New TV hunting woes. Tips needed :(

DojoDan

Blogger
Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
Hi all

We've had a Matsui CRT for years but it's starting to show it's age. We don't need 4k as we don't have Sky or netflix. We looked at the new 2015 Sony range, which is 800hz, 1080p, no 3d. Which at 500 for 43" is great, but they seem to have like a 5mm shadow around the edge, particular the bottom. All the new Sony range are the same. Is this normal or will it get worse over time? Also, upscaling and Hz is a big issue. If we go for a 4k, are we paying for the panel and getting worse tech behind it if the tv is the same price as a 1080? I can imagine an upscaler in a 4k tv needs to do more work so is that going to introduce lag? Kinda want to hook up the 360 and 16bit stuff. Any help would be great, thanks. Oh and looking for 40/43", thanks!

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I will second Samsung. Only make TV I buy. Have owned 3 to date and currently have a main 40" one.

Panasonic and Sony are also good, but I don't think they are quite as good.

Avoid LG.

DojoDan

Blogger
Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
Only reason I was looking at the Sony ones was because they weren't 4k. I figured we'd get a better 1080p tv than a 4k at the same price point? Plus I thought native 1080 would look better than 1080 upscaled to 4k right? That's my only worry with a 4k. Am I over thinking it?

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I give my vote to Sony. We've had a Sony 40" 720p set running for 8 years now without a hitch.

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
also vote for Sony, the 50" set we have is excellent (Very thin) , also plays MKV files via USB HDD or network :)

I like the fact that with sony they update it quite regulary just like the PS3 we have

Samsung is also good (our last set and lasted several years before the caps gave up on psu, on daily)

forgot to say..

with a thin led panel don't expect much from the built in speakers.

the older samsung set we had was great as it was thick and chunky it had decent speaker and bass, the sony,, well,, get separate speakers :D

Last edited:

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
Defo will recommend the Samsung range also if on a budget then take a look at the Panasonic TV`s their excellent value

RED IMPACT

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
My first HD TV (720p) was a Samsung and it's still going strong now in the kids room. Have a 50" Samsung in the living room and a Sony in the bedroom...

both the Sony and Samsung will see you right...aesthetics along with specs and connectors to consider between them. I lean more toward Samsung though overall!

Matt3o

Country
Italy
Region
Florence
another vote for sony. I've got a 42" sony 4-5 years ago and it's the best panel I had so far (tried Panasonic, Samsung and Sharp). On my panel I do not experience any halo to the bottom, but I guess it's a per-model thing.

theantmeister

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Hampshire
I find the processing on Samsung TVs jarring and unpleasant.

My friend has a massive Samsung TV and it made Temple of Doom look like Days of our Lives. Awful awful awful. Some people don't notice it though, but maybe try one before you buy it.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

My friend has a massive Samsung TV and it made Temple of Doom look like Days of our Lives. Awful awful awful. Some people don't notice it though, but maybe try one before you buy it.

It all depends on the model of TV. All manufacturers turned out large versions with low resolution 720p displays at some point with cheap decoders, which make the image look blocky. You won't get that issue from current models. Only the cheap unknown Chinese brands you see in supermarkets.

It's definitely worth getting a smart TV. My Samsung is brilliant for streaming films from my server. I've got it connected via wired ethernet, but it did also work fine over wifi. I don't really use the apps it comes with, but you have access to things like youtube and all the digital catchup services like iPlayer.

I would also recommend you buying it through John Lewis because you get a free 5 year warranty with all their TVs.

A great example similar to mine is: http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue...-with-freeview-hd-and-built-in-wi-fi/p1939927

If you did want to go for a 4K version then they currently have deals, such as http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue...-with-freeview-hd-and-built-in-wi-fi/p1917568

Regarding sound. All flat panel TVs have much weaker sound compared to the CRT home cinema TVs of old, and lack a lot of bass. However my current Samsung actually has a pretty decent sound output and it isn't too tinny. Having the TV close to a flat wall produces better sound and more bass than having them freestanding, and that is true for most makes as they all have downward facing drivers.

Regarding 4K. I'm not bothering yet because the technology is still fairly new and there isn't a huge amount of content anyway. BT are releasing their 4K Sport channel soon, and Sky are supposed to be doing something soon. But you will need at least Infinity 2 capable of 35Mbps to receive it. Also most 4K TVs can only manage 30Hz, which is OK for films, but 60Hz would be much better for smooth motion and only expensive 4K TVs can handle higher refresh rates.

theantmeister

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Hampshire
It all depends on the model of TV. All manufacturers turned out large versions with low resolution 720p displays at some point with cheap decoders, which make the image look blocky. You won't get that issue from current models. Only the cheap unknown Chinese brands you see in supermarkets.
Oh, it isn't the picture quality, which is actually quite good, it is the movement of it. I believe it has this feature that interlaces frames or something to make 24hz look like 100hz. As you say "smooth motion".

