Nerd

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
hi all,
i was reading the geek poll and i noticed the word "nerd" was used, and i thought "hey i'm no nerd!" then i thought "well that's strange, i'm happy to be a geek but i don't like the thought of being a nerd"

so here's the poll "nerd or not?"

cheers, JuvUK

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife
Geek = yes - fully paid up, card carrying member of the geek fraternity.
Nerd = no - I have a life, gorgeous wife and lovely children and a number of varied interests...

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Conventional wisdom is that whilst nerds and geeks share the same (bordering on obsessive) compassion for something (usually technology and computers, but not always), nerds are the spotty teenagers who hide away, whereas geeks are proud of what they are and tend to be sociable with other geeks. So, yes, I'm a geek, but no, I'm not a nerd. :)

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
If the definition of a nerd goes by the age like Andy said there, then i'm certainly no teenager, therefore i ain't a nerd either! :D

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
According to Wikipedia,

Nerd is a term, often bearing a derogatory connotation or stereotype, that refers to a person who passionately pursues intellectual activities, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests that are age-inappropriate, rather than engaging in more social or popular activities. Therefore, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and considered a loner by peers, or will tend to associate with like-minded people.
The term "geek" is often used inter-changeably with "nerd", although the two terms have subtle differences in meaning.

The word geek is a slang term, noting individuals as "a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, etc."[1] Formerly, the term referred to a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken, bat, snake or bugs. The 1976 edition of the American Heritage Dictionary included only the definition regarding geek shows.

Personally, I prefer the term "eccentric". :D

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Alas I have always though myself a geek not a nerd..

I do beleieve that nerds have little or no social skills...

to be fair I have felt thats about the only difference.

Oh and the fact I like biting the heads off live chickens

although that nerd thing is a little to close for comfort in describing me...

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
sweet, not a member of Amiga.org

SAFE!

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Don't mind admitting to being a bit geeky. That's inteligence in disguise, but a nerd...

Sorry.....no for me. :|

Kin

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
Tricky question...
I was definitely a nerd in high school. Just ask the guys who beat me up.
(OK, I grew up in East L.A., so that's not a fair test. :) )

At some point in time, that changed. I think I was a nerd through college...

Now, I have a great wife. I have almost no problems in social situations. At work, I tend to lead the groups I'm in... So, somewhere I think the nerdiness wore off...

But down deep, I still think of myself self as a nerd because I was for so long; and it was the "important" part of my life.. High School.. :)

desiv

Fisketryne

Country
Norway
Region
Alta
I don´t see the big difference between being a geek or a nerd. Happy with both really.

Ps. When I somewhere wrote (drunk last night) that people reading amiga.org were nerds, I meant amibay. Hehe. But both fit the bill. Not that there´s anything wrong with that :help:

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
@ AndyC

What he said (and Andy is definitely no Nerd)!

Same situation - beautiful wife, beautiful daughter (got help me!) and pretty sociable and into lots of different things (cycling, music, painting (oils), retro stuff, new technology and so on).

Total geek and I'm comfortable in that (y)

J

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
I don´t see the big difference between being a geek or a nerd. Happy with both really.

Ps. When I somewhere wrote (drunk last night) that people reading amiga.org were nerds, I meant amibay. Hehe. But both fit the bill. Not that there´s anything wrong with that :help:

The difference between a geek (myself) and a nerd is simple. A nerd can speak klingon. A geek can program your OS, and change all of your files IN Klingon!!!!:shhh:

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Conventional wisdom is that whilst nerds and geeks share the same (bordering on obsessive) compassion for something (usually technology and computers, but not always), nerds are the spotty teenagers who hide away, whereas geeks are proud of what they are and tend to be sociable with other geeks. So, yes, I'm a geek, but no, I'm not a nerd. :)
Based on this definition, I'm no nerd!

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
you know you are an Uber Geek, if you get all the jokes on the "Big Bang Theory" (yes, I did end up playing "Klingon Boogle" one night.....

Top Bottom