiga. To save a lot of time and grief, hair and frustration. I recommend getting a CF hard drive from Matt and the Gang at AmigaKit. They come pre-formated with a pre-install program and a few other goodies, making the installation of the CF hard drive a breeze and yes a joy. I am not sure if they will sell "Just" the pre-formated CF card or if you HAVE to get the cables and the CF Adapter, but even if you don't use the "Kit" the CF card is worth every penny. When I got mine, it came with a cable a mile long and there was no way possible with out oragamy and zip ties to get it into an A600, thats when I found those adapters on Ebay. Honestly, If I could afford it, I would buy 10 more, just to have spares and different HD set-ups.

Last edited:

ad-rs1600i

AmiBayer
Country
Britain
Region
Northamptonshire
the one you are referring too, was made by a member here IIRC. Do a search for CF card adapters. Now, it also could have been on A.org, but I really think it was here that it was sold and shown, not e-bay.

Just a bit of advice on the actual CF card. I tried to be cheap and ended up buying a few CF cards that did NOT work as a HD on the Amiga. To save a lot of time and grief, hair and frustration. I recommend getting a CF hard drive from Matt and the Gang at AmigaKit. They come pre-formated with a pre-install program and a few other goodies, making the installation of the CF hard drive a breeze and yes a joy. I am not sure if they will sell "Just" the pre-formated CF card or if you HAVE to get the cables and the CF Adapter, but even if you don't use the "Kit" the CF card is worth every penny. When I got mine, it came with a cable a mile long and there was no way possible with out oragamy and zip ties to get it into an A600, thats when I found those adapters on Ebay. Honestly, If I could afford it, I would buy 10 more, just to have spares and different HD set-ups.

I think that is the way to go actually as I am very green with Amiga equipment, least I will know it should work if I buy it from AmigaKit. I cannot afford to loose the hair to be honest!! I like you hate the rats nest of cables and really like the solution using a hard PCB as a 'cable run'

I guess later on I can add the nice adapter when I discover who makes it :)

Top Bottom