Need advice

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I sent this PM to a friend today whom opinions I value greatly.

Hi,

I am considering to sell two of my A4000 machines.

But I´m not sure if I want to keep the desktop with GRex, or the Tower with Mediator.

Each has it´s strong points, the Mediator can do more Zorro cards, while - well the GRex is a GRex.

It´s not so much about the money as it´s about the space. Which in turns speaks in favour of the GRex. But it´s very cramped inside.

I also like the Radeon9250 on the Mediator, it´s way sweeter than the Voodoo3 3000 which gets silly hot inside the Desktop A4000.

Cards I need to have room for at a minimum is PCI Gfx, Deneb and zorRAM.

Cards which are nice to have are audio, network and misc. :)

But the Deneb can provide both audio and network, so having PCI or Zorro for that isn´t a must, how ever I expect it to be much faster, especially under the GRex.

You know for the most part what I have, what would you recommend me to keep?

Kind regards,
Arnljot

Currently these are my three A4000s

1)
A4000cr in PowerTower with Mediator
Radeon9250
PCI Audio
PCI Network
SCSI disk, CD-Rom
CyberStorm PPC 233 with 060
IndivisionAGA 4000

2)
A4000 Desktop
CyberStorm PPC 180 with 060
CompactFlash as HD
GRex Bus board
Voodoo3 3000
PCI Network
PCI Sound

3)
A4000 Desktop
Cyberstorm MK-ii with 060
PicassoIV
XSurf
Prelude sound card

Other parts I have for Zorro
Deneb
Buddah Flash
PicassoIV
CyberVisionPPC
Commodore A2065 network card
CatweaselMKii S-class (zorro)
Various PC bridge boards (not working, going to another amibay friend)
GoldenGate 386

It´s all giving me claustrophobia here now in my small flat. I also have a zorRAM on it´s way.

Using these parts, what would you build, and what would you get rid of?

mfilos

Extr3m3ly l33t
Country
Greece
Region
Glyfada/Athens
You can't imagine how much I can understand you my friend :(
I had the same issue concerning space... when I send my beloved A4000D go away.

When it comes to Tower or Desktop there is definitely not a single issue on my behalf. DESKTOP all the way!
When it comes to choices now... I'll need to think about it @ home seeing you got a serious A4000D configs...

Will report back soon my friend.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
I sent this PM to a friend today whom opinions I value greatly.

Hi,

I am considering to sell two of my A4000 machines.

But I´m not sure if I want to keep the desktop with GRex, or the Tower with Mediator.

Each has it´s strong points, the Mediator can do more Zorro cards, while - well the GRex is a GRex.

It´s not so much about the money as it´s about the space. Which in turns speaks in favour of the GRex. But it´s very cramped inside.

I also like the Radeon9250 on the Mediator, it´s way sweeter than the Voodoo3 3000 which gets silly hot inside the Desktop A4000.

Cards I need to have room for at a minimum is PCI Gfx, Deneb and zorRAM.

Cards which are nice to have are audio, network and misc. :)

But the Deneb can provide both audio and network, so having PCI or Zorro for that isn´t a must, how ever I expect it to be much faster, especially under the GRex.

You know for the most part what I have, what would you recommend me to keep?

Kind regards,
Arnljot
Currently these are my three A4000s

1)
A4000cr in PowerTower with Mediator
Radeon9250
PCI Audio
PCI Network
SCSI disk, CD-Rom
CyberStorm PPC 233 with 060
IndivisionAGA 4000

2)
A4000 Desktop
CyberStorm PPC 180 with 060
CompactFlash as HD
GRex Bus board
Voodoo3 3000
PCI Network
PCI Sound

3)
A4000 Desktop
Cyberstorm MK-ii with 060
PicassoIV
XSurf
Prelude sound card

Other parts I have for Zorro
Deneb
Buddah Flash
PicassoIV
CyberVisionPPC
Commodore A2065 network card
CatweaselMKii S-class (zorro)
Various PC bridge boards (not working, going to another amibay friend)
GoldenGate 386

It´s all giving me claustrophobia here now in my small flat. I also have a zorRAM on it´s way.