Again, it isn't something everyone notices and it doesn't affect broadcast TV, but it is an issue if you're planning on watching a lot of Bluray movies on the TV and you're susceptible to it.

Also, if you're using an external sound system, the processing does introduce quite a lag. You can compensate for it though.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Do you mean sound lag if you are outputting the audio from the TV to an AV AMP or soundbar?

That is definitely not recommended and always produce lag and audio artifacts because you are processing the audio multiple times, especially if you are playing a BluRay from a player into the TV and then out again. Instead you should perform it the other way, with HDMI from the BD player into the AV Amp and then HDMI into the TV. This is how I've always done it and never have any lag or sync issues. And if you can't input HDMI then use optical cable from the player to the AMP and HDMI to the TV. Only thing you should then need to setup is audio distance delay between speakers in your setup to ensure sound is reaching your seating location all at the time time (you do this my telling the amp the distance you are from each speaker, or as is the case with my current AMP, just connect the special speaker and it will do this for you).

Regarding motion issues. Your friend needs to check if his TV is running 1080i or 1080P. If he is running interlaced then it might produces some motion issues, but in progressive it should be nice and smooth. I have no issues with my Samsung in 1080P Also as I said before, it also depends on the model of TV being used. Older processors did have some motion issues on all makes.

theantmeister

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Hampshire
Do you mean sound lag if you are outputting the audio from the TV to an AV AMP or soundbar?
I could be wrong, but I think he has the bluray player (a PS3 in this case) connected to the AV amp via HDMI, which is then connected to the TV. At "default" settings, there is a delay between the sound and the picture (most noticeable on lip sync).

Regarding motion issues. Your friend needs to check if his TV is running 1080i or 1080P. If he is running interlaced then it might produces some motion issues, but in progressive it should be nice and smooth. I have no issues with my Samsung in 1080P Also as I said before, it also depends on the model of TV being used. Older processors did have some motion issues on all makes.
He has had the TV for a while I suppose (5 years maybe?). Anyway, it is something to look out for if that kind of thing bothers you. Especially on Samsung TVs that seem to do more processing than other makes.

I have a Panasonic plasma TV that has basically zero processing (which is why I bought it). Yes, it uses more juice and, yes, the screen will die in 1000 years, but it gives what I feel is the most accurate presentation of the source material.

I do sometimes wish it had more "smart" functionality though. Being able to play youtube or display photos from a USB stick is a nice feature. Mind you, then you're adding your TV to the list of things that ask if you want to install a software update...

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa

Second this. Every Samsung panel I've seen, has made even a triple-A budget movie look like a bloody reality show.

On the other hand I'm not too keen of Samsung Smart TVs spying on their users either.

Last edited:

ej2095

Country
UK
Region
Tipton, West Midlands
i just wonder down to currys had a look my self then wondered over to richer sounds and asked them then ordered one online as it was cheaper

DojoDan

Blogger
Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
Hmm thanks for all the help guys, most appreciate. Definitely a lot to ponder over. With Samsungs, is there a minimum PQI rating I should be aiming for? Also, Harrison, you said 4ks have a limited refresh rate, especially in the lower end. Is this something I should be concerned with? I can definitely tell the difference in PC World/Currys with the cheaper (say £399) TVs than say Sonys 800Hz range (£500+). I couldn't go with something that is juddering :(

Retro-Protect

Blogger
Country
England
Region
Nottingham
Nothing Wrong with LG. we had one of the very early LG 19" flat screen tv's and i still use this for my C64 & Spectrum. As for the HD stuff, we got one of the first LG 3D cinema Smart tv's. Great picture, Great 3D (1 pound per pair of glasses as apposed to the battery operated trash of the other makes. erm! around £90 a pair i seem to remember?) Great Interface. No waving your hands about shouting and clapping like a chimp. Also has played every movie file i've thrown at it through the USB input. I would only avoid SONY as it may have that software that won't allow downloaded movie playback?

RobA1200

Country
England
Region
watford
I've always gone panasonic - never had an issue - picture always good - and friends with similar size units always comment the panasonic looks better than samsung or lg.

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
I'd recommend Panasonic first with Samsung a close second. Panasonic gets full marks because they still include S-Video on many models and the chipset they use is extremely "Retro friendly". Samsung are also good but they tend to ignore S-video and if they have RGB (SCART) it's not great at syncing to dodgy (almost) 15Hz sync signals from my favourite 8-bitters. Panasonic seems to properly sync and display anything you throw at it.

JVC are the worst, despite having S-video quite often, they won't sync to anything that is even slightly off a perfect signal.

Bryce.

Last edited:
Top Bottom