Status
Not open for further replies.

Caius

AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Hønefoss
Is there a way to get email notification when I receive a PM? I have chosen "Notify me on new private messages" in the Board preferences, but I still don't get any mails. I do get mail, however, when someone replies to a thread I'm watching.

Any ideas?

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Re: No email notification on new PM?

@Caius

I will look into this for you, bare with me though, a little pressed at the moment.

Caius

AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Hønefoss

No rush. Just thought I'd bring it up.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Not thread hijacking in any manner, but I have the same problem Zetr0!

Database thing maybe!?

Wouldn't think it was client Cache or a cookie thing. Fresh install of XP here gives the same!? :|

Kin

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham

I have a similar problem too.
I get an email when someone leaves me feedback but not when i recieve an actual pm.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

WOW this is a common fault it seems...

looks like i will have to do some work here then.... damn.... I thought that I could get by on good looks alone.... oh well..

Okay my tests lead me to believe the following..

If you are currently logged in you will not receive an email from AmiBay for either thread update or PM, if you choose to just close the browser window down without logging off the system will take upto I think 25 minutes (must check it might be 15minutes or even longer) to actualy log you out of the system. In that time you wont receive notification of PM's or Thread updates via email.

I tested this with a dummy account, and it seems thats the problem.. again... I will look at the logs and see whats brewing.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

What Zetr0 said is how the site does work. If you are flagged as being logged into the site, then you won't get any notification emails. Only if you manually logout of the site when you leave, or if your current server session expires do you get email notifications for new PMs.

Also if you have the site set to auto log you in with each visit then your login never truly expiring, and this could cause no email notifications will be sent from your account.

This is a feature of the site software, not a bug.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

I have exactly the same issues, I don't get any email notifications for ANYTHING.
Not for PMs of replies posted.

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham

I do have it set to log me in automatically and i always used to get email notification when i recieved a pm but in the last month or so i only get a notification when i recieve feedback and not when i recieve a pm.

Mike

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Harrison said:
What Zetr0 said is how the site does work. If you are flagged as being logged into the site, then you won't get any notification emails. Only if you manually logout of the site when you leave, or if your current server session expires do you get email notifications for new PMs.

Also if you have the site set to auto log you in with each visit then your login never truly expiring, and this could cause no email notifications will be sent from your account.

This is a feature of the site software, not a bug.

That's not entirely correct Harrison. The Hours I spent on here a day as a MegaMod would say contrary to your thesis on how phbb3 is actually working, or not as in this case. Whilst logged in to AmiBay, I use to get constant Emails whilst logged in doing my thing! - Both for PM & Thread updatidge!
Dunno wtf changed, but all of a sudden Emails for PM's just stopped & that was after I had already retired from AmiBay. I was getting Emails for Thread updates...just never an Email to say I had a PM?? The only way I knew I had a PM was to log in & visually check PM Status on the top of the Screen!? :?

Kin

*Edit* - Just got an Email notification timed @ 12.09 for another thread @ 12.23 & have been logged in for the last half-hour plus meaning Email Notifications are sent when ur Logged in!! :whistle:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

OK, I will check the server settings and double check everything. phpbb3 is setup correctly and nothing at all has been changed with the email settings since the site was setup on its current server, so there isn't any problems or issues there (unless another with admin access has changed them?).

I will let you all know if I find anything that might answer this for you.

Just to check. Are any of you running spam filters on the server side of your email accounts that could be catching any emails from amibay? It is possible that Amibay has falsely been flagged as a spamming source in recent times by some spam filtering companies. Also are any of you that are experiencing these problems using webmail? or are you all using ISP or proper server run email?

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

@Harrison

I've actually been having this issue as well. I get every message regarding thread updates that I'm subscribed to, but I stopped receiving emails when I have a PM. I know the system timeout is not a factor in my situation because I always log out of the site before closing my browser. I had not mentioned the problem before because it has not been a big deal for me since I'm on here so much.

My e-mail is done through Brinkster and I use their WebMail by default. As I said, I get all the topic update notifications so I don't think it's a spam filtering problem.

I hope this information helps you track down the issue. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance during your troubleshooting.

Thanks!

Heather

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Thanks for the info Heather. I will be investigating this this evening and doing some testing. Hopefully it is something simple that I can find easily. Maybe a configuration issue on the server as the hosting company do like to keep playing around with the server setup without telling anyone.

BTW, at a later point in the year I am going to look into moving amibay from its current shared hosting server it is on at the moment, to a dedicated server that will be sharing room with just the classicamiga forum. That should solve any of the server related slowdowns and other issues some of you have been having in the past. I will post more details closer to the time. We are also investigating a migration of the site from phpbb3 to vBulletin and I might take the opportunity to do both at the same time when the time is right.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Ah H.

Good to hear VB is being seriously considered as a replacement for phpbb3. :nod:

Perhaps a config file has become corrupted in some way RE current issues. I'm sure the Logs will be of some help!

Good luck finding solution!

Kin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom