New EBay Scam going on?

Boing-ball

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
Just touch base with others who might use EBay.
Today I had a strange message sent to me from a Brand new Ebay member (Joined 8th January 2024 with “0” feedback). Message was “Interested in buying your item, how quickly I could send an item I have for sale and can it arrive before the end of this week?”
I replied back that I cannot guarantee this as it would be in the hands of the courier for which I have no control of. Plus they were new with “0” feedback.
reply back I had from this brand new buyer, “Yes I just joined today from my works office, so you can’t tell me the courier or postage being used? This is for some artists“.
With that I didn’t reply, blocked the buyer and reported the message… Item is for a Amiga A1200.

anyone else think this was strange? Scam perhaps?

miggymad

Retired
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Central
Yep, it's a scam.

How it works: It's a simple online fraud in which scammers deceive unsuspecting individuals by establishing bogus accounts on online auction websites and participating in auctions without intending to pay for the items. These scammers frequently employ stolen credit cards or fraudulent payment methods to win auctions, leaving sellers without recourse when the items are neither paid for nor delivered.

The bogus buyer seems very eager to gain the courier used and how fast to deliver which usually means they'll disappear by the end of the week without trace, then probably open new accounts with more fake or stolen credit cards from another location.

Last edited:

Boing-ball

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
Yep, it's a scam.

How it works: It's a simple online fraud in which scammers deceive unsuspecting individuals by establishing bogus accounts on online auction websites and participating in auctions without intending to pay for the items. These scammers frequently employ stolen credit cards or fraudulent payment methods to win auctions, leaving sellers without recourse when the items are neither paid for nor delivered.

The bogus buyer seems very eager to gain the courier used and how fast to deliver which usually means they'll disappear by the end of the week without trace, then probably open new accounts with more fake or stolen credit cards from another location.
Glad my spider senses kicked in then… Especially with the last message about “It’s for the Artists”. Really…. Thanks for the confirmation.

miggymad

Retired
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Central
Just a quick follow up ...

The scammer would probably rent somewhere on a short term lease or is using one of those PO box companies that forward on their mail and parcels.

They would only need to be there in person to sign for any items, hence the reason of asking how soon for delivery and what courier were you going to use.

Top Bottom