Using these parts, what would you build, and what would you get rid of?

keep the Grex system and gift me a motherboard and cpu card, that will help you free up a little space:D

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
If i were you i'd keep 'em all, but that's me :D Since you MUST sell something, i'd sell one of the desktops without a busboard (Grex or Mediator) and keep them for future use (you never know what might go wrong). If you still have to part with two machines, then sell the tower also. Keep every possible expansion to yourself. Since the tower isn't an original AT or Escom but third-party one, it's not that bad to part with it.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Thanks guys, I have also two A1200s which I´m keeping, one for me and one for my mom.

I´ve got two A500s, not sure what to do about them. They´re "nice to have" but I rarely every power them up.

Zetr0 got my minimig, I´m keeping that one. And I have an Efika too.

I´m thinking of "spring cleaning" in preparations of a Sam in the fall or an A1X1K in the summer.

With my three laptops, two desktop "Wintelboxes" on 72square meters... Well, something has to be done. :-(

Worst part? It´s not my girlfriends idea, it´s all mine and she doesn´t know yet. Neither will she know until a new machine is in the house, or she´ll want to spend the money on vacation plans or curtains or who knows what :) A lamp above the dining room table is what I suspect...

---------- Post added at 15:09 ---------- Previous post was at 15:05 ----------

If i were you i'd keep 'em all, but that's me :D Since you MUST sell something

Thanks.

I only really need the space. And the most space consuming stuff I have is the boxes of software which I have. That´s three huge boxes with overspill which can be "emptied".

Selling the tower would help as it would leave some room in the guest room where it takes up floor space.

Thinking of it, selling the boxed A500s would also help as they take up quite a bit of closet space in my bedroom.

The A4000 Desktops don´t take up near as much room as the other stuff.

Then there is the boxes of joysticks and "misc".

Thinking of it I´ll certainly start with the "misc" boxes as it´s easiest and will win me some space first.

bazzaq

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
:D I too have a similar problem.. to sell or not to sell.. got 2 4000 towers.

It's hard to grumble when you have all the nice goodies that most others would really want.

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
I don't really have a recommendation. But I have to ask, how long did it take you to acquire all of those cards? I guess if I was in your shoes, I would look to keep the power tower and the G-Rex, just based on the rarity of the G-Rex. The powertower I would keep, just for the expandibility it has. That leaves your last A4000D with the zorro cards in it. If you don't use the A500's I would say sell them, you can get a couple pounds out of them, right? On some of those cards, if you aren't going to use them, you could sell them.

But this is all conjecture, as you will have to be the one to decide what you are going to do with your A4000's. We can offer suggestions, but truly you have to decide. If I was in your place, I would just get a larger house.:) (This coming from the man struggling to pay his car payment because he's been out of work for 3 months as a guinea pig for the doctors :p)

mfilos

Extr3m3ly l33t
Country
Greece
Region
Glyfada/Athens
Ok returning to the post...
If something's gotta go imo that would be the tower.
If you can keep 2 A4000D... I'd go with the following config:

1)
A4000D:
CSPPC 060/233
Grex Busboard
PCI: Voodoo3 3000
PCI: Network
PCI: Sound
Zorro: ZoRAM
Zorro: Deneb
IndivisionAGA 4000

2)
A4000D:
CSPPC 060/180
Zorro Busboard
PicassoIV
Prelude sound card
XSurf
(If you can put ribbon for ISA's to hack them bit further since in line with the full sized Zorro's...
GoldenGate 386 + ISA VGA/Sound)

If you need to part with 2 then I would have definitely kept the 1st option. (That ofc if you want the BEST specced OS3.9 and you don't care at all for OS4.0)

You remind me so much of my friend Keropi some time ago :) Deja Vu!

Top Bottom