New BBS

mbob

Country
US
Region
Virginia
I stood up a new BBS last weekend to reminisce: telnet retrocave.no-ip.org 5432

What a trip down memory lane getting all of the PFiles/Doors configured. So far I have running: Global War, Tradewars, Murder Motel, Hack & Slash, Wheel of Fortune, Dragon's Lair, and others. I cannot seem to track down LoRD bits so if anyone has them please share.

So if you want to play a few of those or just remember what life was like before the internet jump on over for a spin. Also check out the 8 part BBS documentary if you haven't seen it, great stuff: https://youtu.be/mJgRHYw9-fU?list=PLgE-9Sxs2IBVgJkY-1ZMj0tIFxsJ-vOkv

Last edited:

Jameson

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Queensland
Hi mbob! I will check it out this weekend via my C64 with Ethernet card!

mbob

Country
US
Region
Virginia
A few new users logged on today so its working :) Feel free to make any suggestions, not sure if a BBS has any use in 2015 besides the nostalgic sense but fun for me none the less.

Last edited:

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
Also check out the 8 part BBS documentary if you haven't seen it, great stuff: https://youtu.be/mJgRHYw9-fU?list=PLgE-9Sxs2IBVgJkY-1ZMj0tIFxsJ-vOkv

So I'm watching the first video, and at 30:53 NotLarry shows up. He's one of the organizers of PhreakNic (our yearly hacker's convention here in Nashville). I didn't start attending until PhreakNic 8 or 9 (I'll have to through my old tee-shirts to figure it out). But at PhreakNic 9 there is some guy interviewing a bunch of us old greybeards and asking questions about the early days of computing. Turns out to be Jason Scott. :)

And yes, I was interviewed, and no, I didn't make it into the documentary. :)

Last edited:

Half-Saint

AmiBayer
Country
Slovenia
Region
Ljubljana
Oh yeah the BBS years! I joined in the party relatively late but I still have most of the QWK packets saved od 5.25" 360K floppies. Later on I switched to Blue Wave which just seemed so much better. Used my mother's XT and a 2400bps modem to connect to local BBSes. For a while, I had to deal with one such modem that had virtually no error correction. Such a nightmare!

Top Bottom