Newbie, interested in Amigas again!

Dash

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Berkshire
Hi folks. Another newbie here.

I recently sold all my Amiga stuff. :( It had been sat up in the loft for years. And even that stuff wasn't the original stuff I owned when I was a kid. It was just stuff I bought a few years ago for nostalgia reasons, but then never actually made any use of, as space in our house is a bit sparse and I didn't really have anywhere to set up the kit.

Like most folks, I suppose, I was very into Amigas in my teens... A long time ago! I had an A500 when I was about 12, and remember saving for quite a while to buy myself a 20MB A590 HD for it, a year or so later. That purchase was probably the defining moment of my interest in IT in general. I guess many people will remember the first time they upgraded their computer to have a hard disk.

About another year later I upgraded it to a 52MB GVP. (A few weeks ago, I thought these were as rare as hen's teeth, but having found this forum, I see there are a few about!)

Another year on and I sold my A500 setup to fund the purchase of an A1200 with an internal 60MB drive. It was an awesome machine, and I got a lot of fun out of it. But at that time, I was switching my attention towards PCs, so - looking back - the A1200 doesn't hold the nostalgic value that an A500+HD does for me.

Anyway... Fast forward to now, and hear I am, having just sold a load of Amiga kit. And in the process of selling it, and thinking to advertise the sale to fellow enthusiasts, I joined the EAB. And then found myself hooked again, having just parted with all my kit! In the EAB, I was learning loads of cool stuff, and learning how to make use of stuff like WinUAE and WHDLoad.

And now I suddenly find myself interested in the hardware again. Which is why I'm here. ;)

PymerOne

Noob pur sang
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands, Europe
Region
NoordHolland, Far side of civilisation's border.
Welcome Dash ;)

Funny how the very action of selling Amigas brings back all those old memories that make you want a A500 again.
Just make a little bit of room for it in your life, it has its hooks in you ;))

Grtz, PymerOne.

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
Welcome to Amibay, and welcome back (again) to the Amiga. :)

The rules on here are a little different to buying and selling on other web forums, please take a little time to have a read through our rules so as to avoid making any accidental mistakes.

That said, enjoy your stay. This is a great little community and there is a wealth of experience and knowledge quite literally at your fingertips.

Dash

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Berkshire
Welcome Dash ;)

Funny how the very action of selling Amigas brings back all those old memories that make you want a A500 again.
Just make a little bit of room for it in your life, it has its hooks in you ;))

You're so right. We're thinking about buying a bigger place next year, so hopefully there will be more room *in the house* as well as *in my life*.

My only concern is that I'll spend ages mucking about with the Amiga because it's nostalgic, when what what I should be doing is actually being more proactive with my time...

Welcome to Amibay, and welcome back (again) to the Amiga. :)

The rules on here are a little different to buying and selling on other web forums, please take a little time to have a read through our rules so as to avoid making any accidental mistakes.

Thanks for the welcome. And thanks for the heads up on the buying / selling rules. I had spotted them already. :) I have to say, I'm really impressed with the rules and framework you guys have put around buying and selling here. I belong to a range of boards (on other topics), and rarely have I seen such well established structure and process.

Dash

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Berkshire
I'm sure I replied to you guys on this thread, but I'm not seeing it! I don't think I'm being moderated??? I've noticed my posts in other forums are appearing okay. Weird.

But anyway, thanks very much for the welcome. :)

I've read the rules about buying and selling, and have to say that you guys have a really well structured approach to buying and selling here. I'm a member of several boards (on different topics), and none of them have established such a good set of rules to support buying and selling.

(My comments may end up looking very repetetive, if it turns out my last post was moderated and suddenly appears!!)

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
Ah yes, that would be our automated system kicking in. It waits for approval of posts if you quote or add hyperlinks if you are below a certain post count.

This helps combat Spammers but can be a little annoying for new members.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Welcome back to the scene Dash, best of luck in your projects!

I was the same as you a year ago, I came to sell my A1200 and A500, well sold the A500 but when I found Classic Workbench :bowdown:

I ended up upgrading my A1200 and then, well if you look at my sig, things have got pretty silly since :whistle:

Enjoy your stay!

Steve.

ck1200

CBM & Retro Mad
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
North Wales
Welcome to the forum good to see you here :)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
/Zetr0 received a letter with a sevenoaks post mark on the stamp

awww this great - I got a letter from a fellow AmiBayer.... let me read it aloud to you guys...

*ahem

Dear Mr Zetr0,

You might better know me as Mrs Fitzsteve.... I am writing to inform you that I have recently purchased a firearm from a local farmer... he called it betsy a trusty shot gun...

Anyway this letter is just to inform you that I miss my husband and for your efforts in this you need to get your afairs in order..

Best wishes

Mrs Fitzsteve
:blink:

errr... errr...... guys......

know anywhere I could buy a new passport?:unsure:

@Dash

Hiya there

Welcome to the 'Bay,

Remember validation - starts in the mind =)

ck1200

CBM & Retro Mad
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
North Wales

awww this great - I got a letter from a fellow AmiBayer.... let me read it aloud to you guys...

*ahem

Dear Mr Zetr0,

You might better know me as Mrs Fitzsteve.... I am writing to inform you that I have recently purchased a firearm from a local farmer... he called it betsy a trusty shot gun...

Anyway this letter is just to inform you that I miss my husband and for your efforts in this you need to get your afairs in order..

Best wishes

Mrs Fitzsteve

Lol on the letter !!!

Does Mr's Fitz go on the odd game at all though steve? my better half has become fond of lemmings (y) just need to throw a few more in the mix now :D

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Hello Nacho Libre (aka Dash),

It's unfortunate, but once Miggy addiction gets under your skin, it never really goes away.... we can prescribe a daily dose of retro goodness via our site to help you get through it though.

Welcome to our house of hackery!!

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks

*ahem

Dear Mr Zetr0,

Best wishes

Mrs Fitzsteve
:blink:

errr... errr...... guys......

know anywhere I could buy a new passport?:unsure:

@Dash

Hiya there

Welcome to the 'Bay,

Remember validation - starts in the mind =)

You a funny guy :cool:

=ck1200;111174]

*ahem

Dear Mr Zetr0,

Best wishes

Mrs Fitzsteve
Lol on the letter !!!

Does Mr's Fitz go on the odd game at all though steve? my better half has become fond of lemmings (y) just need to throw a few more in the mix now :D
Yeah she plays the odd game of Manic Miner or Chuckie egg, bit of a waste of the PPC Powah if you ask me though :whistle:

ck1200

CBM & Retro Mad
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
North Wales
Yeah she plays the odd game of Manic Miner or Chuckie egg, bit of a waste of the PPC Powah if you ask me though :whistle:

Not bad lol, although i could never get the hang of manic miner :blink:

pm on the way to you via eab too ;)

Dash

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Berkshire
I ended up upgrading my A1200 and then, well if you look at my sig, things have got pretty silly since :whistle:

Enjoy your stay!

Yes, you clearly have Amiga addiction issues! :)

Top Bottom