New Commodore phone trademark issue

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
The new upcoming ‘Commodore’ Smartphone got a lot of attention (good and bad) in the past few months, but it looks like they don’t own the rights to use the Commodore brand after all. They were actually trying to register a new trademark using the same name.

The actual owner of all Commodore-related brands is the company C= Holdings B.V., which has sent out a press-release making very clear that:
C=Holdings B.V. hereby announces that it has not granted any rights to CBM for making use of the COMMODORE trademark, nor that C=Holdings B.V. has any involvement in the development and marketing of its products. C=Holdings B.V. will vigorously defend its rights in this matter.
The smartphone maker new trademark application is now showing the status ‘Opposed’, which is filed by C= Holdings on August 11th.

C= Holdings B.V. itself doesn’t seem to be doing anything interesting with the brand they own, but that doesn’t give the rights to other companies to take over the Commodore name and do whatever they want with it. The Italian company filed the trademark application as Commodore Business Machines with headquarters in London- UK back in May, and the opposition was filed only yesterday, which means no decision was made so far.

If you are one of those dreaming about a Commodore Smartphone, maybe it is time to give up on that dream. Now, if you are one of the many thinking a Commodore Smartphone is a sacrilege against Commodore legacy, maybe it is time to start to celebrate. - See more at: http://www.vintageisthenewold.com/s...the-rights-after-all-eh/#sthash.noocC0a7.dpuf

http://www.vintageisthenewold.com/so-commodore-smartphone-maker-doesnt-own-the-rights-after-all-eh/

stephenfalken

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Now, if you are one of the many thinking a Commodore Smartphone is a sacrilege against Commodore legacy, maybe it is time to start to celebrate.

Hehe.

:arms :pint: :beer: :drinkin:

Lets get this party started!!

diskers

Country
Poland
Region
Maz
Legally if I was a trademark owner I wouldn't also allow to use my brand name by anyone without any agreement. Nothing strange in that matter for me. I don't get only one thing why no one is making use of the Commodore brand. The Commodore name is only "really something" for guys like us but for the majority of the younger generation it's nothing but an older brother or daddys' toy from the past and it does not really means something big. Making it short when we will advance further in time all the Commodore magic will vanish and won't be worth even a broken dime. So why someone will use it. To make a brand to survive you must be present on the market and have some good products. Frankly, who from you guys remember for exemple the Radiola company....

Last edited:

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I think the purists won't accept anything with a Commodore brand unless the Tramiel brothers acquire the trademark and then start selling Commodore branded stuff. :LOL:

LeonTubrok

Blogger
Country
England
Region
Lancs
As I remember, they went thru quite a few owners towards the end, didnt rights get all broke up, commodore, amiga, diff patents to diff companies too i think

diskers

Country
Poland
Region
Maz
C= Holdings B.V. itself doesn’t seem to be doing anything interesting with the brand they own, but that doesn’t give the rights to other companies to take over the Commodore name and do whatever they want with it. The Italian company filed the trademark application as Commodore Business Machines with headquarters in London- UK back in May, and the opposition was filed only yesterday, which means no decision was made so far.

As we are grown up people we know that they would give the rights to other companies but this giving must assure the owners a comfortable life for the rest of they lives counting family members and all the people around them ;) :). They won't give the trade mark and they even won't say what their plans because that what I told above is their plan. However telling it frankly won't leave a good general impression - not too many like to admit their faults in public. They bought the brand thinking that it's a good buisness to resell it quickly and make a free grab on the golden eggs duck with this brand name but it failed long ago - No quick easy money. Now who with solid money care about Commodore brand name... Even if those kind of people exists, they only care for sentimental reasons but sentiments are no good for buisness and are costly... So there's no possible way out...

Last edited:

stephenfalken

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
The thing that bothers me most are the attempts to cash in on a name. It is highly unlikely that the owners of the Commodore name will ever produce something relevant to us classic Commodore fans.

Releasing a cheap Android phone bundled with some third party emulators and bearing the Commodore name is just an attempt to grab a part of the market who might say 'Hey a Commodore phone, I used to have a Commodore when I was a kid and am so happy to see they have made a phone!'. Those who won't know the real story - that it's a licensed name from the greedy owner of the rights, and should they buy the phone they will probably soon realise that there will be little to no support for the third party emulators it is bundled with.

But each to their own I guess... What's in a name, after all? :)

Regards

Top Bottom