NEw to this forum......

Status
Not open for further replies.

leohopkins

Frozen
Country
Croydon, England
Hi guys,

My name is Leo, im a 29 year old Englishman. I have recently purchased an A600 which im currently doing up. - I had various Amigas pass through my hands when I was a teenager but went without for the past ten years so it feels good to have one again :)

I have a couple of questions...What is this Amiga OS 4.1 I hear about ? What kind of hardware do you need to run it on? Where can you buy the hardware?

coze

Commander
Country
Japan
Region
Tokyo
Re: NEw to this forum......

Hello Leo, welcome aboard ! :D Hope you have fun with your little A600 !

The OS 4.1 is the latest incarnation of the amiga OS. It is a PPC OS so it will run only in PPC systems, the latest being the SAM440 you can buy both from amiga vendors like amigakit or vesalia. Unfortunately it won't run on your a600. Also, you should note that this is totally different from classic amiga OS'es, you can't run most of your classic software on OS 4.1 unless under emulation.

leohopkins

Frozen
Country
Croydon, England

Thankyou - I forgot to mention, I am also after a copy of "CrossDOS" and hardware wise I am after a trapdoor memory expansion / accelerator for the A600. So if anyone has a working one that they want to sell please let me know.

Also......a bit of advice needed, My kickstart ROM is version 37.300. What kind of internal hard disk can i buy? whats the maximum amount of hard disk capacity that my A600 can have?

If I buy a 2.5" 80GB PATA from PC World, will this fit in and work in the A600 ? If not any suggestions ?

Thanks !

coze

Commander
Country
Japan
Region
Tokyo

my pleasure, the 37.300 is the first version where harddisk support is included, but it's said to be buggy. 37.350 is better, but while you're at it, I'ld strongly recommend you get 3.1 ROM. I guess you can find it from amigakit and it shouldn't be expensive. With the 3.1 ROM you can access 4GB. You can stick a bigger HDD in there, but you better not use after 4 GB.

You can get around the 4gb issue but it's rather complicated (patching ROMs, getting newer version scsi.device) 4 gb is plenty of space in the amiga world anyway. Also you may need an accelerator for the newer version ROMs, which is very hard to come by for A600.

I would suggest you get a CF - IDE adapter and use a CF card as harddisk. It's cheap, silent, cool, reliable.

Also a PCMCIA CF adapter for easy file transfers with the PC. And you're all set.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Hi Leo and welcome.

For the A600 and potential upgrades available for it take a look at the following Wiki page on my site:

http://wiki.classicamiga.com/A600_Upgrade_Options

I've been working on these pages to provide as much information as I can for owners of each model of Amiga, with the A600 page being one of the first to be fully complete.

As you will see from the details on that page, the kickstart revision 37.300 that your A600 has is the most common, but it has the limitation of only allowing harddrives/partitions up to 40MB. You would therefore need to obtain the later 37.350 or the newer 3.1 roms to use a larger HD.

Some people have reported that they can use larger HDD with a 37.300 rom by making the first system partition 40MB, and then any further partitions any size up to 2GB each, but this didn't work when i tried it with that rom revision.

I recently upgraded my own A600 (project details here) with the following specs:

• A600 with KS3.1 rom[/*:m:3dxjrpef]
  • 2MB Chip ram + 2MB fast ram (1MB A601 trapdoor expansion + 2MB SRAM PCMCIA card)[/*:m:3dxjrpef]
  • 6GB HDD (only the first 4GB formatted)[/*:m:3dxjrpef]
  • ClassicWB + WHDLoad/KGWHD installed.[/*:m:3dxjrpef]

To use a HDD larger than 4GB you need to use an alternative file system (details on my Wiki), but the best alternative filesystem SFS will not work with an A600 as it requires at least a 68020 CPU. There are other alternative filesystems, but they are not as reliable or as easy to setup. But honestly, you don't really need an HD larger than 4GB with an A600. Instead I would recommend you look at a CF card to IDE adapter and use that with a 4GB CF card. That way you will have a solidstate HD in the A600, reducing power consumption, speeding up read and write access, being completely quiet and easy to access on a PC as you can just pull the CF card out and put it in a card reader and access it via WinUAE.

As for AMOS Pro, you will be pleased to know that this is now released into the public domain so it can legally be downloaded from free. You can download the full AMOS Pro package from my site here. The same page also includes the complete AMOS Pro manual in PDF format. Have fun!

But if you still want a real manual and disks that please post a wanted advert on here.

leohopkins

Frozen
Country
Croydon, England

Hi Thanks for the info, and the heads up on the kickstart version. If I were to buy a kickstart 3.1 chip, how easy is it to install ? Is there any soldering involved?

The CF card DOES sound very tempting I must admit, but, and this is the BUT, I want to hear that hard-disk click and squeak and the hard disk light to flash.......its just nostalgic. Nothing can beat the good old "winchester" ;-)

Also, thanks for the link to Amos Pro, I noticed on the site there is loads of other stuff (such as penpal, wordwoth 7.1 etc, etc) but no downlink to them ?

Also......any ideas what sort of equipment id need to run Amiga OS 4.1? Reason I ask is looking at the screenshots i doubt the original spec (even if upgraded with ram) A4000 would be up to the task?

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Hi Leo & Welcome to AmiBay! :D

Just wanted you to be aware, OS 4.1 is not for Classic Amigas;
Only OS4.0 Classic is available & as said earlier, you need a PPC card in a Classic Amiga by way of CSPPC for A3/4K's or BPPC for A1200's.

Not nit picking here, but OS4.1 is not for Classic Amiga hardware & it's an important fact! :wink:

To get OS4.0 Classic up & running, you will need either of the above cards & a minimum of 128Mb Ram for best performance.
This gives you 64Bit memory addressing on the CSPPC & whilst the BPPC can handle 256Mb via 2 x 128mb simms (providing you have the SCSI Version) it doesn't access the ram on a 64Bit address range afaik.

Having sorted the core, you will need a 24Bit capable card in your Classic Amiga to get the best out of the OS4.0 experience.
CVPPC for CSPPC is a good choice, as is BVPPC for the BPPC card. Other alternatives for 24Bit displays under OS4.0 Classic is to have a PCI bus available in either the A3/4K range or A1200 series. You could then use ATI or Voodoo PCI based Chip sets along with others for your display & flat panels look absolutely gorgeous!

Unfortunately, the poor Emulation & lack of traditional hardware support makes it a very poor emulation considering the Amiga Hardware in its hey day could "out emulate" anything on the planet! I sold 3 x CSPPC cards in recent months based on how I felt about how OS4 had ended up being developed.
Traditionally, these cards were originally designed to run on the Native Amiga CPU instruction & use the PPC in parallel to compute things far far quicker. OS3.9 got a long way there with WarpUP development included but whilst being trick @ running Quake etc, its just poor compared to what you can get for a lot lot less moolah for a modern Pee Cee. :shock:

Poor emulation is seeing a Registered Copy of iBrowse 2.4 on OS3.9 with 68060 out perform PPC @ 233Mhz under OS4.0 Classic. That's just appalling! :|

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Google?

Talk to these people

I'm sure they can tell you everything you need to know. :wink:

Please post a Wanted Ad for your Amos Professional and Compiler here & remove the last line on your first post.

It'll keep the forums in correct manner.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

leohopkins said:
Hi Thanks for the info, and the heads up on the kickstart version. If I were to buy a kickstart 3.1 chip, how easy is it to install ? Is there any soldering involved?

Nope. You just open the case, remove the top metal shielding from the motherboard, then the kicsktart rom is socketed. You just need to remove it carefully with a flat blade screwdriver and then insert the new 3.1 rom. Very easy process.

The CF card DOES sound very tempting I must admit, but, and this is the BUT, I want to hear that hard-disk click and squeak and the hard disk light to flash.......its just nostalgic. Nothing can beat the good old "winchester" ;-)

You would still get the flashing HD access light as the Amiga accessed the CF card. It's still going to be connected to the internal IDE port in exactly the same way as a real HD. You wouldn't get the sound that is true, but I can live without that.

Also, thanks for the link to Amos Pro, I noticed on the site there is loads of other stuff (such as penpal, wordwoth 7.1 etc, etc) but no downlink to them ?

You are welcome. We don't currently have many other software titles available to download in their page entries on the site due to copyright. We are currently seeking it for as much Amiga software as we can, but it is hard to track down many of the original developers and publishers. And as we find software has been made freeware we instantly make it available too.

Also......any ideas what sort of equipment id need to run Amiga OS 4.1? Reason I ask is looking at the screenshots i doubt the original spec (even if upgraded with ram) A4000 would be up to the task?

As Kin said, you need a PPC powered system to run AmigaOS4.

Amiga OS 4.0 classic will run on an A1200 or A4000 that has a PPC accelerator fitted.
Amiga OS 4.0 will run on the Amiga One which was a PPC only Amiga released a couple of years ago in a limited production run. These are now very rare.
Amiga OS 4.1 is the latest version and will currently only run on the SAM440 or Amiga One systems. It will not run on any classic Amiga hardware, even with a PPC accelerator fitted.

Remember thant AmigaOS 4 is very different to older Workbench versions. It looks similar to Amiga OS 3.9, but it is not backwardly compatible, and because it is running on completely new PPC based hardware the kickstart and custom chipsets of the classic Amiga range are missing so you cannot run most games, demos or productivity software on Amiga OS 4. You do get a JIT emulator to attempt to run older Amiga software, but it is a poor substitute for the real older Amiga models.

For me Amigas were the 68K range of models released by Commodore and the newer PPC OS4 systems are not the same in any shape or form.

leohopkins

Frozen
Country
Croydon, England

Thanks for the info.

Also, incidentally, does anyone have any hints / tips on how to clean up "case yellowing". Yesterday I took the case of my A600 and i tried scrubbing with bleach, washing powder, toilet duck, soaking it in boiling water, scrubbed it with a brillo. its better, but only very very marginally. does anyone know of anything that works well ?

