Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Howdy All!

Against the advice of the manual I've removed and fitted my Apollo 630 a fair few times now as I've made several changes to this machine and its not as secure as it used to be...

Is there the possibility to fit a new socket? Would it be the same as the socket on the A608? If so perhaps I can obtain one via that channel?

Any help appreciated, I don't really want to go down the route of hot glue, ect.

Steve :ninja:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Steve

Alas my friend its not the same, the A608 uses a 68pin SMD PLCC based socket where the A630 uses a 68pin Through-Hole PLCC socket.

Structurally speaking the Through-Hole is much more robust.

Unfortunately removing one of these sockets from an A630 is not an easy job, and nor is it for the faint hearted... in the end I had to use hot air to get to the solder so that the iron didn't burn the PCB, which is very easily done.

I would suggest only going down that road in the last-case scenario

in the mean time you can try the following

1. using a pin place behind the contact of the PLCC socket and push it out gently, make sure that you DO NOT protrude past the plastic of PLCC pin seperator.

2. Use some hot glue once in place.

if your having more problems, take some pics so we can help =)

good luck

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi Zetr0,

Thanks for the fast advice :)

I gave the pins a quick clean and I seem to have a better connection now (I was getting a green screen on boot unless I put some presure onto the socket) but now it seems ok, so I shall monitor the situation and follow your tip should I get further trouble.

The Apollo has been in its box for a little while as I was busy on the tower :whistle:

Its a shame the socket is not the same and not easy to change, it would be nice to have a nice new socket...

Steve.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Hiyas steve the problem with the Socket over the top of the CPU is that the CPU pins get crushed inward, and thats the other half of the story - insofar as connectivity.

I did have an idea to put extra solder on the top of the CPU legs so that it made stronger contact with the socket as it thickens the legs against the plastic casing of the CPU and as the pins cannot go back any futher it should irradicate the loose connectivity problem..

but it does require modifying the onboard CPU with solder, flux and a soldering iron ..... oh and a toothbrush and some cleaning solution...

If you need help in this endevor I am at your disposal my friend =)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
If you need help in this endevor I am at your disposal my friend =)

Thanks mate - thats great to know :)

Still need to talk the wife into letting me go to the 25 year event, maybe it would be nice to bring this machine along...

Steve.

Top Bottom