ST-Freakz

Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Country
UK
Region
South East
new Panasonic floppy disk drive for the A1200

tested inside the A1200 only (may work with other models but this is not guaranteed)

£20 each plus shipping

UK shipping: £4
Europe shipping: £7.00
USA/Worldwide: £10

331eflc.jpg

Last edited:

eXeler0

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Country
Sweden
Region
Göteborg
NOS or refurbished?

Can anyone test it on the Amiga 500?
I was wondering the same. ;-)
(My a1200 drive is still healthy while the one in the a500 doesnt sound too good.)

Skickat från min GT-I9505 via Tapatalk

BLTCON0

Math inside
AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Country
Hellas (Greece)
Region
Chania, Crete
@jvidia
It will work perfectly on the A500, the floppy disk interface is identical to the A1200's.
But:
1. The eject button won't align properly (it's a bit shifted in the A1200, also of somewhat different shape)
2. It's a slim profile drive, the A500 uses normal profile drives so the existing mounting bolts are not suitable without some padding.

Some late A500/A500+ used a Panasonic JU-253 drive which is physically identical to this one (JU-257 series). Those have a proper eject button and mounting rails which could be reused with this drive.

- - - Updated - - -

Also wondering if it's NOS or refurb....

To begin with, these are not genuine A1200 DD Panasonic drives, those were JU-253s and these are JU-257 (high density). They lack the keyboard grounding metal leaf too (not a big loss though). And the eject button seems to be glued rather than mounted (there's a mounting lump deeper into the drive, to which the eject button secures via an extension "arm", this arm doesn't exist), not a big loss though again as it seems fairly original otherwise.

If there's a chance they're NOS units, they ought to come from ESCOM stock (and for some odd reason the official labels were removed). Those drives used 3 screws to mount the underside PCB. Later incarnations of the JU-257 drive used 4 screws. So a photo of the bottom could shed some light.

Last edited:

ST-Freakz

Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Country
UK
Region
South East
the drives are NEW as the original post and title states

the eject button is not glued onto the drive but is a push fit that can be removed if necessary

no idea if they work on an A500 as I don't have one, if I did I'd try it for you

yes the drives are high density but will only work in double density on the Amiga

Rakeim132

Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Country
Australia
Region
Gold Coast
I trust they'll go perfectly in A600 too.... Declaring interest in 2 units, shipment to France (I hope the postage cost don't add up, that's to confirm).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST-Freakz

Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Country
UK
Region
South East
I trust they'll go perfectly in A600 too.... Declaring interest in 2 units, shipment to France (I hope the postage cost don't add up, that's to confirm).

please read the first post

these have only been tested in an A1200 so I have no idea if they will work in the A600

they may do, but they may not!

upto you if you want to take the risk

I don't want them back if they don't work in the A600

fordav1

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
Australia
Region
WA
just a FYI, I have a few Panasonic JU-257 floppy drives and they work fine in A500/A600

BLTCON0

Math inside
AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Country
Hellas (Greece)
Region
Chania, Crete
The only catch would be if they are plain PC drives as used on those "modified" A1200s. I guess the only "Amiga-treatment" those ones got was a proper eject-button and setting to ID 0. But the READY signal was missing altogether, and the DISKCHANGE signal was on pin 34, as with all regular PC drives.
Those "modified" Amigas had the READY line cut-off from the internal connector, and a wire to bridge pins #2 and #34, so they could accept those mostly-PC drives.
Unmodified A1200s won't work with those, just like modified A1200s won't work with standard Amiga drives before the mods are reversed.

So the real question here is, what type of A1200 was used to test these drives? A standard one or one of those "modified" ones?
If it was a standard one, the drives will work on all Amiga models.
If it was a modified one, the drives are mostly-PC and will need further modifications to operate as "Amiga standard" drives.

Rakeim132

Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Country
Australia
Region
Gold Coast
Drives received. Thanks mate. Will leave positive feedback tonight! Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom