brendank

Country
Scotland
Region
Hamilton
Hello

I started late in life with the C64 circa 1982 and was fascinated by the graphics and sound capabilities..played Elite until I had no joysticks left . My soon to be (and still) wife at the time was the self proclaimed Chuckie egg champion of Scotland. The time came to put away such foolishness and two beautiful daughters became my main concern. The good lady must have caught me flicking furtively through well thumbed magazines in the newsagents (titter you not).One Christmas I awoke to find the A500 with Escape from the planet of the robots and something called `workbench`1.3 which no matter how many times I typed dho just didnt seem to do anything...aahh dh:0 :smile:. I was hooked and bought every cu/format/shopper mag I could lay my hands on.My mates used to come round on Fridays for the micropose golf championship...great gameplay alongside sensisble soccer although we tended to prefer Goal.Cadaver was a winner too. I waited anxiously for the next amiga and like many others was sorely disappointed when the 600 made an appearance...no thanks Commodore.Then the 1200 arrived...wow! . A 68020ec ..not great (falcon had 030) but the AGA graphics were stunning.I kept the faith and time moved on and we all know what happened to commodore but the community was/is still so enthusiastic that the 1200 lasted well past its expected shelf life. So to today, I retrieved the Amiga 1200 from the attic intending to sell it but the memories came flooding back..not just computer memories but family memories..the way a smell or a sound can trigger such reverie. I just couldn`t part with it and now have a flicker fixer, Blizzard 50mhz 030,rapid road usb and CF card all awaiting that long dreamed of tower..

cercamon

Country
Switzerland
Region
Ticino
Nice story. Thanks for sharing. And welcome! Maybe, if you don't mind, I will PM you about the steps you took to enhance your A1200. I need to make a plan of my own machine to let it go to the Net for basic tasks.

Top Bottom