New Computers!!

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
Why are all the new computers so cheap, yet so disposable!? I have a 16-year old miggy still going strong, a '96 AT Machine 6k times faster than my WinBox. BAHHHH!! I hate the fact I now have to upgrade so often due to all this crap! GOLLUM!

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
Re: New Computers!!

I gave up trying to "keep up".
Years ago, I got a FAST computer. It was an AMD 2Ghz (1800, but it competed at 2Ghz on the tests) with 512M ram and an ATI All-in-Wonder (not Radeon, they weren't out) card.

Nice.. And I was doing video capturing, etc.. so it worked out well...

OK, it was a while.. a few years, and I upgraded (?? :) ) to an NVidia someone gave me (he upgraded to something else) for 3D and I eventually got 1G RAM (most the motherboard would handle). And that was great.

And that's what I still run today... It still works fine for me...

The last "upgrade" I made was moving to Ubuntu a year or so ago. Runs fine for me for what I do. Some games...

What? No, really.. some games.. Linux native commercial.. what? Yes they do exist! Neverwinter Nights, a bunch from an English company/guy (is that mate?) Introversion. Great stuff. Just got World of Goo (haven't had the time to try it yet tho...). I know there's a few more... America's Army or something like that plays pretty well...
The "Prey" demo chokes my poor machine tho.. :)

But I really don't spend a lot of time on FPS games, so I'm OK...

It runs everything else I need pretty well. So I haven't even considered upgrading recently....

Happy so far, and that's what's let me spend some of my computer money on retro rather than chasing new PC specs..

desiv

Photon

Amiga is Yes. :)
AmiBayer
Country
Sweden
Region
Smaland

Well, it's all a software/hardware race... new OS or game requires this that or the other, within a few years some game comes out that you feel like running... it's the games, really. No real other reason to upgrade from a P4 with XP.

No new games or OSes for Commodore Amigas, plenty of lovely games already, so no need to upgrade it. So it doesn't feel disposable, you already like using it. Also, Amigas don't have the tendency to fail or getting noisy fans etc like PC does.

There's not really much to love about a PC, it's a constellation of loose parts and software, so it's like a set of mounted industrial test equipment. Mouse+keyboard+screen+"whatever", to run what you want to run.

An Amiga is more like a car. It stays mostly the same and runs at the same speed, sometimes you make little neat upgrades but it's still the same car you bought and like to drive.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Its hardware progression. But only if you want the latest hardware and technology. You don't actually NEED to upgrade quite so often. A 2/3 year old PC that was a good spec when built will still run most current games at reasonable settings. Not at their best obviously, but still pretty good. And upgrading things like graphics cards and ram can extend their life further.

Even consoles eventually get superseded by newer consoles. However being a static platform they enjoy a longer liespan as developers can squeeze more from a hardware platform they know will be identical for all users.

All hardware progresses. Even in the Amiga days, if you had an A500, a shiny new A1200 in 1992 was a huge attraction to long term Amiga owners, especially gamers.

Why are PCs so cheap? Well, they aren't really. Yes hardware has fallen in price in many areas, with HDDs and Ram now very inexpensive compared to before. But if you want to build a half decent PC you still have to spend more on a good motherboard, CPU, heatink, graphics card, PSU, case etc. Buying a cheap off the shelf pre-built PC is a complete false economy as they always cut corners or use cheap poorly built components. Cheap motherboards with missing features, poor build quality etc, cheap PSU that could fail at any moment, cheap cases with limited upgrade space or badly designed air flow etc.. you still get what you pay for in the PC world.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

It's been a hardware/Software race for the last ten years plus afaic. Computers depreciate faster than cars & that's a fact. Add to that, cheap labour & naff components in China & it's a right old sh!t-fest. Unless you're willing to buy the best, it'll burn out faster than a pair of Drag Strip Slicks on a Top Fueler! - It's that disposable. :nod:

Kin

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Word.
:nod:
PCs depreciate faster than a South African currency and they are obsolete as soon as you open the box. Uncle Bill's latest bloatware, lazy game programmers who can't be arsed to write tight code, as they have terabytes of hard drive space to fill, games that put eye candy before actual gameplay...

Bah, humbug!!

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Merlin said:
Word.
:nod:
PCs depreciate faster than a South African currency and they are obsolete as soon as you open the box. Uncle Bill's latest bloatware, lazy game programmers who can't be arsed to write tight code, as they have terabytes of hard drive space to fill, games that put eye candy before actual gameplay...

Bah, humbug!!

Says "him" with a 256Mb Graphics card falling over itself with Vista! - :jester: :ROTFLOL2: :laugh: :woot:

Kin

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

I'm quite happy with MAME, DosBox and loads of older games, which, in a lot of cases, are better than some of the latest offerings and run quite happily on my hardware.... they don't need water cooling, uber-expensive hardware and a price tag that looks like it's in Lire.....

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

.....But according to your earlier pleas elsewhere, Vista is Cr4p on your 256Mb Graphics rig!? :ROTFLOL2: :laugh: :woot:

Kin

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

I only ran the upgrade advisor, for a laugh; I have no intention of running Vista (rinses mouth out) or Windoze 7 (spits in corner)... XP Home SP3 is just fine for me right now, mate..... after trying to fix a bloody Acer lappy running Vista Home Basic with UAC kicking in every click of the mouse, that was enough for me....

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

Merlin said:
I only ran the upgrade advisor, for a laugh; I have no intention of running Vista (rinses mouth out) or Windoze 7 (spits in corner)... XP Home SP3 is just fine for me right now, mate..... after trying to fix a bloody Acer lappy running Vista Home Basic with UAC kicking in every click of the mouse, that was enough for me....

It its defence, at least Windows 7 has a "Turn off UAC" switch. :)
The resource footprint for 7 is also less than that of Vista. As far as Windowses go, it's not a bad replacement for XP.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ Merlin

Me see's so much moon-walking, you ain't even close kiddo. :laugh:

@ AndyLandy

Gaming under Vista or XP Pro = XP Pro. 64bit, 32 bit Vista = Same sh!t as windows 98SE/Win XP. ;)

Kin

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

:LOL: I think you have Merlin cornered now Kin! ;)

@Merlin. Consider upgrading to Win 7. It's a big improvement over XP, and has none of the excessive resource overheads of Vista. Worth the upgrade in my view.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Wasn't trying to put the fella in any corner Harrison. He did that himself, but.....

@ Merlin

Stay on XP m8. Pro would be a better move over Vista or 7 for your hardware, especially with that 256Mb graphics card you have.....

Speaking of which, tell me this. Go to Device Manager & do a Properties on your Graphics card & take note of the Driver. Who's it supplied by? - Micro$oft?

Also tell me the exact model of you card & CPU please.

AndyLandy said:
<snip>
It its defence, at least Windows 7 has a "Turn off UAC" switch. :)
<snip>

So Does Vista. Go to the user accounts in Settings Control Panel & turn it off. ;)

Kin

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

I was about to comment on the UAC too. It is so funny that so many people think turning it off is a new feature of Win 7, when it has been there all along in Vista. :)

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

My view on Vista is that it felt like it wasn't finished code; it just had a sort of half-cocked, not-quite-there feel, that had been made worse by things like UAC being on by default. It's hard for me to describe it but it the laptop that fought me for hours with no Internet was running Vista and it put me right off.

I'm going to wait until the first wave of patches is over then I'll probably upgrade to Windows 7. Until then, I'm on the hunt for Vista-style drivers that will work with a Trust Easy Webscan 19200 scanner (a rebadged Artec unit). I see no need to throw away a perfectly good scanner just because a driver can't be easily found. There may be a WIA driver out there somewhere....

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

So, Vista can't detect and install the scanner itself?

One thing that I've always thought was a huge improvement in Vista over XP is in device handling and hardware installation, especially USB. Some might have bad experiences and completely contradict my experience, but to date, on plugging anything into a Vista based PC, it finds, recognises, downloads and installs the correct drivers, and gets it up and running, without any hassles of having to manually download anything.

In contrast, under XP it can sometimes be a nightmare getting the OS to recognise a device correctly, let alone convince it that the driver you are pointing it to is the right one. HP printers seem especially bad at this. But plugging the same HP printers into a Vista PC and it detects it, downloads a lightweight driver, installs it and is ready to use in a couple of minutes. The same experience can take XP took over half an hour while the system tried to locate drivers, failed, then detected the printer again as a different name, and the process circled round again until cancel was clicked, drivers were manually downloaded and installed by hand. :banghead: This has happened to me on various XP systems trying to install HP printers for people. Espon printers however don't seem to suffer from the same issues. Strange.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

That's for the Direct Webscan version, Model No. 12389_07; mine is an Easy Webscan, Model No. 12388_02 and I know that this was also badged as Artec and Medion versions. I'll dig out an old hard drive and try Windows 7 on it, just to see what does get detected.

Top Bottom