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Now that's a subject I can help with. I suggest you read these threads:-

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=3 ... t=peroxide

The first thread is a bit of an epic one, but is worth reading as it shows how the yellowing process occurs as well as how the process to reverse it was developed.

I am a former industrial chemist and I worked extensively on this with rkauer, tonyyeb and many others worldwide and I guarantee that it works. Check out the Commodore 64 case that I cleaned up on page 7 of the first thread!!

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

@Merlin

Would you be able to write up an article about cleaning and restoring Amiga cases for the classicamiga Wiki?

Credit would obviously be given to yourself and all others involved in the development of the process, plus link backs to the original EAB threads so that anyone interested can read through how the process evolved.

The problem at the moment is that there is no easy to follow step by step guide detailing this process for anyone to quickly access and read through. Having such a guide on the Wiki would be very useful. And including photos of the stages of the process, plus some before and after stops of different cases on the page would complete it well.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ H

WOT! - Off site Linking!? :LOL: :LOL:

leohopkins

Frozen
Country
Croydon, England

Hi Thanks for the info; damn I wish my wife was a bleach blonde. lol. Ill have to actually buy some now. grumble grumble. lol.

Digressing a little, I loaded up Mini-office the last night, went into the word processor and then started rolling around the floor laughing at the fact that wordpad in windows has more features. Okay, something just HAS to be done about that. The reason I say that is because I could have probably written mini office in C or in BASIC and it would have taken me about a day to knock up a featureless programme such as that. My next question is; if I get back into programming (for the amiga) is there much of a market for apps etc ? - Im fairly new to the modern day Amiga scene, so just putting the "feelers" out really on that. Also who owns Amiga Inc now and what are they doing at the moment if anything?

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

There are lots of other word processors for the Amiga. Wordworth for example is quite feature rich. And there are quite a few great text processors/editors too.

The software market is all but dead as far as commercial Amiga software goes. Most developers these days create software under freeware licenses such as GPL. About the only market that you might sell a few copies of software would be PPC Amiga OS 4 native software, but even for that most is public domain or freeware.

As for the currently ownership of the Amiga rights. Amiga Inc. own the rights but have no real interest in the Amiga or its continued development. There is an ongoing dispute with the license they gave to a couple of other companies for the rights to develop the Amiga One hardware and the AmigaOS4 OS, and this is the reason their development has been so slow.

leohopkins

Frozen
Country
Croydon, England

I see,

Could they not be forced to sell the Amiga Inc acquisition to someone who has a genuine intererest in its development?

If I had control of the company what I would do is work soley on the software OS and on construction of daughter-boards for the PC.

There would be no point in trying to bring out new Amiga's such as the good old days of the A1000 - A4000T. Simply because it wouldnt make much business sense (everyone has a PC or a Mac nowadays)

At present if you have a PC you have two main choices of operating system: Windows or Linux. Windows is fine but expensive and they hold the monopoly. Linux is free, however its compatible with almost nothing, tricky to set-up and not very user-friendly....

Hence, I would create Amiga OS 5 to be a unix-based, user friendly, feature rich, easy to set up and easy to use cross-platform OS, (It would run on either PC or Mac) and it would be licensed for around £15-£20 a copy. Peanuts !! - It would run the old Amiga software and it would be compatible with any windows application, games software and drivers (tricky to do but definately doable!)

Then i'd go about creating daughter-boards for the PC; aimed at the professional market. Video-toasting type cards; music cards, Physics cards, etc, etc, etc. Id make sure these cards were well worth the money and kicked ass. Here's the only catch though - they would only work if you are running Amiga OS. :)

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Well Leo,

If software World domination is what you are after, don't let us hold you back....

Oh, and if you could write this wonderful software so that it can run on a 2Mb A600 that would be great.... :)

When will it be ready? "Just two more weeks....??"

/Sarcasm mode off

Merlin

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Harrison said:
Would you be able to write up an article about cleaning and restoring Amiga cases for the classicamiga Wiki?

Credit would obviously be given to yourself and all others involved in the development of the process, plus link backs to the original EAB threads so that anyone interested can read through how the process evolved.

The problem at the moment is that there is no easy to follow step by step guide detailing this process for anyone to quickly access and read through. Having such a guide on the Wiki would be very useful. And including photos of the stages of the process, plus some before and after stops of different cases on the page would complete it well.

OK Harrison, I'm on it; I'll see what I can put together over the weekend as a draft for you to look at. How much of "The Science Bit" do you want in the article?

leohopkins

Frozen
Country
Croydon, England

Merlin said:
Well Leo,

If software World domination is what you are after, don't let us hold you back....

Oh, and if you could write this wonderful software so that it can run on a 2Mb A600 that would be great.... :)

When will it be ready? "Just two more weeks....??"

/Sarcasm mode off

Merlin

lol. No, the days of attic programmers are long gone; you'd need a team of at least 30-40 professional programmers to pull off such a package. And no, sorry but it definately would not run on an A600, not even on an A4000T with all the bells and whistles. Apple Mac has gone Intel, perhaps its time the Amiga does too ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom