Nintendo 64 RGB MOD

manic23

Only Amiga Makes it Happen
Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
I got my Nintendo 64 back yesterday from TheCorfiot, he fitted the N64RGB Board from http://etim.net.au/n64rgb/ for me, I just felt compelled to let those who are interested know about this superb bit of kit.

Those of you who have a stock N64 will no doubt be aware that the composite output that you get from it is poor, you get a wishy washy blurry image, in fact my N64 had a kind of double image ghosting problem that I could never resolve, it only happened when I connected it to my Philips CM8833 Monitor was OK on my TV but this MOD has totally fixed that issue.

The quality of the signal is absolutely superb, I tried taking a video and some photos of the difference but I could not really get it to show properly how good it is. the great thing is that TheCorfiot managed to wire it in such a way that if you use a regular non RGB video cable then you get the old native composite signal as well, so if you suffer from OCD like I do you get the best of both worlds!!

If you have an N64 and don't mind altering your console, then I would very much recommend this device.

And yes it works on PAL N64's :)

Last edited:

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Sounds great! Is there anywhere in UK you can buy this board?

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
looks like it has to come from Oz mate :(

40 AUD plus shipping and import duty i guess, then fitting fees if you don't have the soldering skills yourself

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
looks like it has to come from Oz mate :(

40 AUD plus shipping and import duty i guess, then fitting fees if you don't have the soldering skills yourself

Bummer :( Id love this for my N64's.

Wasnt Zetr0 doing something similar?

manic23

Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
The whole thing including shipping from Oz workjed out at £32 for me, I was lucky not to get stung with import duty, so happy days for me, but is seems to be a bit random these days if you get stung with that or not.

And yes I did have to pay for fitting but TheCorfiot did a great job so I was happy. of course if you have the skills required then it's a very cheep solution.

sir_beaker

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Alresford
Nice, can't wait to see mine as it sounds like TC did mine around the same time (y)

The RGB mod for the "Nintendo" also looks amazing. I'll probably be placing another order for the Famicom RGB next month which I was going to get sent to TC (y)

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
I am planning on ordering a couple of these boards at the end of the month for me and my friends when he reopens his store (closed till the 27th) and I believe there is a discount for a larger order.

ill pop a thread up once it's time to order if anyone's interested?

Last edited:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
yeah, Keith did say he was going to mod my N64 at GeekFest but time ran away with us :(

so i guess he must have a solution ready..........................

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
I asked Keith at geekfest and he told me he was nearly ready but to order from Australia anyway lol

Last edited:

manic23

Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
I have to say it beats the hell out of my why Nintendo didn't include RGB output for the N64, they did for the SNES so why not the N64? very strange.

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Ok, I'm being ignorant here but just began to wonder that if you can get RGB out of an SNES with a simple cable, why it sin't possible with the N64? I mean, did Nintendo purposefully drop or alter the port they used in the SNES so that you can only get composite out of the N64? That doesn't really make much sense to me.

Good thing though that there is a solution available.

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
in some places in the world the n64 does have rgb fitted as standard.
or at least its available on the board.

Last edited:

Jamma

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Suffolk
The Nes and N64 boards are great. I have ordered a few for AUS and he always marks them down so no import charges.

Easy to install and they work a treat!

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
I am planning on ordering a couple of these boards at the end of the month for me and my friends when he reopens his store (closed till the 27th) and I believe there is a discount for a larger order.

ill pop a thread up once it's time to order if anyone's interested?

Id be interested in this Mike, and, ahem, installation :LOL:

manic23

Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
The Nes and N64 boards are great. I have ordered a few for AUS and he always marks them down so no import charges.

Easy to install and they work a treat!

Yes I might be tempted to get the NES mod next I think :)

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Manic I will be ordering a Nes RGB board for mine too when I order so I can add one for you too?

when the store reopens I'll pop up a thread

@Taj, no worries bud. I'm hoping that replacement screen for the nomad turns up soon bud, tracking shows it entered the UK last Friday and the estimated delivery was this week but it hasn't come yet

Last edited:

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
@Taj, no worries bud. I'm hoping that replacement screen for the nomad turns up soon bud, tracking shows it entered the UK last Friday and the estimated delivery was this week but it hasn't come yet

No rush buddy, I thank you for your efforts as always Mike :)(y)

Top Bottom