New Amiga mainboards

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Announcement from Jens.

he announced yesterday that he has bought all of the remaining stocks of csg and mos Amiga chipsets from chip suppliers.

he will build new Amiga motherboards for the Amiga 500 & 1200.
he hopes to have something to show in 6 months. I have videoed his announcement and I'll upload it when I get home.

also a new aca500 with 8mb ram which I think he said runs at 40+ MHz asynchronously

and a budget a1200 accelerator in two versions with speed upgrades available to purchase after sale.

mike

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
Announcement from Jens.

he announced yesterday that he has bought all of the remaining stocks of csg and mos Amiga chipsets from chip suppliers.

he will build new Amiga motherboards for the Amiga 500 & 1200.
he hopes to have something to show in 6 months. I have videoed his announcement and I'll upload it when I get home.

also a new aca500 with 8mb ram which I think he said runs at 40+ MHz asynchronously

and a budget a1200 accelerator in two versions with speed upgrades available to purchase after sale.

mike

I've said all along ACA500 with 2mb was useless and forced anyone buying to add another ACA12xx to make any use from it. now with 8mb its all that most users will need to play WHDLoad, the price will be the next point as he will have to compete with the soon to be released Vampire 500 with possible HDMI output.

Also when the Vampire 600 and 500 are released he will be doing a Vampire 1200... i'm more excited with the Vampire range as they provide top end 060 performance with 68000 compatibility rather than crippled ACA range, more versions and revisions the MS windows licensing.

Not sure if it's Jens or Amigakit that i'm still waiting on custom ROM chips, with built in updated SCSI.DEVICE so no more 2 - 3 reboots. that was I think 2 yrs ago now.

Last edited:

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
Is it about cloning usual motherboards or redesigning them?

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
Thank heavens for Jens and Majesta for the Vamps :)

Will be very interesting following a new Amiga motherboard build, who`d have thunk it :)

Ta for info Mike

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
I got the C64 reloaded, replacing early unreliable 80's IC's with modern integrated surface mount IC's but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the point of a 1200 board would be, its pretty much all surface mounted, has IDE, you can pick them up easily motherboard only very cheap and once the caps are swapped out there's very little to go wrong?

Arnie

Country
UK
Region
Leicester
Oh I don't know, bad solder joints, resistors failing, chips dying.

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
It will go the usual way: all will be great on paper, then released with advertised features to be added later, then later comes and even a couple of years later nothing gets fixed/added and will never be.
Highly uninteresting news and highly disturbing to see someone hoarding ALL custom ICs (as they claim).

Welcome to the new era: Hardware DLC
:LOL:

Last edited:

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
Indeed keropi! I hope those ic wont't turn as the apollo story with Jens.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 4 en utilisant Tapatalk

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
there are some nice features that could be added/integrated if it was rebuild of the original.

such as faster ide,hdmi/svideo(both would be nice)on the motherboard,usb mouse support etc doing away with rf and such thats not really needed or wanted these days...but still have the ability to use the existing cpu cards etc...but have a faster 030 onboard,would be really nice and possible i think
power supply isent really an issue as there mostly smps anyway,but a "new modern higher output and reliable" one would nice to go with it...

im not a huge fan of jens's products myself(due to them not being all that great and some not supported much),but im interested from an engineering point of view as to what he comes up with and the price range...

Last edited:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
If a new A1200 motherboard could be designed with an 030 as standard, fast ram simm sockets on the motherboard, a scandoubler/flicker fixer with VGA/DVI and/or HDMI output as standard, and a CF/SD card slot built in for use as a HDD it would be a great release. You wouldn't need to add anything else to the main board to get the most out of it. It would be all I would need and I would definitely buy one (depending on price).

If however it is a straight forward clone of the original, with maybe the issues such as the timing fix sorted out then I wouldn't bother.

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
im uploading the video of the Amiga event ....its long and i missed lots out ...sorry but thats what i video'd and its coming....

you can listen to what he had to say , i did speak with him after the event but everything was subject to change as technical problems occur / features added etc etc.

However he will making amiga reloaded motherboards.

i.e motherboards with updated features.

we can't really moan about this surely???

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
^ Blame the dev's past of unfinished products and really, really poor support for any comments resembling "moans" (which are not "moans" but opinions on the subject).
Not all opinions/comments seem positive and there's a good reason for this, not the members fault too for such comments.... ;)

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Ah more unfinished Beta Products to flood the market and help empty the communuties pockets.

He should consider setting a chain of dentist practices..

I'm very disturbed that he's claimed all outstanding AGA chips, wait for the announcement that he's scrapped Commodore Lisa chips because they dont fit his scandoublers properly therefore the chips are flawed.

What Bollox

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
I'm with TC on this one, everyone knows my feelings on the crippled ACA500,, even Fitzsteve had to cave and insert an extra 2mb into the cpu socket to make it of any use at all.

Some might not agree but the 2mb ram was not an engineering issue it was a salesman issue (give it only 2mb and an expansion socket then they have to buy aca12xx to use whdload :D )

thankgod for people like Kipper2k and Majsta or Jens would be laughing all the way to the bank.

snoopy77

Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
Would love to see an a500 mb with scan doubler, ide, 64mb, 030/40 all on the board. What a dream that would be.

Top Bottom