New member getting back into Amiga

LeonTubrok

Blogger
Country
England
Region
Lancs
Hi all, first time on here!

So i found this site after id been fighting thru my "PC Room" and came across all my Amiga gear!
the memories came flooding back and i quickly forgot why i went in there and started looking thru my Amiga stuff. I started doing research on amiga communities online and came to here :)

I used to be An "Amiga Angel" decades ago (if anyone even remembers what they were) and iv been trying to get my brain back in gear remembering startup-sequences and the like and also got the Amiga forever disk and commandeered one of my PCs to by my surrogate amiga till i could get my old tower running again.

However Iv found my amiga stuff is taking up alot of space (the original reason i was in there was to make space) but i dont want to get rid of eveything and having just an "emulator" doesnt feel right. So i want to just get the best amiga sytem i can from the parts i have and just sell the rest off or send to recycling.

so as i progress (will prob take weeks) i will post items on here that i hope someone will want, i looked on ebay but people seem be trying sell stuff for silly prices and i just want a reasonable price for things i think have some value.

So far iv found loads of amiga magazines with disks, manuals, original boxed games and apps, cataloged copied games, hardware/motherboards etc. proper aladins cave.

Anyways will start posting more details once iv worked out what i want to keep and what needs to go

BTW surprised how well SelfImage works for backing up amiga hard drives, was worried id loose all the data from my quantum Bigfoot, now its all there preserved as a diskimage on the emulator! Just hope i can get my amiga running too, been about 20 years since i last started it up and its just dead when i power on, hope just a simple fix

bye for now
Neil Corbett/LeonTubrok
NCmultimedia/=IcaruS=

LeonTubrok

Blogger
Country
England
Region
Lancs
So Iv been thowing out alot of stuff and making my way thru the shelves and seeing whats there. Thought i would do a b4 and after shots (I decided its now called a Man Cave rather than PC room)

DSC_4413.jpgDSC_4414.jpgDSC_4415.jpgDSC_4416.jpgDSC_4417.jpgDSC_4418.jpgDSC_4419.jpgDSC_4420.jpgDSC_4421.jpgDSC_4422.jpg

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
what are the pictures on the wall next to the door?

im curious,lol

Last edited:

LeonTubrok

Blogger
Country
England
Region
Lancs
just samples from past work, i used to do 3danims for DVDs in induction and training vids etc. some are just past projects, models etc

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
was wondering if you did any rendering etc on the amiga.

Matt3o

Country
Italy
Region
Florence
all that beige plastic... is too close to the window and all those damned UV rays! :)

LeonTubrok

Blogger
Country
England
Region
Lancs
Oh used to do loads! did my degree on the amiga, i was in a minority of one as rest used PC or Mac. I have Cinema4d on amiga and a few other 3d packages (cant remember their names)
wish id kept alot of the work but would prob look laim now, do have a pic of a Amiga concept idea thou long b4 "tablet" was prevalent:
Handheld.jpg

I looked on your profile and realized we can have albums so i will upload stuff as I sort thru (not just the man cave needs sorting, shed loads of work etc)

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, yeh and im a smoker too so that beige has got alot beiger! ;p

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
I used to use Lightwave on the Amiga, nothing great, I did a virtual canteen with vending machines, all photographed and textures applied so we could show at the time a large customer what the canteen would sorta look like. I might still have the project somewhere, what i'm really upset with is my ASM Devpack 3 source code, I lost it all in a backup that failed.. I used to do MOD tracker music for my own ASM scrolling, bounce demo's.

LeonTubrok

Blogger
Country
England
Region
Lancs
Thats it, Lightwave (and REal3D) i used to use too, built a Babylon 5 model with it for a Uni project, was a flight sim i made in Director where u had to navigate into the rotating entrance of the bab5 station, it was a struggle rendering the frames out for that but i liked the results. the virtual canteen you mentioned, i did a similar thing too for an exhibition, i will have to dig all this stuff out.
Thats another reson i wanted to get the amiga back running was the sound mods, did love messing with them, i do have alot of mods on their that are still fun to listen to (using the emulator at the mo to listen)
Sequencer 1 was one i remember, but have others, btw are there anywhere here or another site u know of where you can still get music mods?

Last edited:

Vyncynt

Country
USA
Region
Alabama
Nice wallpaper :LOL:, no, j/k. I know many folks have converted their children's rooms into computer labs after they left home. Gotta make the most of the space you have.

Wow, that's really a nice collection!

Before you consider sending anything to the recycling center, offer it up to everyone here. Even if it is broken, some hobbyists may be interested in it! I saw a post earlier that someone was interested in old brochures. I usually just tossed those. My wife thinks I am nuts for collecting really old computers, but after she saw the effort I put into bringing dead computers back to life, I think she is starting to appreciate it.

LeonTubrok

Blogger
Country
England
Region
Lancs
yes, will do. just wish id found this site sooner b4 i got rid of some things. I do remember now i also put some things in the attic, so will take a look up there too

LeonTubrok

Blogger
Country
England
Region
Lancs
I got my amiga working, sort of. the psu in the tower wasn't booting up the system without the help of the original a1200 psu too (after I removed a few zorro cards) so at least its running, even if just as a standard 1200.

Im looking thru floppies and wondering whats best idea to do with them, so far im going thru "utility disks" various things like MultiUser, VMM, copy disk apps etc. Would these be of interest to anyone, I could make a detailed list of whats on each disk or not worth the bother?

Vyncynt

Country
USA
Region
Alabama
They are probably worth having to someone. I am in the process of converting all, or most, of my original floppy disks to ADF format. I am surprised that so many of my originals survived long term storage. However, some of them do present read errors, so I am trying to get them captured before they are no longer viable.

LeonTubrok

Blogger
Country
England
Region
Lancs
Tell me about it! some 20 year old and working fine. been thru all my flight sim disks and no errors so far. think will adf them then see if anyone wants the whole box, will be worth something even if they just want a disk box and use disks as blanks. got rest of system running apart from blizzard accelerator, think it just needed warming up so can have better gfx now picasso running. not sure why blizzard not working yet thou

Vyncynt

Country
USA
Region
Alabama
Some of those floppy disks are really tough. I had some in a closet and others in the attic. I found my original Chaos Engine disks in the attic and pulled them out. Played the game from start to finish without a glitch!

LeonTubrok

Blogger
Country
England
Region
Lancs
Amazing when you consider at the height of Amiga there was always talk of being careful with your disks etc.
Today iv even managed to revive a quantum Daytona 2.5inch drive that died about 15 years ago when the cat peed on it!
found it in a box and cleaned it up, found some of the copper on the circuit board had rotted off. thanks to my myopia, a steady hand and a few threads of copper wire and super glue I connected it up and it runs!

was expecting to find some long lostsoftware but was just standard workbench install.
still worth using if it lasts, and weirdly, no crc errors. Iv put it in my tower which still has some probs (psu intermittent and blizzard still not running) but im getting there

Vyncynt

Country
USA
Region
Alabama
Well, that's definitely a new way for a hard drive to expire :LOL:

Never thought about using super glue to repair a copper trace. I usually use solder and flux. Glad you got it working!

LeonTubrok

Blogger
Country
England
Region
Lancs
yeh they were way to small to do with my soldering iron, prob would have just snapped the wire thread

Top Bottom