Not open for further replies.

eslapion

Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Country
Canada
Region
Quebec
A new generation of PLA for the C64 will soon be available;PLAnkton is a new substitute for the C64 PLA U17 part no. 906114-01 or 251064-01.

A few years ago, a PLA based on the Xilinx XC9536 appeared in the Commodore community. This circuit is now out of production and has been for quite some time.

The new generation of CPLD which replaces this circuit is the XC9536XL which runs at a lower voltage and has more features built-in.

Fredric Blaholtz aka E5frog has created a new VHDL code for the XC9536XL which includes a sophisticated chain reaction delay to ensure full compatibility with all versions of the C64 and exploits the built-in slew rate control and low power mode of this modern IC. The result is a PLA that is fully compatible with all C64 boards except assy 250469 and all C64 cartridges including, FastLoad, Super Zaxxon, 1541 Ultimate I and II and consumes only 20mA - one fifth the power of an original Commodore PLA and produces absolutely no heat. It is equipped with gold plated pins to ensure the highest reliability and longevity.

This new PLA, when compared to the SuperPLA V3, proves to be 100% compatible will all C64 cartridges including Epyx FastLoad, consumes one third the power and costs 40% less. Its also smaller and won't cause physical conflict with the SID nearby on older boards.

Meet PLAnkton:
PLAnkton1k.jpg

I certify the circuit used in the product to be a genuine Xilinx product purchased from an authorized distributor.

The price tag for this product is 14$ per unit, shipping a small packet (up to 20 units) to the US is 6$. Shipping cost for Australia and South America is 12$.

The product is strictly shipped with antistatic protective packaging. It is covered by a 90 days money back guarantee and a 3 year replacement guarantee afterwards.

I will be distributing the product in North/South America and Australia. European customers are invited to contact Fredric Blaholtz. ( http://channelf.se/mail/index.html )

All prices indicated are in US dollars.

Soon to be tested on the C64r - ADDED EDIT: TESTED SUCESSFULLY AND FOUND TO BE 100% COMPATIBLE WITH THE C64r BOARD!

Features and characteristics:
- Costs 30% less than the SuperPLA V3
- Draws only 20mA - 1/5 the power of an original Commodore PLA - 1/3 the power of the Super PLA V3
- Produces no discernable heat
- 100% compatible with all C64 mainboards 326298, 250407, 250425, SX-64, 250466 (NOT compatible with board 250469)
- 100% compatible with ALL C64 cartridges including FastLoad, 1541 Ultimate I & II, Super Zaxxon, Easy Flash
- Made only using currently available genuine Xilinx circuits purchased from an authorized distributor
- Gold plated pins for best reliability and longevity
- Shipped in antistatic protective material
- covered by a 90 days money back guarantee and a 3 year replacement guarantee afterwards

Last edited:

demolition

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
Nice and also and a bit cheaper than SuperPLA, although I like that the SuperPLA can be reconfigured for many models and not just C64.

Will it work with the Epyx cart? (SuperPLA supposedly does not)

eslapion

Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Country
Canada
Region
Quebec
PLAnkton is 100% compatible with all C64 carts including Epyx FastLoad

Last edited:

MCes

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Country
Italy
Region
Rome
For me is very strange that a game (super zaxxon) is hard to be compatible with a PLA substitute... I could understand some "special chartridge" (fastload....).

why is Super Zaxxon so critical?

Last edited:

eslapion

Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Country
Canada
Region
Quebec
For me is very strange that a game (super zaxxon) is hard to be compatible with a PLA substitute... I could understand some "special chartridge" (fastload....).

why is Super Zaxxon so critical?

Super Zaxxon uses a flip-flop attached to ROML to toggle access between the upper and lower half of a larger ROM attached to ROMH. When a PLA substitutes has problems, it will produce garbage on both the ROMH and ROML lines in the cartridge port. This causes the Super Zaxxon cart to go completely nuts and generate nothing but garbage on screen or crash altogether.

The electronics in Fastload are actually simpler than SuperZaxxon - Fastload has only 8k of data and one logic chip inside it. Super Zaxxon has 20k and 2 logic chips.

Sidenote: 80 units of PLAnkton have already been pre-ordered!

- - - Updated - - -

First production units:
IMG_20150808_005024.jpg

Last edited:

stephenfalken

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
What an excellent project at an amazing price! I will need a few PLAs when I dig out my C64 stash again.

Congrats and thanks to everyone involved with this!

Regards

eslapion

Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Country
Canada
Region
Quebec
Thank you for your comment stephenfalken!

On another note:
Good news!PLAnkton is officially 100% compatible with the C64 Reloaded circuit board!

DutchinUSA

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Country
Unites States
Region
Wisconsin
Sorry, 1. I am being lazy, 2. I just recently got back into c64 ... What does this product do? What do you use it for?

eslapion

Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Country
Canada
Region
Quebec
Sorry, 1. I am being lazy, 2. I just recently got back into c64 ... What does this product do? What do you use it for?
The PLA is a large logic chip located near the middle of the Commodore 64 and it controls what device has access to the data bus. It occupies socket U17.

The old programmable logic chips used to make the PLA in the C64 consume half a watt and produce a lot of heat so they fail often. You can recognise them labeled ass 82S100 in early C64s or MOS 906114-01 in the majority of later machines.

PLAnkton is a replacement for that chip that produces no heat and uses a modern chip running in low power mode. PLAnkton consumes about the same power as an ordinary green LED so this will also contribute to reduce the stress on your power supply.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom