New gotek drive design just for the Amiga

lyndonhammill

Country
uk
Region
lancashire
Hi, I finished a project and was stuck for a challenge, So I decided to start designing a new floppy drive emulator, Just designed for the Amiga,
I finished designing the circuit board for the design tonight. It has 3 buttons instead of 2 So you can browse the ADF's without selecting them and then
a third button to select, the ADF, wish is going to do the same basically as putting a new floppy in a drive. Any suggestions along the way would be helpfull from other amiga users. Ill keep you informed on my progress. Theres going to be an LCD readout so you can read the name of the ADF image instead of just a number.

EMULATOR.jpg

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
looks great , is this a pcb to fit in an enclosure or case?

ADz83

Country
England
Region
Hull, East Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Is this going to be board only or have an housing?

Sound emulation would be a nice touch :)

lyndonhammill

Country
uk
Region
lancashire
Ok, this is just a development board, to develop the firmware and get it working, Its got various sockets for a programmer, test equipment etc. When the software's finished, and fully developed, I'm going to make a final board that is custom made to fit to the Amiga without doing any butchering to it, So one version will fit perfectly into an Amiga 500 drive bay, And will be thin enough to fit through the drive slot, And the only thing exposed on the outside of the Amiga will be a screen and 3 buttons and a port for a USB dongle, However these will be covered by some means that I will devise in the future. That's my plan anyway. I'm not sure about sound emulation :LOL:. You could have jumper settings that make noises of a drive in various states of distress, no lets keep it serious.

Last edited:

ADz83

Country
England
Region
Ok, this is just a development board, to develop the firmware and get it working, Its got various sockets for a programmer, test equipment etc. When the software's finished, and fully developed, I'm going to make a final board that is custom made to fit to the Amiga without doing any butchering to it, So one version will fit perfectly into an Amiga 500 drive bay, And will be thin enough to fit through the drive slot, And the only thing exposed on the outside of the Amiga will be a screen and 3 buttons and a port for a USB dongle, However these will be covered by some means that I will devise in the future. That's my plan anyway. I'm not sure about sound emulation :LOL:. You could have jumper settings that make noises of a drive in various states of distress, no lets keep it serious.

I was referring to the sound output mod you can put on the Gotek boards that emulated the sound of a disk drive in use?

The custom external housing for floppy drive which interoperates the screen/buttons sounds exactly what I have been looking for ;)

Will you be modding it for A1200 as well?

lyndonhammill

Country
uk
Region
lancashire
All my current development is based on people sending me there kit for reverse engineering . A guy lent me a 1351 mouse to develop 1351 emulation for my
Commodore USB dongle that I sell on my website, and now hes getting a free dongle when I send his kit back, So when the time comes in the next weeks or months when then developments done, Perhaps if someone sends me a 1200 for a couple of days, it will be returned with a free mod :roll:

- - - Updated - - -

On this design, I'm going to make it so that you need a folder in a dongle called ADF. So that you can use the dongle for all your other stuff including work stuff etc. When you put a dongle into the drive, it will ignore the contents of the dongle, except the contents of the ADF folder, where you put your ADF files. But this will be transparent and it will do automatically. I am planning also instead of the ADF's being assigned numbers, they are simply sorted automatically alphabetically and numerically, so you just scroll through an alphabetic list of ADF files from A-Z.

sneeker

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Manchester!
Where in lancs are you, I've got a 1200 with graphics issues you can use? How working does it need to be? Have a fully working one spare and a couple of 500s.

lyndonhammill

Country
uk
Region
lancashire
Hi thanks Sneeker, i'm in Bolton, it will be about 4-6 weeks before i'm ready for that, but that's great. I'll get back to you in due course... Lyndon

Last edited:

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Great project Lyndon, good luck with it.(y)

Forgive my lack of understanding of electronics but, if this is installed in a system with a hard drive, could the USB port be used for other devices if it's not being used as a floppy device? ...with an appropriate USB stack of course.

Ed.

lyndonhammill

Country
uk
Region
lancashire
Yes of course Ed, As well as acting as a host it can also act as a peripheral, I was actually thinking of letting you able to connect straight to a PC as well, But i'll keep all my fancy ideas until I get it working. It going to be a mammoth task for myself, What I am attempting is extremely difficult. But I've not failed yet. So for the the next month or two i'm just going to concentrate on getting the firmware running. I need everyone like yourself to put input in on the way of course. If everyone's ideas are put together, Then it should be a great result.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but that would take two things, software on the Amiga side to take care of the floppy port interfacing,(i'm not familiar with Amiga and don't know if you can takeover the floppy bus at the low level needed for this ?) and then firmware in the circuit board to interpret the comms between the USB stack and the floppy bus stuff. sounds very difficult though, but i like difficult things, It all depends on whether you can talk to the floppy bus controller at low level and then also the speed of this, Perhaps it would be easier or more practical to make a board with a USB socket and a microcontroller interface running a USB stack that plugs into the serial port? what are you thinking of talking to?

- - - Updated - - -

20150403_165424.jpg
PCB finished

Last edited:

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
@lyndonhammill
Everyone is looking for a cheap USB solution for the Amiga, there are some out there but very expensive.

if I had access to USB on my Amiga it would be mainly used for flash drives to transfer files between PC and Amiga, which atm for us none USB owning members would mainly be PCMCIA adaptor that uses Compact flash cards or actually removing the internal HDD/Compact flash drive and connecting to a PC using Winuae to do the same.

So a simple USB device would be VERY welcome as long as it wasn't too slow.

Last edited:

lyndonhammill

Country
uk
Region
lancashire
Just need to wait for CPU to come now to solder underneath, Then I can start developing the firmware.
20150404_151315.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

With this you will be able to write to as well as read from ADF's on a dongle as if it was a real floppy, Also, the files will be put in a ADF folder on the dongle, So that you can use the dongle for other things, When you put the dongle in the emulator, it will only get the ADF's out of the ADF folder and ignore everything else transparently. And then automatically sort them into a list in alphabetical order.At the bottom of the list will automatically be inserted an ADF called unformatted.ADF, which you can select and swap into the drive etc. That's my plan, please comment with ideas / criticisms...

Last edited:

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
what about directories ??

I think the average user would be a small list of adf's

but what if you had a few hundred, could they be in sub folders like A, B , C , D1 ,D2 etc ?? because if the disk you want is number 100 out of 200 it's a lot of button pressing ;)

lyndonhammill

Country
uk
Region
lancashire
thats what im thinking now.. im thinking that the screen would show directories, and you can go into directories as well as backup , so i was thinking so now im thinking of four buttons now, scroll up, scroll down, select and go up one level.

- - - Updated - - -

And obviously those directories would just be normal directories on a dongle

- - - Updated - - -

ill get it running first, once i've finished the firmware, i can come back and look at improving the user interface. I think thats the most sensible approach

ADz83

Country
England
Region
Really looking forward to seeing how this develops :)

Top Bottom