Need a NEW phone - Any advice (Part 3!)

CU_AMiGA

Country
Exeter, Devon, UK
Yo!

So yeah a couple of years ago i asked advice on getting a new phone as seen in this thread:

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?48016-Need-ANOTHER-Phone-Again!-Any-advice

Well i ended up getting a Huawei Ascend Y300 which was an excellent recommendation (props to Tajmaster for that!), as it has served me very well over the last couple of years. But alas the time has now come for me to buy a replacement phone as the Huawei has now become retard and worst of all the headphone jack is busted so i can no longer listen to my music! :mad:

So i am on the lookout for either the same again, ie a budget smart phone, or an android smartphone with a keyboard and decent performance.

Thanks for your time! :D

BLTCON0

Math inside
AmiBayer
Country
Hellas (Greece)
Region
Chania, Crete
What do you even need an Android phone for?

I'd get an excellent "standard phone" for the same "budget money" (which isn't "budget" in the standard-phone world) which will outlast any smartphone out there, budget or not :) and if for some reason you must have the Android experience, get a cheap 7" tablet as well, it makes much more sense there than on these who-knows-why-they-exist 4"-5" things, too big to be proper phones and too small to be proper tablets. But just about right to be proper nuisances ;-)

The truth is noone needs a multitude of apps. It's just fashion and trend. You don't have enough lifetimes to use them all, anyway :)
So if someone does use a multitude of apps, they practically don't use them - rather they 'demo' them toying around and then move to toy around with the next app. How great.
And on the other end, if someone consistently uses an app for whatever it does, chances are there's a better way to do the same thing. I seriously, seriously doubt that smartphone apps can address fundamental human needs that haven't already been fully addressed otherwise. And noone needs an app to know if they're out of shape of if they have erratic sleep. And the horoscopes can still be found in the paper!

I know my "advice" sounds strange and that you're probably settled for an Android phone, but here's my suggestion anyway: Get something like this, if you can still find it. It does 5 things, does them well and it feels just the right amount of smart and the right amount of phone (yep, got one a few days ago and now I can't believe I was even contemplating an Android budget phone).

Happy buying either way :)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Avoid budget brand/manufacturers. As you have discovered with your current phone, they seem great to begin with but use cheap components which break or fail. In addition a lot of people using cheaper phones and tablets have noted that they seem to get more unstable as they age. Get slower or locking up and crashing.

In contrast the higher end makers such as Sony and Samsung have much less issues and are far better built. It is a false economy to buy budget phones and tablets, especially as you can get bargain products from the higher quality manufacturers.

As an example I've still got an original Samsung Galaxy S1 and it still works fine. Great as a backup phone. I also have a Sony Xperia Play, which is getting old and only runs Android 2.3, but it still works perfectly. Contrast this to any low end made phone or tablet and I bet not many over 3 years old is still working well.

The high end new models are always silly money, such as the Samsung S6, but look at their older models once a new one is released and you will seem their prices heavily reduced. Something like an S3 is still really good, and now much cheaper. Ever the S5's are dropping in price now.

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
What is your budget?

ej2095

Country
UK
Region
Tipton, West Midlands
lg g3 is nice :-0 (Mine has a boing ball case)

Snoozy

Only Amiga makes it possible
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I would think of LG as a budget manufacturer and an "also ran" in the phone stakes.

I would go for an Iphone but that's just as I don't like android, horses for courses.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
That's the other end of the scale though Snoozy. Fair enough for those whom like iOS and are invested into the whole Apple product range. But for anyone starting out Apple products, although very well designed and made, are a complete rip off as they still use the same internal hardware components.

Plus I think since Android 4.4 it has completely overtaken iOS, which is now looking very old and dated and quite clunky to use.

Regarding bargains, you just need to look around. As an example I needed a new tablet at the end of last year. The new Samsung Galaxy S has just come out and I really wanted one, but the price was over £400. Then I noticed the Samsung Galaxy TabPro 10.1, which looks identical. One comparing the specs they even had the same CPU and GPU. Only differences with slightly less ram and the last generation display, although both were identical very high resolution. Price of the TabPro? £200. Near identical product from the same maker for half the price.

Similar bargains can be found for phones, but we would need an exact budget to really give any direct recommendations.

Regarding LG, I always considered them a middle range brand, better than the budget rubbish in tesco, but not of the quality of Samsung and the like. However my main phone at the moment is a Google Nexus 4, which is made my LG, and this is a really nice device.

In fact if you can find a Google Nexus 4 or 5 for under £200 buy one of these as they are really nice phones. Fast, and directly supported my Google so you get all the latest OS versions before anyone else.

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
I have an LG G4 (upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy S4, didnt go S6 due to lack of an SD slot). The LG is a fantastic phone and the most customisable Ive ever seen. So I can move the back button to the right hand side where it should be(rather than it being on the left with every Android phone other than Samsungs), and customise the god awful icons amongst other things.

However! While its a great phone I wouldnt recommend it if battery life bothers you, because its poor! I barely get a day out of mine.

For a budget phone, have a look at these:

Samsung Galaxy S4 mini
Motorola Moto G
Samsung Galaxy Core Prime
Samsung Galaxy A3
LG G4c (not the same as my G4, this is the mid range model)

User2921

Deactivated
Deactivated
+1 for an iPhone. After having owned both platform based phones (most recently an iPhone 5s and a Samsung galaxy s5) I can't wait to get rid of this Samsung. The extra money you dump into an apple product, in my experience and personal opinion, goes a long way into funding the cohesive apple iOS ecosystem and more properly functioning operating system and software components.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

CU_AMiGA

Country
Exeter, Devon, UK
Thanks for the replies guys! :D Well initially i was looking at around £100 for budget, but i will see. To be honest i would keep my current phone if it wasn't for the headphone jack being bust. But with that, plus its slowing down i may as well just get a new phone. Not interested in a tablet, don't see the point in them! I have a laptop for that stuff which in my opinion does all that and more. I'm looking for an all in one device type smartphone that i can use for multiple things: phone, music, web browsing, etc

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention, i am staying clear of Sony Ericsson phones as i have had enough of them!

@Tajmaster, many thanks for the list! I will take a look at that! :D

ej2095

Country
UK
Region
Tipton, West Midlands
as mentioned above the moto g is nice my daughter had one (Before she dropped it in the road and a bus ran over it)

Dont for get (Tell me off for mentioning another forum) but google for XDA devs and you can custom rom it etc etc (Done many times on various phones)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Yes, pay as you go phones are not restricted to the sim being used, but THREE to lock their phones to their network, so you only use a PAYG sim from THREE in a THREE branded phone. I use these and think THREE are the best PAYG company. You get a lot for your money, especially as you use £5 of a £10 monthly topup to buy a 2GB month data.

My wife is on contract with THREE, so I get the phones each time she upgrades. She has an S5 at the moment, and I've a Nexus 4. So when she upgrades again in October I will get the S5. :)

CU_AMiGA

Country
Exeter, Devon, UK
hhhmm looks like none of them phones are locked to three so i'll have to buy the handset only ones. Ok it looks like i may purchase this one:

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mo...O_G_DUAL_SIM_2ND_GEN/HANDSET?colourCode=BLACK

The Motorola Moto G 4G (2nd Gen). For some strange reason the dual SIM model seems to be cheaper than the single SIM one(?)

I was also looking at this one:

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/HUAWEI_ASCEND_G620S/HANDSET?colourCode=BLACK

Huawei Ascend G620S. Any good?

Last edited:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
The Motorola mobile does look a bargain, but it does have some limitations. It states it's running Android 4.4, which is now out of date. You need to double check it is still being supported and will receive Android 5 update soon, otherwise you run the danger if limited to no support and being left behind with new app releases.

Camera is OK at 8MP but can only record video at 720P. Depends if you will be using it for video or not.

Screen size at 5" is good, but it has a low resolution by new standards. It's the same resolution as an original iPad to give you an idea. More recent phones have resolutions more like 2560x1600.

It says it isn't 4G compatible so you will be stuck on the older slower 3G network, which isn't so good when you consider THREE provide 4G free.

Finally other specs. It only has 1GB ram which might struggle these days. You really need 2GB. And whilst it has a quad core CPU it's only clocked at 1.2GHz which will mean it slows down in some applications.

CU_AMiGA

Country
Exeter, Devon, UK
Duh! I just noticed that the dual SIM one lacked 4G! ;) So this is the one i should have mentioned instead:

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/moto-g-4g-2nd-gen/handset?colourCode=MULTI

How about the Motorola Moto E 4G and the Huawei Ascend G620S?

- - - Updated - - -

HHHMMM On further inspection, i guess that the most of the criticism concerning the dual SIM Motorola can also go for the Huawei as they both share the same OS?

Last edited:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
That is the problem with cheaper phones though. To make them this cheap they have to base them on older hardware and because of this they end up using the last version of the OS to keep to working faster.

If you really like a phone just double check it will get the Android 5 upgrade to ensure it remains supported for the life of the phone. So many seem to be stuck on 4.4 now without an upgrade coming. It isn't a huge issue though because 4.4 is a very nice OS and is very slick and fast to use. It just won't be so good in 1-2 years time if you are stuck on it.

CU_AMiGA

Country
Exeter, Devon, UK
Yeah thats right Harrison. If you get a cheaper phone you have to expect performance hits somewhere so it's about looking for the right mix. But looks like i will get this phone:

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/MOTO_E/HANDSET?colourCode=BLACK

Seems to be the best "bang for buck" phone. Has 4G, Android 5, etc

- - - Updated - - -

hhhmmmm after having a hunt around on the webs i came across this:

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/pay-as-you-go/vodafone-smart-6-ultra-payg/sku86605-grey

Apparently this seems to be the best bang for buck phone with good performance. Maybe i can purchase and get an unlock code for this from ebay! :D

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
As it is a Vodafone branded phone it's going to be locked into their network and you would need to find out what phone it is actually based on for any hope to unlock it.

Another option is to import from China or other country. A Chinese friend of mine just purchased a Lenovo K3 note smartphone directly from China for about £140. Strangely Lenovo don't sell any of their smartphones in the UK directly, which is odd considering how good their laptops are (originally IBM). You would just need to remember that as the phone is directly from the Chinese factory the manuals are in Chinese and there are some Chinese apps preinstalled. However my friend, even though he is Chinese he prefers the phone to be in English as he works in Stocks and Shares, managed to root his and install UK vanilla Android 5 on to it, so that is an option.

Top Bottom