Need help installing 3.0 on my miggy

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
OK, I messed up my install of AOS 3.0, so now I have my CF drive in a CF reader on my laptop in WInUAE trying to reinstall it. I am using 3.1 WB in WINUAE and I have the WB 3.0 adf mounted and the install adf mounted. Now all i need is some steps on how to install it onto my CF (just formatted with FFS for the time being.)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Re: Need help installing 3.0 on my miggy

Mounting the CF card in WinUAE

you may need to boot WinUAE via DOS/CMD to remove the Hard Drive safety check to do this follow these steps

WinUAE: Disabling the HD saftey check

• On the PC, click <START> then <RUN> and type "CMD"

you will be prompted to a DOS prompt

type the following

cd "c:\program files\winuae\"

or if you have installed WinUAE else where please type the navigation ofthat directory and press RETURN

type the following

c:

pres RETURN, your location will now read

c:\program files\winuae

now type the following -

winuae -disableharddrivesafetycheck

press RETURN and WinUAE will load without the HD Safety mode *please show caution when selecting a disk in the Hardrives menu. please note that SOME USB CF adapters are not avilable to be used in this manner, I would suggest either an IDE interface or PCMCIA interface for best results

now as you mount the CF card in WinUAE name the device something like (DH0 or HD0)

Once you have selected the drive in question then boot using a default setup (set floppy speed to TURBO)

Seting up the device as a Harddisk - using HDToolsBox

• 1. boot WB Install Disk

2. goto tools directory and highlight HDToolsBox (dont double click)
    3. right mouse menu -> icon -> information
    4. Change "scsi.device" to "uaehf.device"
    5. Press Return & Save
    6. Double click the HDToolsBox Program.

*Note

HDToolsBox will check LUN addresses untill it finds the device on the chain (emulated chain that is)
    you will need to edit and or partion the device as you need once the program has found it

This bit can get complicated BUT stick with me.

select the CF device in the HDTools Window and then <<Define new>> with luck HDtools can read your card properly and set the size correctly if not, then you will have to do this manually, or download HDInstalTools from AmiNet =)

In the Partion setup there is an option to make a Partion device "Bootable" select this for the first partion you do. also you need to go into the Change menu.

optimiserdisquedur_hdtoolbox.jpg

Select Change from the option menu and in this NEW menu CHANGE the "MAXTRANSFERS" value to the following "0x1feFFFFF", this should improve stability with the CF card and the Amiga OS

remember to press RETURN after EACH edit and then select OK or exit..

Now Save Changes and reboot.... this time depending on if you want to install quickly (put in a workbench disk) or full (put in an Install Disk)

Installing the Amiga OS

Installing Workbench

• Once the CF (Hardrive) card has been preped by HDToolsBox, you are likely to have to reboot the Amiga inside WinUAE.

you can boot with either a workbench disk or install disk, pending on if you want a quick or full install. for a quick install boot with a workbench disk.

After booting it will present 1 or more volumes names "NDOS:#!"£"!" or somthing like that.

Format the volumes/partions and give one of them the name WORK or System (or AmigaOS *anything BUT workbench*)

The Quick Method
    [list:2vvpwjqw]
    as you have booted with a Worbench disk, you can then drag the workbench disk ICON over to your primare partition, allow it to copy the files to the disk...

remove the workbench disk and reboot...
    job done

The Full Method

• As you have booted with the Install disk it is a matter of just double clicking the install feature on your chosen language and following the onscreen prompts to change disk (do this by pressing F12)
    once complete remove all disks and reboot
[/list:u:2vvpwjqw]

So there you have it... take the CF card out and put it on the amiga to boot, all should be good =D

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham

@Z,

why not call your partition workbench?

RedDaemonFox

AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901

Ok, thank you big Z, I'll continue with my insane ideas as a reward!! :nuts:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

scrappysphinx said:
@Z,

why not call your partition workbench?

well two reasons really

1. its a n00bish thing to do =D
2. volume name confusion*

*I have had issues when copying things from DF1 or other device when there is DF0:workbench to DH0:workbench, It comes down to how it looks for files, and if they look directly by using the volume name instrad of device name. This happens rarely, and only when you have the Workbench disk in.

Its one of those rare things I encountered wayyyyyy back when and ever since then I assumed a different method of installing =D

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

That is one mighty fine Tute there Z, may I suggest a sticky?

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

@r0jaws

LOL thats from memory, I will make a sticky i think in the orical section but with more pics and actually write it as I perform the actions =D

RedDaemonFox

AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901

Nevermind, fixed it, thanks big Z :yourock: ! Just for reference I used the Targus 1958 for my Cf microdrive, seagate model

Top Bottom