genny_flick

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Italy
Region
Bari, Apulia
Hi, I have buy this m/b from this thread:

Unfortunately it doesn't work, before kickstart appear it go into a reset loop, I suppose as power led blink. Sometimes it don't go into this loop but kickstart never appear.

I have swapped RAM, ROMs and CRYSTALs from my working A4000 m/b but without fortune. If I remove CHIP RAM SIMM, screen go green.

I have used jumper setting from working m/b and I have tried other config but never change.

Unfortunately I don't have DIAG ROM so I need service.

Regards,

Rino

Boing-ball

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
Hi, I have buy this m/b from this thread:

Unfortunately it doesn't work, before kickstart appear it go into a reset loop, I suppose as power led blink. Sometimes it don't go into this loop but kickstart never appear.

I have swapped RAM, ROMs and CRYSTALs from my working A4000 m/b but without fortune. If I remove CHIP RAM SIMM, screen go green.

I have used jumper setting from working m/b and I have tried other config but never change.

Unfortunately I don't have DIAG ROM so I need service.

Regards,

Rino
Considering you have just bought this. What has the seller said?
you are using known working components such as CPU card? Have you checked the timing chip is seated correctly? The one that usually sits underneath the CPU car£ on the mainboard?

Boing-ball

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
London

Just seen the video. This looks very familiar to a problem I had with an ACILL board. You have set the INT/EXT jumpers correctly for the 040 board? The seller mentions testing the board with 060 CPU boards. Unfortunately with the ACILL recreated boards, the silkscreen has missing writing on them to indicate jumper settings. I believe the 040 should have the jumpers set to INT. Also check that the CPU board is sitting in the CPU slot on the mainboard properly. I saw 7 quick random flashing lights on the power LED = CPU issue. You haven’t mentioned if the Timing chip has been checked? Normally socketed and could have popped out during transit.

Last edited:

genny_flick

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Italy
Region
Bari, Apulia
do you mean Ricoh RP5C01? However, I'm not new to Amiga and electronics in general so I'm doing all the necessary checks.

Last edited:

Joolz

Country
Germany
Region
Bavaria
What voltage does your multimeter read on the 5V rail somewhere on the 3640 and the motherboard?

Edit: oh, and for the 3640 jumpers need to be set to EXT to take the clocks from the delay line on the processor board.

genny_flick

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Italy
Region
Bari, Apulia
The card has a problem, when I connect the HD, it shows white screen.

Today morning, from cold boot, kickstart screen appeared. After I turned it off and on again I was no longer able to get the kickstart screen.

genny_flick

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Italy
Region
Bari, Apulia
Remove RTC chip don't have effect, if an hard drive is connected, a white screen is displayed.

genny_flick

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Italy
Region
Bari, Apulia
Yes he said item was working. I Will send item to Hese next week. I Hope he can fix it.

genny_flick

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Italy
Region
Bari, Apulia
Just for info, m/b has been fixed by Hese! Seller will pay for repair.

This is message from Hese:

"Hi,
I have now inspected the motherboard and could reproduce the issue with my A3630 card.
Sometimes the motherboard booted fine, sometimes it stuck to the grey boot screen.
I have repaired the motherboard. There were a couple of issues.
  1. U213 and U701 chips had wrong chip speeds according to the A4000D schematics. U213 had 15ns chip and U701 had 10ns chip. U213 should have had 10ns and U701 should have had 15ns. I desoldered the chips, swapped and reprogrammed them, and soldered them in correct locations.
    (before repair pictures 1 & 2, after repair pictures 3 & 4)
  2. The CPU slot connector had some pins with weak solder joints. I refluxed all the CPU slot pins. (pictures 5 & 6).
    The motherboard still didn't work stable. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.
  3. I desoldered the IDE GAL chips. The chips contained PIO2 IDE firmware. I reprogrammed the chips with the original PIO0 IDE firmware. (picture 7)
After programming the IDE GALs with PIO0 firmware, the motherboard booted every time.
PIO2 firmware does not work stable with all motherboard, CPU card and IDE device combinations.
I recommend using only the original PIO0 firmware due to that reason.
I have tested the motherboard with an A3630 card and a CF card attached to the IDE port.
The motherboard works stable now."

Boing-ball

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
Just for info, m/b has been fixed by Hese! Seller will pay for repair.

This is message from Hese:

"Hi,
I have now inspected the motherboard and could reproduce the issue with my A3630 card.
Sometimes the motherboard booted fine, sometimes it stuck to the grey boot screen.
I have repaired the motherboard. There were a couple of issues.
  1. U213 and U701 chips had wrong chip speeds according to the A4000D schematics. U213 had 15ns chip and U701 had 10ns chip. U213 should have had 10ns and U701 should have had 15ns. I desoldered the chips, swapped and reprogrammed them, and soldered them in correct locations.
    (before repair pictures 1 & 2, after repair pictures 3 & 4)
  2. The CPU slot connector had some pins with weak solder joints. I refluxed all the CPU slot pins. (pictures 5 & 6).
    The motherboard still didn't work stable. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.
  3. I desoldered the IDE GAL chips. The chips contained PIO2 IDE firmware. I reprogrammed the chips with the original PIO0 IDE firmware. (picture 7)
After programming the IDE GALs with PIO0 firmware, the motherboard booted every time.
PIO2 firmware does not work stable with all motherboard, CPU card and IDE device combinations.
I recommend using only the original PIO0 firmware due to that reason.
I have tested the motherboard with an A3630 card and a CF card attached to the IDE port.
The motherboard works stable now."
Happy days! 👍🏻 Hese to the rescue….. 🛟

Top Bottom